British road Services

Another view of Covent Garden

TIDDERSON:

These shots were obviously taken in the 50’s when BRS were still very active in general haulage.When I started going into CG in the late 60’s I don’t think I ever saw a BRS motor. Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

TIDDERSON:

These shots were obviously taken in the 50’s when BRS were still very active in general haulage.When I started going into CG in the late 60’s I don’t think I ever saw a BRS motor. Cheers Bewick.

hiya,
Bet you saw plenty of Bowkers Dennis I hated the place but the pubs was open 24/7 so no need to go thirsty.never loaded out of there as a “red and ruster” thank goodness.
thanks harry long retired

harry_gill:

Bewick:

TIDDERSON:

hiya,
Bet you saw plenty of Bowkers Dennis I hated the place but the pubs was open 24/7 so no need to go thirsty.never loaded out of there as a “red and ruster” thank goodness.

They really are good old photos.1968/9 i was going in there and I don’t recall seeing a BRS motor either Dennis. One of the boozers was called the Three Bells or summat,my gaffer said it was a good spot to get some snap,30 bob for fish and chips. :unamused: That’s easy money for a rich Sheffield F and V wholesaler I said,what about the workers.The reply was if you put the hours in you could get the same in a Berni Inn on yer day off - whenever that came round.
Tw*t.

Used to park outside the Essex Serpent,King St. & its still there.

Chris Webb:

harry_gill:

Bewick:

TIDDERSON:

hiya,

They really are good old photos.1968/9 i was going in there and I don’t recall seeing a BRS motor either Dennis. One of the boozers was called the Three Bells or summat,my gaffer said it was a good spot to get some snap,30 bob for fish and chips. :unamused: That’s easy money for a rich Sheffield F and V wholesaler I said,what about the workers.The reply was if you put the hours in you could get the same in a Berni Inn on yer day off - whenever that came round.
Tw*t.

hiya,
Chris the Missus and me had "at great cost " lunch in what was one of the local market pubs a little while ago, It’s now a Canadian theme pub or something like that, Mounties uniforms and snow shoe’s all over the place, whats wrong with leaving well alone nowt wrong with proper pubs, oh yes and the beer was crap a la London.
thanks harry long retired.

oy not all london beer is crap I had a few pints of fullers spitfire last night with my youngest at canary wharf of all places,now that is not crap . fredm

fredm:
oy not all london beer is crap I had a few pints of fullers spitfire last night with my youngest at canary wharf of all places,now that is not crap . fredm

hiya,
Bet the pub was packed, I’ve bought and left more unfinished pints of beer in London than i care to remember thank goodness I only drink beer usually as a chaser but now it’s normally lager or cider I drink to do that job when away from home, which isn’t very often these days.

harry_gill:

fredm:

hiya,
Bet the pub was packed, I’ve bought and left more unfinished pints of beer in London than i care to remember thank goodness I only drink beer usually as a chaser but now it’s normally lager or cider I drink to do that job when away from home, which isn’t very often these days.

it was very quiet harry but bloody freezing cold by all that water, I wish my old man could come back for a day I don`t know what he would make of the old docks I remember sitting in his lorry as a kid in the 50s and 60s waiting to tip it would be all bloody day, the old man was never impreesed there and if he came back for a day he would say “you buy bottles of water whats the matter with ef__g tap” . have a good day mate hope the missus is on the mend, fredm

fredm:

harry_gill:

fredm:

hiya,

it was very quiet harry but bloody freezing cold by all that water, I wish my old man could come back for a day I don`t know what he would make of the old docks I remember sitting in his lorry as a kid in the 50s and 60s waiting to tip it would be all bloody day, the old man was never impreesed there and if he came back for a day he would say “you buy bottles of water whats the matter with ef__g tap” . have a good day mate hope the missus is on the mend, fredm

Hi Fred.Isn’t that Spitfire a Kent brewed beer by Shepherd Neames? Whatever, I’ve got to agree that it’s one of the best southern beers.It was a guest beer in my local in the IOM a few weeks ago and made a change from my usual local bitter. :sunglasses:

what art doing supping common ale chris , i thought you tax exiles on the island would be sipping shorts and cocktails ? anon

rigsby:
what art doing supping common ale chris , i thought you tax exiles on the island would be sipping shorts and cocktails ? anon

Eyup Dave.Aye,I usually have two pints then go on t’ cheaper blended whisky.Bitter is £2-65 a pint here,I’m only a poor pensioner like thee tha knows youth. :laughing:

anoniom

fredm:

Oh yes it is!! I think it’s the chalky water they use but you have obviously never had a pint that is brewed 'up Norff mate!! Or you defo wouldn’t make that statement!! Cheers,down the hatch Bewick.

harry_gill:

Bewick:

TIDDERSON:

hiya,

Hiya “H”,yep there always was a few of Bowkers and Alfred Dexters as well as loads of cockney firms like Paynes and the odd J & H motor.If you got in early and got backed in it was OK but if you were a bit late it was a right bloody struggle.Sometimes if one of the wholesalers had quite a bit for you the porters would try and get you to move nearer,if I could I did but then the other Porters would lose where you were parked then they’ed play hell,you couldn’t win sometimes!!!But I’ve had a few pints of Lager and lime in the boozers round CG,couldn’t face the Bitter it was “rank”!! Happy day’s “H” Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

harry_gill:

Bewick:

TIDDERSON:

hiya,

Hiya “H”,yep there always was a few of Bowkers and Alfred Dexters as well as loads of cockney firms like Paynes and the odd J & H motor.If you got in early and got backed in it was OK but if you were a bit late it was a right bloody struggle.Sometimes if one of the wholesalers had quite a bit for you the porters would try and get you to move nearer,if I could I did but then the other Porters would lose where you were parked then they’ed play hell,you couldn’t win sometimes!!!But I’ve had a few pints of Lager and lime in the boozers round CG,couldn’t face the Bitter it was “rank”!! Happy day’s “H” Cheers Dennis.

hiya,
Dennis Bowkers did a lot of fruit at one time they did it before nationalisation and after, one job i didn’t like was tomatoes from Shoreham, I couldn’t keep them straight and how i got away with clean signatures every time I’ll never know the top row was more like puree, and I always arrived with a lean to port the one and only time I would have gladly had an old tilt but they was too wise for that you couldn’t get the height therefore not the weight in one of them, I remember Yardleys of Leeds did a lot of fruit and have loaded alongside those lads on many occasions never at CG but at various docks up and down the country, could have got a start with Yardleys when staying with my sister near their yard but the memories of ■■■■■■■ fruit about came flooding back so I never took up the offer and drove tankers for Bayfords instead.

I bought a few items of BRS interest on Ebay a little while ago.They are mostly from the 50s
Harry,did you know what your gaffers were tucking into while you were eating your shepherds pie,looking out of the window at your digs,keeping an eye on your Octopus and trailer ? !!!

old 67:
11I bought a few items of BRS interest on Ebay a little while ago.They are mostly from the 50s
Harry,did you know what your gaffers were tucking into while you were eating your shepherds pie,looking out of the window at your digs,keeping an eye on your Octopus and trailer ? !!!

hiya,
Tell you what there wouldn’t have been much Octopus watching it would most likely have been unlocked that’s if the lock was working and when I’d parked and got myself to the digs that was it, the rule book said “a period of rest to be taken away from the vehicle” and I stuck like glue to the rule book, oh’ yes I did.

Bewick:

fredm:

Oh yes it is!! I think it’s the chalky water they use but you have obviously never had a pint that is brewed 'up Norff mate!! Or you defo wouldn’t make that statement!! Cheers,down the hatch Bewick.

I would have drunk more beer up north but I could never make out what the barmaids were talking about that bloody accent of theirs :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Like most drivers who had “handballed” a load of produce for the markets what really got up my nose
was some Jodrell taking the ■■■■ saying the load was short!! I bloody new it wasn’t as I had loaded
the 800 bags of spuds on my own!!! No help from the so called loaders, in fact it was usually over as
I had managed to stash a few for myself in the rows (seven across with a couple turned on the side
to make room for mine) then four the other way on top when the checker wasn’t looking :smiley: :smiley:
I wish I was as fit now. regards kevmac47

Onions got his name loading in London Docks. The checker told Onions that there were 10 bags extra so Onions gave him a fiver. Multi-dropped around London & he sold the ten bags to various clients; Came to the last drop & he was 10 bags short!