roping and sheeting

Lawrence Dunbar:

No comment! Dennis.

Bewick:
Probably draw some flak for this shot which was at our little depot at Hockcliffe and shows the back ends of two loads of reels probably ex Reeds,Maidstone.Shot at a time when there was a shortage of new trailers and at a busy time,well I bought 5 Bodens,secondhand,that had belonged to a haulier from Oldham where they’d been built! They all had this underslung cabinet built under the backend which had been used to carry the sheets and ropes.The idea appeared to OK but they were always wet or damp and we didn’t reckon them but they ran for a while until we put them through the W’shop and removed them and returned the backends to standard,oh! and re-paint them as well.IIRC fleet no 66 had ISO locks.

Looknig beyond the trailers you certainly had a cross-ection of the community in you fleet at the time Dennis, an Atki’ Borderer parked next to A Volvo F88! Hope the early starters didn’t get choice of wagon!
Regards Chris

Bewick:

Bewick:

Bewick:

Taking the first scenario,I am certain that with one hours “induction” on the latest spec tractor any one of the so called “old duffers” on the thread would be “up to speed” and quite capable of piloting a 44ton outfit to London and return to Glasgow( if the modern day “jockey” receives the same kind of “training” it would be a doddle for an “old un” to grasp easily!)Right oh! the load (6am),and in keeping with the latest methods,“reverse your trailer onto that hole in the wall Drive” no need to open the curtains! but it is quite easy to open a curtain if needs be!! In goes 26 shrunk wrapped pallets,full width of the trailer so no need for additional strapping.Close rear doors,get the notes,and off we jolly well go(say 7am).Out of Glasgow and south on the M74,Ooo,goody gum-drops Motorway all the way to London @ 56 mph up hill and down dale( legal breaks taken of course!) 400 miles listening to Radio 2,what could be easier,lifes a ■■■■■!!! The motor would probably be pulling into the depot in the London area at,say 5 or 6pm,drop trailer and couple up to another loaded one for return trip next day.Park up in truck stop,nice shower,good meal but oh!dear not many other lads to chat to as they’er all sat in their sleeper cabs alone,watching tele or texting or maybe reading/looking at pictures layed on their bunks!!! Alot different to 50 years ago when drivers had a good craic and even went for a pint,but I suppose its a sign of the times but by no means an improvement! Next day off back to Glasgow up that 400 miles of boring Motorway! Simples! 2 days,absolute doddle!! Dennis.

Might as well kick the R &S thread off again as the craft seems to coming in for some “stick” from the curtain brigade!! Bewick

Hi Bewick, do we get to see the rest of this saga?

Hi Lawrence
the photo of your leyland roadtrain wouldnt be loaded with reels of paper from blyth docks?
cheers
mick

Yes .the load was for East Kilbride,easey one to sheet up.Regards Larry

Hi Lawrence
thanks. i can remember my dad leading paper reels. out of there when he was on for fergies. he normally had either an AEC mandator or foden artic., he then went on to lead cement out of eastgate works with a dennis four wheeler again for fergies
cheers
mick

Aye, your talking earley 70s We didnt pull for Fergy in those days, I maybe know your dad., I used to go up to Newlandside Quarry. at Stanhope & I new some of the drivers then,

Davidson of Bucksburn

Bowater Scott load ex Barrow mill and destined for West Thurrock RDC circa mid 70’s.Standing at the side of the A6 in Milnthorpe.

Very nice bit of work there D. you obviousley trained your drivers very well, I hope you are proud of them, Regards Larry

Lawrence Dunbar:
Very nice bit of work there D. you obviousley trained your drivers very well, I hope you are proud of them, Regards Larry

Sure did and I sure was Larry!,no “raggy arsed” pat down and lasoo merchants tolerated at Bewick Transport!! Bit different slant on a variation to a theme here Larry,Ivan Allen one of our youngsters at the time finishing off a load of waste trim from one of the Bowater/Rexam plants for return to The East Lancs mill in Radcliffe.He would have just tipped 24 ton of brown reels and changed trailers,leaving his m/t to be re-loaded with waste trim.Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Bowater Scott load ex Barrow mill and destined for West Thurrock RDC circa mid 70’s.Standing at the side of the A6 in Milnthorpe.

It’s only worth a 9.9 because all the dolly’s aren’t in line :laughing:
ANON. :wink:

Not according to that Pickfords “wallah” from Sheffield Larry ! But I bet his Dwangs on the chains were never in line either.!! Dennis.

Bewick:
Not according to that Pickfords “wallah” from Sheffield Larry ! But I bet his Dwangs on the chains were never in line either.!! Dennis.

Dennis I always used screws either the bottle screw or the railway screw so they were all fastened to the trailer shackles in line they were a lot safer to use and a lot easier to tighten if they slackened off just a bit more work to start with :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
cheers Johnnie :wink:

sammyopisite:

Bewick:

Dennis I always used screws either the bottle screw or the railway screw so they were all fastened to the trailer shackles in line they were a lot safer to use and a lot easier to tighten if they slackened off just a bit more work to start with :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
cheers Johnnie :wink:

Sam, would a “bottle screw” be a barmaid and a "railway screw"be a lady of the night with a season ticket??
enlighten us please :smiley: :smiley: or have I just got a dirty mind? Regards Kev

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Sure did and I sure was Larry!,no “raggy arsed” pat down and lasoo merchants tolerated at Bewick Transport!! Bit different slant on a variation to a theme here Larry,Ivan Allen one of our youngsters at the time finishing off a load of waste trim from one of the Bowater/Rexam plants for return to The East Lancs mill in Radcliffe.He would have just tipped 24 ton of brown reels and changed trailers,leaving his m/t to be re-loaded with waste trim.Cheers Dennis.

I just hope none of the Dolly’s ever slip could never understand why drivers pulled on ropes this way
as the base of your spine hits the ground. :frowning: :neutral_face: if the dolly slips out.

8LXBV8BRIAN:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

I just hope none of the Dolly’s ever slip could never understand why drivers pulled on ropes this way
as the base of your spine hits the ground. :frowning: :neutral_face: if the dolly slips out.

By the sound of it Bri you must have experienced some difficulty with putting a proper Dolly knot in ( Hitch to us lads in the Norff!) How many times did you land on your arse? a few by the concern you are showing to that Bewick driver!! Put the knot on right then just give it gentle “ease” then being sure it’s good to go,Give it some “wellie” my son!!! never had one out yet,one or two misfires but never landed on my arse either.Keep on roping yea!!! Cheers Bewick.