Wisbech haulage?

As i have been retired 5yrs and am sumwat out of touch there was a firm i think called wisbech haulage just outside wisbech on the road to kings lynne orange livery?. Are they still going? if not anyone know what happened to them.

Regards Dave

dafdave:
As i have been retired 5yrs and am sumwat out of touch there was a firm i think called wisbech haulage just outside wisbech on the road to kings lynne orange livery?. Are they still going? if not anyone know what happened to them.

Regards Dave

Wisbech Roadways was (is) a subsidiary of Knowles of Wimblington. More recently, the Wisbech Roadways name has been used by a consortium of hauliers (Knowles, Garn and A N Other) to take on a large distribution contract jointly

240 Gardner:

dafdave:

Regards Dave

Wisbech Roadways was (is) a subsidiary of Knowles of Wimblington. More recently, the Wisbech Roadways name has been used by a consortium of hauliers (Knowles, Garn and A N Other) to take on a large distribution contract jointly

dafdave
Thanks very much for the up to date info.

Regards Dave

I went to the North Norfolk coast last Sunday and it got me thinking, an extraordinary number of large fleet operators within this area considering the lack of industry and population. I know agriculture is classed as an industry and i suppose some of their work is transporting produce but even so.

Wisbech Roadways/Knowles
Ken Thomas (much smaller now due to operators license issues)
Brett’s
Jack Richards

Slightly out of this area but not a million miles away.
Turners of Soham
Garn
Fowler Welch

Ken Thomas and Brett’s next door to each other! Must have had in their day, somewhere in the region of 150 lorries if not more between them. I’m struggling to think of another area of the country where that many large operators are based in such a small area and of course there will still be a significant amount of small operators/owner drivers.

I live in a north beds village and can honestly say there are nothing on the scale of these anywhere around this area unless you count Asda, Argos and other large D.C.’s

I did a lot of work in and out of that area in the 80’s/90’s for Sandy Melville of Kirriemuir (still on the go).
Melville was of course much smaller than the others mentioned. He used them all for backloads with the
exception of Bretts, said you need a gatling gun to get paid from them. Happy days.

A few photos of Wisbech Roadways lorries, nmp, one is from Paul Gee so hope he doesn’t mind me posting it on this thread instead of his own.

2A966A9E-B401-4D53-A35C-3587A7267149.jpeg

6384FED5-4276-4929-857A-2839AE70A91F.jpeg

“A N Other” is Jack Richards who are in with Knowles & Garns - look at http://www.wisbech-roadways.co.uk. None of the wagons working for Wisbech Roadways are in a livery, they are all Richards yellow, Knowles orange or Garn red. Wisbech Roadways used to run in Knowles livery with different branding. I don’t think there are any vehicles about still in the original livery, unless someone knows different… :unamused:

HI have any of you retired Knowles drivers got photos of old trucks i,ve put a J reg ERF on the Stoke on Trent forum page 9 its in J Harrison colours i had her
for 3 years or so on general haulage she earned me plenty of good money it would be1976ish. The bumper i think is Knowles trade mark on early motors.
now retired john

I’ve got one of my F7, A234 MEG, and I always remember that Reg plate too :smiley:
I parked her in fertilizer in the yard every night until she grew into an F10 six wheel unit :wink:

Pat