Smith of Maddiston

Hello all,
I have researched this company for 23 years. I have over 800 photographs of the fleet, employees and depots. I have 50 models in my cabinet of the fleet, you could say I am a little obsessed by this.
I am appealing to anyone with information, photos and memorabilia that they are willing to share.
Please contact me on 07393 587895 or email paulmbruce@hotmail.com.
Many thanks in advance. Paul Bruce

This picture was taken in the yard at Stirlands of Nottingham
Stirlands did a change over with Maddistons at the Stainmore Cafe on the A66

PMB:
Hello all,
I have researched this company for 23 years. I have over 600 photographs of the fleet, employees and depots. I have 50 models in my cabinet of the fleet, you could say I am a little obsessed by this.
I am appealing to anyone with information, photos and memorabilia that they are willing to share.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 35&t=54395
Have you anything to add to this topic Paul ? Old Denzil is getting desperate cheers Dan :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

PMB:
Hello all,
I have researched this company for 23 years. I have over 600 photographs of the fleet, employees and depots. I have 50 models in my cabinet of the fleet, you could say I am a little obsessed by this.

Have you anything to add to this topic Paul ? Old Denzil is getting desperate cheers Dan :laughing:

Dan, I have viewed this topic and I find it a bit silly. I have photos of a guy big j in Maddiston yard with a 240 gardner engine in. My late father who drove for S of M periodically drove one hence I know they did exist.

PMB:

Punchy Dan:

PMB:
Hello all,

Dan, I have viewed this topic and I find it a bit silly. I have photos of a guy big j in Maddiston yard with a 240 gardner engine in. My late father who drove for S of M periodically drove one hence I know they did exist.

You tell them Paul!

David

Is there any ex S of M employees on this forum? If so can you please contact me on 07393 587895.

PMB:
Is there any ex S of M employees on this forum? If so can you please contact me on 07393 587895.

I tried asking the same question years ago PMB but got “Zilch” response which I really admit was a real “wee wee” Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

PMB:

I tried asking the same question years ago PMB but got “Zilch” response which I really admit was a real “wee wee” Cheers Bewick.

Bewick, thanks for your reply but I have to at least try.

For probably the best part of 20 years the ■■■■■■■ engined Big J was the backbone of the S O M tractor unit fleet. Bewick.
I vividly remember one early morning 1969 on Charnock Richard southbound there was what was a brand new SOM Big J on it’s first night trunk absolutely smashed to ------ it had just been dropped by the wrecker and I reckon it must have been a right off by the state it was in as it looked like the Town Hall clock had been dropped on it ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
For probably the best part of 20 years the ■■■■■■■ engined Big J was the backbone of the S O M tractor unit fleet. Bewick.
I vividly remember one early morning 1969 on Charnock Richard southbound there was what was a brand new SOM Big J on it’s first night trunk absolutely smashed to ------ it had just been dropped by the wrecker and I reckon it must have been a right off by the state it was in as it looked like the Town Hall clock had been dropped on it ! Cheers Bewick.

“as it looked like the Town Hall clock had been dropped on it”. :smiley:
Not heard that in a long time Dennis. :grimacing:

Couple of photos(Falkirk Town Council Planning Office) I took off the net a while back.
Oily

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

“as it looked like the Town Hall clock had been dropped on it”. :smiley:
Not heard that in a long time Dennis. :grimacing:

Aye Chris us 'owd uns don’t forget 'towd sayings eyup ! Cheers Dennis.

Dennis

Read & Weep! The only thing that will pass a Smith’s motor is another one! (I wrote that in a story years ago and it’s been plagiarised all over the place.)
Bewick, Charlie’s & Russel o’ Bathgate left trailing in the dust!

Alex

alexsaville:
Dennis

Read & Weep! The only thing that will pass a Smith’s motor is another one! (I wrote that in a story years ago and it’s been plagiarised all over the place.)

Alex

How are you keeping Alex ? “Gy weel” I trust !
I beg to differ ( only slightly :wink: ) I had an Atki Borderer ( OJM 480L) that had 20 gears , Fuller 610 /Eaton 2 speed axle and it could catch pigeons
and pull like a train ! It was a match for anything that SOM ran no danger ! All the best for the new show venue in Dumfries ! Regards Dennis.

Dennis

Over the last year I’ve had a few problems with my health. However, I’m still here!
Hope you are well too.

Take Care
Alex

alexsaville:
Dennis

Over the last year I’ve had a few problems with my health. However, I’m still here!
Hope you are well too.

Take Care
Alex

Oh sorry to hear you’ve been off song a bit Alex so lets hope the weather improves and we can all get out and about in the sun ! I’ve had a couple of issues healthwise and am having various Scans and blood tests but as you say we’er still here but maybe not just as braw as we once were ! Regards Dennis.

Bewick:

alexsaville:
Dennis

Alex

How are you keeping Alex ? “Gy weel” I trust !
I beg to differ ( only slightly :wink: ) I had an Atki Borderer ( OJM 480L) that had 20 gears , Fuller 610 /Eaton 2 speed axle and it could catch pigeons
and pull like a train ! It was a match for anything that SOM ran no danger ! All the best for the new show venue in Dumfries ! Regards Dennis.

Reminds me of the time Jim McKelvie were on his way back to Paisley one night in his car and one of Sam Andersons passed him ont A74.Next morning he rang Sam at Newhouse and said “One of your wagons passed me ont A74 last night and I were doing 70”. Sam said “Aye,I’ll have a word with him,dunna fret”.Jim replied “Well if you sack him send him to me,I could do wi drivers like that”. :grimacing:

Buzzer

This vehicle was one of two brand new ERF A series allocated to Alloa depot in 1974 (the other being PWG 884M). Three years into its working life it was transferred to Southampton depot hence the first letter of its fleet number is S.

PMB:
This vehicle was one of two brand new ERF A series allocated to Alloa depot in 1974 (the other being PWG 884M). Three years into its working life it was transferred to Southampton depot hence the first letter of its fleet number is S.

With the demise of Guy Motors and the end of Big J production in 1974 it would cause a dilemma at SOM as to which ■■■■■■■ engined chassis they would then have to buy so I suppose ERF would have been the natural choice if a bit more pricey than what they had been paying for the Big J’s previously but I note that they steered clear of Fodens but might have tried a few Marathons ? What do the experts reckon ? Cheers Bewick.