Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

Star down under.:
We were offered the option of Rover’s 3.5 V8* in Terriers, was that an option for you?
IIRC, a Terrier was used as a service vehicle for the Austin and Morris entrants in the 1968 London Sydney Marathon. It was V8 powered. It was decided to enter the truck into the contest, as it was traveling the full distance. It went on to win its class. I don’t know if it was entered by Leyland Australia or the parent company.
Edit: *Actually, I think it was the 4.4 version, from the Leyland P76.

The Terrier wasn’t introduced until 1970 so it wouldn’t have been around in 1968, possibly the Australian’s had a different model with the same name? Of course there was a previous Leyland Terrier model back in the thirties! The only engine options here were the 4/98 and 6/98 diesel engines, the 98 was the bore size in MM’s. Early Terriers had nitrogen operated brakes, there were two nitrogen cylinders behind the bumper (one for each side) and these needed recharging reguarly. If one cylinder had less pressure than the other the braking would be uneven. The brake fluid was pumped around the system under pressure with an engine driven pump and there was a large plastic tank behind the cab containing the brake fluid. The later facelifted models reverted to a more conventional braking system though. I was actually booked into a course on the braking system at Cowley but left the dealership before going.

Pete.