Ameys--anyone there?

North Leigh Quarrys’ plant

Loading shovel makes the Wetherills’ look modern :laughing:

Theale

Loving these pics Muckaway (many thanks indeed) but is there any chance of making them larger so we can see more detail of the plants and lorries etc?

Here’s hoping! :sunglasses:

Unloading at Oxford Botannical Gardens

Dorchester plant (I can see Toshboys’ rose tinted glasses go misty from here) :laughing:

Couple of North Leigh Quarry Landfill

BonkeyDollocks:
Loving these pics Muckaway (many thanks indeed) but is there any chance of making them larger so we can see more detail of the plants and lorries etc?

Here’s hoping! :sunglasses:

Hi BonkeyDollocks,
There’s a limit to pic size when posting, but you can magnify them on your keyboard by pressing Ctrl and clicking on the +(plus) until you are happy with the size, similarly use - (minus) to reduce again, both are on extreme right of keyboard.
oiltreader

Premix here we come.
oiltreader

PremixQueen%20St%20Oxford.jpg

Premix Plant.jpg

Premix2.jpg

Premix00.jpg

Some more.
oiltreader

Premix London Road Headington.jpg

Premix London Road Headingto2.jpg

Premix3.jpg

Premix London Road.jpg

In the 70s.
oiltreader

Premix Didcot Power Stn.jpg

Premix7.jpg

Premix6.jpg

d222174a.jpeg

■■■■■■■■ gill:
Hello,
Ok, it’s not a Amey Tipper, but it is a Amey Owned Lorry.
■■■■■■■■ Gill

Hi ■■■■■■■■ Gill. A nice pic of a modern " Amey" but alas has nothing to do with the original Amey Group. The story goes that when AMEYS was sold by Consolidated Goldfields to Hansons Amalgamated Roadstone .the agreed merger name would be AMEY ROADSTONE CORPORATION -giving both companiesthe same identity of ARC.

After some time the Amey reference was quietly dropped --the AMEY name disappeared from paperwork,signs, and truck livery etc. and eventually the name HANSON replaced the corporate identity. thus eliminating the AMEY name entirely.

Around that time Hanson sold off the Amey Roadstone Construction to the existing management and they sought to keep their corporate identity ------Hanson would not have this! They then approached Ron AMEY .the result was he gave his name to them thus keeping the Amey name alive much to the annoyance of Hanson-- Ron Amey played no part in the Company --he was not a director or shareholder -a bit of politics maybe? thats how the local story goes and i belive it -i worked for Hanson and Amey for 25 yrs !
toshboy

This is the yard of F J Ferris at Wootton sand and shingle merchants, havn’t too much info but probably before Ameys started.
oiltreader

F J Ferris sand and shingle Wootton.jpg

oiltreader:
Premix here we come.
oiltreader

Hello Oiltreader. Thank you for all your work involved in getting so many of these old gems on the thread,some ive seen many years ago in the Company archives and often wondered what happened to them could i ask where you found them?
Thanks again mate --Toshboy

oiltreader:
This is the yard of F J Ferris at Wootton sand and shingle merchants, havn’t too much info but probably before Ameys started.
oiltreader

Hi Oiltreader… i have to admit that Ferris i dont know much about .I started at Sutton Courtenay where the pic shows (not wootton)
they had a few lorries that run out with us of the Amey Sutton pit which was next door to the pic i can only presume that the plant which was quite old at that time had been operated by Ferris and Amey had bought it --later Ferris trucks were transferred to Wootton to the tipper pool --stranglely those days all trucks garaged at Wootton and sent out daily to local pits whever needed --bit of a lottery in the mornings to where you might be sent --some pits were easier to work at----- some required hand loading!!

toshboy

A few here from Bob Hobbs site transportphotos.com/road/photos
All photos were taken by Adrian Cypher and there are many more to see on the above named site.Take a look.
CX00974-27  Foden S39.jpg
CX00974-28 Foden S39.jpg
CX00974-30  Albion Reiver LAD cabbed.jpg
CX00975-12 Dodge K1050 series.jpg
CX00975-16  Foden S39.jpg
I will post some more later.

toshboy:

oiltreader:
oiltreader

Hi Oiltreader… i have to admit that Ferris i dont know much about .I started at Sutton Courtenay where the pic shows (not wootton)
they had a few lorries that run out with us of the Amey Sutton pit which was next door to the pic i can only presume that the plant which was quite old at that time had been operated by Ferris and Amey had bought it --later Ferris trucks were transferred to Wootton to the tipper pool --stranglely those days all trucks garaged at Wootton and sent out daily to local pits whever needed --bit of a lottery in the mornings to where you might be sent --some pits were easier to work at----- some required hand loading!!

toshboy

At Cothill if you only wanted a small amount of sand, the “the coffee jar” was where you paid your money :laughing: Some of the old time labourers and builders I deliver to still fondly remember the sand from there…

Muckaway:

Hi Muckaway.
Do you remember the “Chaseside” shovel ? usually a Ford farm tractor conversion with a winch drum at the back operating cables; as you say even makeing the old Wetherill look modern----------------toshboy

toshboy:

Muckaway:

Hi Muckaway.
Do you remember the “Chaseside” shovel ? usually a Ford farm tractor conversion with a winch drum at the back operating cables; as you say even makeing the old Wetherill look modern----------------toshboy

Hi toshboy
I can remember seeing an old Chaseside shovel like that, in a quarry or sand pit years ago can’t remember where though.
cheers
John.