Sleep Apnea

As Title.
Dunno if it affects many of us older drivers, or retired ones, but there is a survey at the top of the Professional Drivers board about this.
Seems to me that giving info on this subject can only help others.
Im putting this post here in case any of you have useful input, choose to fill a short form, or whatever, but dont often visit “the other place”! :smiley:

Sleep Apnea is when while asleep you stop breathing completely and you dont realise it is happening, I was diagnosed with this in 2008 as I was clinically obese, they booked me in to the general hospital in Southampton where I spent the night being filmed so as a positive result could be declared, once this was established I had to where a control mask which I forget the name of while in bed, it is uncomfortable for the wearer & more disturbing to the wife as quite noisy.
After a while being declared a diabetic also I had a stomach bypass and lost half my body weight in three months 14 stone, once this was achieved no further use of the breathing apparatus was require but still got the awful bit of kit in the wardrobe, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Sleep Apnea is when while asleep you stop breathing completely and you dont realise it is happening, I was diagnosed with this in 2008 as I was clinically obese, they booked me in to the general hospital in Southampton where I spent the night being filmed so as a positive result could be declared, once this was established I had to where a control mask which I forget the name of while in bed, it is uncomfortable for the wearer & more disturbing to the wife as quite noisy.
After a while being declared a diabetic also I had a stomach bypass and lost half my body weight in three months 14 stone, once this was achieved no further use of the breathing apparatus was require but still got the awful bit of kit in the wardrobe, Buzzer

The survey is about raising awareness amongst drivers.
Personally I think it good that we try to help in finding out more about Sleep Apnea and about raising awareness.
For any that want to help its here, and has been approved by Admin. [trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto ... 2&t=174326](https://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=174326) Anyway youre obviously very aware of it yourself (more than you want to be!) but hopefully past it all now. :smiley:

An interesting topic.

Buzzer’s post was interesting and has moved me to post this that might be offend but is not meant to. Since my retirement I spend a lot of my time in a pleasant seaside town in the Algarve, in Portugal. In the summer it is host to many tourists from around the world. But British tourists often stick out like sore thumbs as they are so often obese. Including children. I was once embarrassed my a young granddaughter gasping in horror and pointing out a wee lass who was quite grotesquely overweight. My post is to ask why is this particularly British? Obviously not uniquely but my observations are quite stunning.

Buzzer mentioned that he was overweight that, possibly, led to his Diabetes diagnosis. Not as life-threatening as it was but life-changing. Can being overweight lead to sleep apnea? And why are so many Brits carrying too much weight? Any ideas?

Dipster:
An interesting topic.

Buzzer’s post was interesting and has moved me to post this that might be offend but is not meant to. Since my retirement I spend a lot of my time in a pleasant seaside town in the Algarve, in Portugal. In the summer it is host to many tourists from around the world. But British tourists often stick out like sore thumbs as they are so often obese. Including children. I was once embarrassed my a young granddaughter gasping in horror and pointing out a wee lass who was quite grotesquely overweight. My post is to ask why is this particularly British? Obviously not uniquely but my observations are quite stunning.

Buzzer mentioned that he was overweight that, possibly, led to his Diabetes diagnosis. Not as life-threatening as it was but life-changing. Can being overweight lead to sleep apnea? And why are so many Brits carrying too much weight? Any ideas?

“Treatments for sleep apnoea
Sleep apnoea can sometimes be treated by making lifestyle changes like losing weight, giving up smoking and reducing how much alcohol you drink.”
nhs.uk/conditions/sleep-apnoea/

Dipster:

There is a league table for countrys obesity levels! [en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... esity_rate](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_obesity_rate) Highest are Polynesian island states, then USA, Middle Eastern countries. Wee bit further down, NZ, Canada, and Oz before the UK. That surprised me. Youve gotta drop further down the list for other Euro countries.

i use a dream station from philips , we had philips come to salvesens donkeys years ago and do a survey of all the drivers , so although i was a transport manager i had a class1 and as i drove the things now and again i got onto it . depending on how you answered the survey you were given appropriate kit or advice , i ended up with a CPAP machine , bloody awful thing with an awful nose and mouth mask that leaked air no matter how you adjusted it. philips supplied everything free , filters, mask , pipes etc , changed the machine every year , sent you a survey to fill , then latterly the machines had an sd card you sent back then with my current one it connects to the internet and just send the info itself. so moving on from the early 2000’s a couple of years ago philips informed me that the programme had finished and that i could keep my brand new machine but they would no longer support it, i have to get my filters, new mask etc from a company called hope2sleep , pretty good outfit to deal with. i dont actually use a mask anymore just a nose cushion that goes under the nostrils to supply the air , so you can actually sleep on youre side . i have lost weight from those days but i do think i’d struggle to sleep without it , and i certainly no longer doze off as soon as i sit down

tonyj

Not a sufferer myself but I do vintage rallies with several folk who have it, a father and his son are one couple so is it hereditery? Anyhow they sleep with masks on and leave their caravan generator running all night to power it.

Pete.

windrush:
Not a sufferer myself but I do vintage rallies with several folk who have it, a father and his son are one couple so is it hereditery? Anyhow they sleep with masks on and leave their caravan generator running all night to power it.

Pete.

The NHS site says it tends to run in families, but like a lot of things, there are no simple rules about it.
Are the rallyists (?) you know truck drivers themselves? Is so maybe they would like to help in the research?
It seems like loads of people including drivers have it, including drivers of course but not all of them know they have it. Some simple treatment and life could be better for many of them it seems.

Dipster:
An interesting topic.

Dipster when I was a nipper at school I was always on the chubby side and consequently had the micky took out of me especially during sport lessons and to boot the sport master always tried to make an example of me, during my teen years I was quite fit as one did a lot of manual work so that burned the fat off. Being raised on a farm the food eaten was always wholesome with lots of fresh veg most home produced, later when becoming a truck driver the weight started to come back on but sitting on your bum 10 hours a day eating crap food snacks and little or no exercise does not help the cause, then there was the smoking John Player Navy cuts but gave them up when they went up to 31p for 20, after this I started to roll my own. I would spend an hour on the ferry rolling up enough ■■■■ to last me to Milan & while waiting for custom clearance would roll up another batch so the health side of things went on the slide, anyways I had the stomach bypass surgery in 2008 and stopped smoking immediately and have never been tempted to start smoking again.
The problem with obesity today is there are a whole host of take away outlets and people say they are far too busy to cook decent wholesome grub, either that or they simply don’t know how to cook plus the fact many kids today expect McDonald’s and the like and the parents give in for a peaceful life. When the Mrs goes shopping in Tesco a lot of the trollies are over loaded with cardboard boxes full of Ping meals as I call them put in a microwave but you cant call that cooking.
When you review things the super markets have destroyed most of the traditional fruit & veg and butchers shops we saw in my youth pricing them out of the market, also they pressurize suppliers to such a degree it becomes unprofitable to carry on and once there gone they rarely start up again. In my opinion the British public have had food far too cheap for far too long and now it has got more expensive they start to moan but in the same breath they willingly buy expensive ready meals and don’t bat an eyelid.
As this all progresses it is putting great burden on the national health service who have to deal with the overweight problems now being seen in numbers in this country fast catching up the USA who have long had this problem, well that’s my take on the subject so will be interesting to see what you all think, Buzzer

Buzzer, I guess it varies around the country and access to local produce.

We are lucky in Penzance as we have an excellent Greengrocer come deli.
It’s a common sight to see a farmer turn up in an old Land Rover (if the 4x4 Jag/Porsche/Merc is off the road) and unload Cauliflowers, Potatoes, Greens, Carrots etc. straight from the farm. And a fresh Cauli is so much better than one that has been shipped halfway round the UK or EE.

Also, the butcher sells locally bred meat, we catch our own fish and the beekeepers keep us stocked with honey, bread has changed a bit as the older bakers have switched to just Pastys and Sandwiches whilst a new breed of Artisan bakers have set up shop serving excellent bread but at up to £4.50 a loaf!!

I guess the more urban people are, the less access they have to farm/sea fresh food.

EDIT: Not too long to wait until we get the Cornish Earlies in, Some Potatoes they are !!

Franglais:

windrush:

Pete.

The NHS site says it tends to run in families, but like a lot of things, there are no simple rules about it.
Are the rallyists (?) you know truck drivers themselves? Is so maybe they would like to help in the research?
It seems like loads of people including drivers have it, including drivers of course but not all of them know they have it. Some simple treatment and life could be better for many of them it seems.

No none of them are or were truck drivers, one worked at a college and the others had office jobs. All are long retired now.

Pete.

Buzzer:

Dipster:
An interesting topic.

Dipster when I was a nipper at school I was always on the chubby side and consequently had the micky took out of me especially during sport lessons and to boot the sport master always tried to make an example of me, during my teen years I was quite fit as one did a lot of manual work so that burned the fat off. Being raised on a farm the food eaten was always wholesome with lots of fresh veg most home produced, later when becoming a truck driver the weight started to come back on but sitting on your bum 10 hours a day eating crap food snacks and little or no exercise does not help the cause, then there was the smoking John Player Navy cuts but gave them up when they went up to 31p for 20, after this I started to roll my own. I would spend an hour on the ferry rolling up enough ■■■■ to last me to Milan & while waiting for custom clearance would roll up another batch so the health side of things went on the slide, anyways I had the stomach bypass surgery in 2008 and stopped smoking immediately and have never been tempted to start smoking again.
The problem with obesity today is there are a whole host of take away outlets and people say they are far too busy to cook decent wholesome grub, either that or they simply don’t know how to cook plus the fact many kids today expect McDonald’s and the like and the parents give in for a peaceful life. When the Mrs goes shopping in Tesco a lot of the trollies are over loaded with cardboard boxes full of Ping meals as I call them put in a microwave but you cant call that cooking.
When you review things the super markets have destroyed most of the traditional fruit & veg and butchers shops we saw in my youth pricing them out of the market, also they pressurize suppliers to such a degree it becomes unprofitable to carry on and once there gone they rarely start up again. In my opinion the British public have had food far too cheap for far too long and now it has got more expensive they start to moan but in the same breath they willingly buy expensive ready meals and don’t bat an eyelid.
As this all progresses it is putting great burden on the national health service who have to deal with the overweight problems now being seen in numbers in this country fast catching up the USA who have long had this problem, well that’s my take on the subject so will be interesting to see what you all think, Buzzer

Thanks for your reply Buzzer.

Perhaps it is time for schools to start educating life skills to children such as you are what you eat and your life outcome depends on you. I taught my kids that eating is a bit like fuelling up my Defender (my kids, when little, and my grandkids now love the thing!). I cannot keep adding fuel unless I use what I have in the tank. If I did the floor would be awash. I told them they were the same. They cannot eat more than they use. No floors awash but fat tummys and ill health down the line. So eat what you want to in moderation and keep active to use it all up before the next refuel! So far so good…

windrush:

Franglais:

windrush:

Pete.

No none of them are or were truck drivers, one worked at a college and the others had office jobs. All are long retired now.

Pete.

Cheers for that.

whisperingsmith:
Buzzer, I guess it varies around the country and access to local produce.

We are lucky in Penzance as we have an excellent Greengrocer come deli.
It’s a common sight to see a farmer turn up in an old Land Rover (if the 4x4 Jag/Porsche/Merc is off the road) and unload Cauliflowers, Potatoes, Greens, Carrots etc. straight from the farm. And a fresh Cauli is so much better than one that has been shipped halfway round the UK or EE.

Also, the butcher sells locally bred meat, we catch our own fish and the beekeepers keep us stocked with honey, bread has changed a bit as the older bakers have switched to just Pastys and Sandwiches whilst a new breed of Artisan bakers have set up shop serving excellent bread but at up to £4.50 a loaf!!

I guess the more urban people are, the less access they have to farm/sea fresh food.

EDIT: Not too long to wait until we get the Cornish Earlies in, Some Potatoes they are !!

Already had Jersey new spuds this week but not the same as they used to be, cant wait for the Cornish to start as they are street’s ahead :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Buzzer