ERF on middle east work

hi all

has anyone got any info on this ERF

CHEERS
GAZ

G’day mate,
Sorry I’ve not got anymore info on it,but I did find another picture. It sure looks the part,the wheel base is huge,I like the home made bull bar and the plastic crow sat on the miror arm.

Someone must have seen it about.

Hi all,
My sources tell me that it belonged to Nick Ball (N B overland) thats all i know.Paul

Yes that did belong to Nick Bull, and here he is.

Dave.

that is a cool looking motor… :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

hope there are more pics to come…

Is that a B or a C series …■■ am not sure the cab to me looks like a C … but the grill looks like a B… if that makes sense to anybody…■■ :blush: :blush:

man-tga:

Is that a B or a C series …■■ am not sure the cab to me looks like a C … but the grill looks like a B… if that makes sense to anybody…■■ :blush: :blush:

It’s a ‘B’ series mate, an easy way to tell is the door handles. The ‘C’ series handles have a black plastic ‘backplate’ covering the indent in the door were the earlier B series only has a handle across the cut out. (like the one in the photo)

Ross.

bigr250:

man-tga:

It’s a ‘B’ series mate, an easy way to tell is the door handles. The ‘C’ series handles have a black plastic ‘backplate’ covering the indent in the door were the earlier B series only has a handle across the cut out. (like the one in the photo)

Ross.

chherz ross …

i thought that aswell… but that grill has thrown me a wee bit…aslo looking more at the front of the unit … inbetween the two front bumpers you see the Exposed red part of the chassis where the coupling unit is … quite comon B series tell tale… :question: but the rest of the cab looks to modern to be C …

think i need more Jack Daneils… :sunglasses:

What engine would be in that then ? Gardner 180 ? :confused:
only joking . . . tin hat ready :laughing: :laughing:

bigr250:

man-tga:

Ross.

Look at the steps under the doors - angled cut-outs are B-Series, Flat steps are C-Series. Fuel tanks were squared on the B-Series and round on the C-Series. Air-intakes on the B-Series factory sleeper were under the cab - they were up the back of the cab on the C-Series. Indicator lenses were a different size and located differently.

The grilles were smaller on the C-Series and had brushed metal embellishment all the way round. The ERF letters were spaced further apart on the C-Series grille too. The rear windows on the cabs were only half the size. Generally speaking the panels on the sleepers were pretty much the same; the vast majority of the revisions were internal.

davemackie:
Yes that did belong to Nick Bull, and here he is.

Dave.

whats nick up 2 now days last time i see him he was doing a seller & he told me he was jacking it all in & going to work in a scrap yard back in retford

NZ JAMIE:
G’day mate,
Sorry I’ve not got anymore info on it,but I did find another picture. It sure looks the part,the wheel base is huge,I like the home made bull bar and the plastic crow sat on the miror arm.

Someone must have seen it about.[/quote
This unit could have started life with Millfields of Horbury, looks like one of their cancelled export motors they had. Think they were originaly ment for a customer in Saudi.

that trailer looks like the one that i ended up with ,had a headboard tank and a belly tank on it , was banana shape when fully loaded :smiley:

I remeber seeing that ERF at the Dartford tolls in the late 90’s, sounded great, looked very dirty and full of Eastern promise!

The ERF in question was indeed one of Millfields. An ex Mid East export order which had been cancelled. Nick Bull bought it about 20 years ago at an auction. It was a 4x2 lhd when he got it but soon made a “few alterations”…

He cut a tag axle off an old Volvo F10 and grafted that on. Originally the ERF had a straight 8 Gardner but it blew up on Nick’s first trip to Spain! :imp:
He then took the complete engine and gearbox out and put a 290 ■■■■■■■ in coupled to a 13 speed Fuller. It was high geared and according to Nick “it flew”! :smiley:
He then used it on regular runs to Istanbul.

There was NO heater in the ERF and during the winter Nick told me he used to drive it wearing rigger boots, overalls and his sleeping bag!!!
He said he never piped the heater up. :confused: and when it got “really cold”, he used to put his gas cooker on the engine hump and have it going while he was driving along !

Nick sold the ERF onto a lad from Bridlington then it went onto someone who was running it to Bulgaria. and last time Nick saw it, it was painted all black.

Anyone know were it is nowadays■■? I wonder if its somewhere on the restoration scene?

Hi guys

thanks for all the info,

truckerash

flamin eck, he must have been freezin his coblers off

could you ask Nick if he has any more pics that could be put up on here, especially of all the stuff mounted behind the cab, because ive just bought a smiths 1/48 b series white metal kit & i am hoping to make as a near replica as i can.

also ash, i loved your Robinsons f89 in TMW.

cheers
gaz

It’s been a while…but I spoke to Nick Bull today. He was telling me a bit more about the ERF. It was a long chassis to start with - 3.6m - even before he added the extra Volvo axle!!
The truck had a 600 litre fuel tank on each side of the chassis AND a 400 litre one mounted behind the cab!!

He will try and find some photos soon…watch this thread as they say.