Butlers quarry,Maltby

A better view of the butlers fleet with aec’s &bedfords included either side of the commers.

Geoff dents lorry after tarmac had taken over butlers.

butlers 3.jpgI have been in touch with gary k. russell author of w clifford watts who gave me permission to put these photos of butlers on website.

B.K.RYANS leyland after a respray leaving yard on rotherham road maltby.

The Viewmaster:
I worked for Butlers in the late 60’s and early 70’s and William Varah Transport.The first lorry I drove was a Short wheelbase
Bedford with an Edbro steel body then I was given a Commer with wooden body John Taylor joined the company and he had the Bedford.
D.E.Aizlewood were selling agents for Butlers and at that time most of the material leaving the quarry was on their tickets
they had two salesmen Fred Higgins and I cant remember the other guy.They had no connection with Eccles or Steelphalt
Although we did deliver for Steelphalt and collected Slag from Stocksbridge to deliver to Templeborough.
The lorries were owned and operated by William Varah Transport from the Rotherham Road Site.I drove a Leyland and there were some Bedford KM’s the Dodges had gone by then .John Painter was one driver.
The site on Rotherham Road was the Bevan Boys Miners Camp which was bought and is still owned by William Varah and currently leased to Wincanton the warehouse is closed but Pullman Fleet Services VMU and Central Stores is there.Just seen in the Rotherham advertiser that bill varah died over the new year–alan
There were numerous nissen huts on the site and one or two brick buildings which were leased out. Varah’s built the Garage later used by Butlers and also the building by the roadside used by Tesco which was originally used by GEC Glass Bulbs.
When Bill Varah retired his brother in law and mechanic Harold Jarvis took over the bus and coach side of Varahs and Butlers moved into the new garage.
I remember Eddie Anthony he was a very amusing guy and about 25 others some mentioned on the forum.

R.I.P. bill varah who died over the new year–alan

butlers6.jpg

butlers yard.jpgI have put B.K.RYANS leyland on before but you can just make out the foden (haulmaster/ fleetmaster i can never remember.Sorry to hear about william varah,revman.

]The same foden from quarry goes for six,delivering a load to goole.Photo copyright of LEO PRATT.He has given me permission to post it.

paul motyka:
0 B.K.RYANS leyland after a respray leaving yard on rotherham road maltby.

Just noticed the Tarmac tipper coming into shot Paul. Take it this was after they had bought Butlers out? If so how come some of the ODs were still running in the old company’s livery?

Oh and excellent working shot of the six wheeler S80!

Hi bonkey,hope you are well,alwyn butler one of the directors who did not want to sell the company but was outvoted by the other two made it a condition of sale to keep the lorries in butlers colours for three years.The foden haulmaster in red being the only one then they arrived in khaki.regards paul.

Cheers for the info Paul, always interesting to hear the details. :slight_smile:

Bet there was a right mish mash of wagons out of Holme Hall at that time, half and half Tarmac / Butlers. How many were knocking around back then?

I remember going mid 90s taking a few photos one sunday afternoon and there was something like around 40 odd, half Tarmac with the rest being Amberhill.
And what of Amberhill? Were they a similar set up to Via Gellia Transport when Tarmac sold their fleet off privately?

I will check up on amberhill bonkey,see what info I can find.paul.

Butlers 01 001.jpgThis photo is the copyright of andrew martin who gave me permission to post it.The commer is ex butlers LWW 465D taken at brampton bierlow the name on the lorry is carmel possibly o/d,anyone with info please feel free to post.Possibly 1972?

Another from andrew martin,three foden S39s taken at finningley cafe between 75/78.From left to right UWT 463L driver was george brightman.VWR 221L driver was malc wright/roy walker not 100% sure.SWY 497L graham beach still working out of tarmac quarry stainton as a o/d in a 08 scania 380,8 wheeled tipper.

butlers quarry 027.jpgA couple of pics of butlers quarry 1970/80s

butlers quarry 028.jpg

butlers quarry 023.jpgTarmac plant,now dismantled after setting fire.

butlers quarry 025.jpg