Povey International

it was run by charlie ward and they had two roadtrains and volvos Ted used to drive f12 and do Italy every week i used to drive a sudden accident and do Swiss most weeks mickey floyd from Slough used to drive a volvo as well and also Donk Len Humphries one of the roadtrains and went any where being ex middle east driver

schubert58:
it was run by charlie ward and they had two roadtrains and volvos Ted used to drive f12 and do Italy every week i used to drive a sudden accident and do Swiss most weeks mickey floyd from Slough used to drive a volvo as well and also Donk Len Humphries one of the roadtrains and went any where being ex middle east driver

I’ve just discovered this forum, I’m the daughter of the owner of E B Povey & Sons Ltd (Povey International as it was known). Charlie Ward was transport manager for a few years (the less said about him the better). My dad is still in contact with some of the drivers, some have passed away, one of the greatest loss was Donk. Micky Floyd is still fighting fit and Albert Pearce has just retired at the grand of age of 76. I remember Len Humphries as well and that is correct he was an ex-middle east driver. There was so many drivers through the years as the company had been going since 1931 to 1998.

manhoot71:

Me and my mate Andrew hanging off the front of dads truck

I showed the photo to my dad, David Povey, is your dad called Sam and where was that photo taken?

Found these

1090.jpg

1089.jpg

1088.jpg

A couple of Povey’s F12s

We are loving all the old photos of the trucks, keep them coming.

My dad said that Len Humphries mentioned in a previous post has sadly died 2 years ago.

The photo of the Marguis Deutz was taken in sunny Slough in the 1970’s delivering steel for the new Queensmere Shopping Centre.

The photo of the Volvo recovery truck was taken up at Heathrow with the Post House in the background. My dad reluctantly sold the Wrecker as we called it when Povey’s closed down to a so-called friend who desperately wanted to buy it but the Wrecker was found in a scrap yard in Bristol a few years later. My dad was told and contacted a friend who bought it and is currently restoring the Wrecker to it’s former glory.

took some cherry pickers into the povey yard years ago met the boss who took me to a container with a vintage motor in i took some pics but lost them due to a dodgy film mr povey was a true gentleman

You might come across David Povey at one of the vintage rallies, he shows a couple of old lorries.
Bernard

bob-lad:
took some cherry pickers into the povey yard years ago met the boss who took me to a container with a vintage motor in i took some pics but lost them due to a dodgy film mr povey was a true gentleman

That sounds like you were delivering to AFI with the cherry pickers. My dad has still got the vintage lorries he will never sell his little babies. Nice for you to remember him I’ll show him your post.

albion1938:
You might come across David Povey at one of the vintage rallies, he shows a couple of old lorries.
Bernard

Yes he is still doing the vintage rallies, a lifelong hobby for my mum and dad.

povey international:

bob-lad:

That sounds like you were delivering to AFI with the cherry pickers. My dad has still got the vintage lorries he will never sell his little babies. Nice for you to remember him I’ll show him your post.

albion1938:
Bernard

Your dad may remember me, I’ve got Dutton’s old Albion, I’ve owned it and shown it for 42 years, used to keep it at Duttons.
Bernard

albion1938:

povey international:

bob-lad:

albion1938:
Bernard

Your dad may remember me, I’ve got Dutton’s old Albion, I’ve owned it and shown it for 42 years, used to keep it at Duttons.
Bernard

Yes my dad remembers you he thinks you live up Cambridgeshire way, he sends his regards.

povey international:

albion1938:

povey international:

bob-lad:

albion1938:
Bernard

Bernard

Yes my dad remembers you he thinks you live up Cambridgeshire way, he sends his regards.

Almost, just over the border in south Lincolnshire, regards to dad. I’ve posted this before, but as you’re new on here , I’ll show it again, taken in 1938 when it was new, outside Dutton’s yard office.
Bernard

I remember Povey’s as I lived in Slough and worked for a few company’s around the area, I used to buy fuel there sometimes and remember the T45 Interstater. One firm that I worked for was Thompson’s of Chalvey and we ended up with one of Poveys old tandem axle tilts which was put to use on general haulage.

albion1938:

povey international:

albion1938:

povey international:

bob-lad:

albion1938:
Bernard

Your dad may remember me, I’ve got Dutton’s old Albion, I’ve owned it and shown it for 42 years, used to keep it at Dutton
Bernard

Almost, just over the border in south Lincolnshire, regards to dad. I’ve posted this before, but as you’re new on here , I’ll show it again, taken in 1938 when it was new, outside Dutton’s yard office.
Bernard

He must have been a steady driver,first 2 and last rows arent secured!!

David :smiley:

[/quote]
They say the camera never lies! :smiley: The lorry was new. I’ve been informed by a guy who was the mate on it just after the war that was the farm mechanic standing next to it, as the driver presumably wasn’t about. I imagine it was being loaded for market or just got back, so a set-up for the photographer. The photograph was taken for the firm who supplied the lorry and built the body, Gibbs of Bedfont, to put in their album, the first time I saw the picture was when they lent me the album to have a look at, although I later found a framed copy in the garage. Apart from the lack of ropes, that was a typical load when it was working from Iver to and from the London markets. The boxes contained cut flowers.
Bernard

Did’nt Povey have the contract for the company that made Brut after shave, ‘‘slap it all over Harry’’.

found another one on the truckin’ in the 80’s international thread (from truckerash)

11.jpg

albion1938:

They say the camera never lies! :smiley: The lorry was new. I’ve been informed by a guy who was the mate on it just after the war that was the farm mechanic standing next to it, as the driver presumably wasn’t about. I imagine it was being loaded for market or just got back, so a set-up for the photographer. The photograph was taken for the firm who supplied the lorry and built the body, Gibbs of Bedfont, to put in their album, the first time I saw the picture was when they lent me the album to have a look at, although I later found a framed copy in the garage. Apart from the lack of ropes, that was a typical load when it was working from Iver to and from the London markets. The boxes contained cut flowers.
Bernard
[/quote]
Loved the photo showed it to my dad and Povey’s did some loads for Duttons, he said the boxes contained carnations to be exact.

chazzer:
Did’nt Povey have the contract for the company that made Brut after shave, ‘‘slap it all over Harry’’.

Yes that’s right Povey’s had the contract for Faberge for years.

norfolktrucker:
found another one on the truckin’ in the 80’s international thread (from truckerash)

Remember that truck.