C COMPTON HAULAGE FROM POOLE DORSET (With Photo's)

bump

robthedog:
bump

Strewth! That woke me up! :laughing:

Here’s one of Comptons yard Buzzer.

img040.jpg

Buzzer,
you haven’t got any pictures of their Volvos have you? I want to do a model of one, and my memory is now too fuzzy to remember what they looked like! It’s an age thing! Bad really as it was only around 1990 I used to see them on the Portsmouth-Le Harve boat!

SB139:
Hello All, here are some more Compton trucks i drove…Plenty more if anybody wants to see them…

Regards Kev

hello do you have any more photos please, I would like to use them to show my dad who use to drive for him :smiley:

Looking at some old photos and found a photo of a trip away with my grandad Wally Hawkins. This was a trip to the Sony actory in Barcelona. Missed him still x x

My grandad Wally Hawkins on Comptons.

My grandad Wally Hawkins . Comptons Barcelona trip.

Down sized them and turned, Buzzer

Yes , was at a SOFA lunch yesterday, Phill. Tommy and 2 others there.

Was Phil Grant a driver with British International and Larry Fitzgerald worked for RAE logistics out of Bromham house farm on low loader work for Dave Johnson and Phil Higgs ?

Don’t think Phil ever drove for British international , he had his own lorry for many years I think before working fo Mark . The only place I knew Larry working was for Pat Duffy.

H all, where is Phil when you need him i thought he drove a Ford Transcon on a Q plate for Mr Chandler along with John Pike before he worked for Compton’s. Could be wrong though. :sunglasses:

phill? if its daylight asleep in a laybye, if its dark asleep again,

hotel magnum:
phill? if its daylight asleep in a laybye, if its dark asleep again,

I see Phill most days driving his Mercedes hook loader for Reliance Scrap.

From British International with my memory fading there was Trevor Sweet who had a Portuguese lass who lived in the cab , Stuart Smith aka the animal , killed on the way to Morocco by hitting a broken down coach .
Ken Hughes ex Army lad, tall with a moustache , Peter Stainbridge aka jelly legs , always wore black trousers and a white shirt .

Father and son Aldridge one was called Popeye , allegedly had their trouser pockets cut out while sleeping and running money stolen but the bar with the ladies was over the bridge in Leca de Palmeria in Matosinhos .
John Povey the scouser , one hits to Lisbon in a day and a half that legally would take four days as the roads were dire and no motorway.
Didn’t Comptons sub for STS doing the TV deliveries to Greece ?

Hi all, yes comptons did a lot of subbying for STS like most tellys to Italy,Spain,Greece and every where else we all went. :sunglasses:

STS and Comptons on the “ Love boat “ from Southampton to Cherbourg (Stena Line ) with the grab a granny disco , cinema and swimming pool and those two crazy Canadian or American old geezers who were traffic marshals in Cherbourg who I assumed married local French lasses after the Second World War .
And the photographer who took your photo coming off the Brittany ferries in Ouistreham .

Tarmaceater:
STS and Comptons on the “ Love boat “ from Southampton to Cherbourg (Stena Line ) with the grab a granny disco , cinema and swimming pool and those two crazy Canadian or American old geezers who were traffic marshals in Cherbourg who I assumed married local French lasses after the Second World War .
And the photographer who took your photo coming off the Brittany ferries in Ouistreham .

Frank the Yank, and the Canadian guy whose name I forget were much too young to have WW2 veterans. STS were only rarely on that boat if I remember correctly. They mainly used P&O, and the Tankerville freight boat whilst that was running.
Buzzer’s lads, were regulars as were Derrick fridges, Better Keep Going, and some others.
Cheap boat, but a bloody long way from Cherbourg to Italy!

Frank the Yank and Anne Marie with the gorgeous blue eyes in the freight office who went on to own a baby clothes shop in Cherbourg .