British trucks in Australia

“Australian transport fascinates me with such diversity.I’ve watched the Outback Truckers series and there’s such diversity and inginuity amongst the drivers. Some in their super shiney new motors and the ones who keep the old stuff going ie Steve Graham. I’ve seen an AEC Mammoth Major still in use in Cober Perdy ? used occasionally and an old mickey mouse Foden both on Outback Opal hunters. There must be a treasure trove of old english lorries over there and they keep them running.” Ramone

Rather than hijacking the AEC/Leyland thread, I’ll start a new one, Ramone.

The old Pommy stuff you’ve mentioned will all be around Coober Pedy (SA), it’s the largest opal area in the country. Rather than a multinational mining conglomerate, mining is carried out by single operators and small groups, barely scratching out a living. The trucks would be lucky to cover ten kilometres a year, they simply are A means of moving the equipment on the back.

Outback Truckers:
Bare in mind the show is made for entertainment. Every minor inconvenience is blown out to a dramatic catastrophe.
Steve Graham’s truck is probably five to ten years old. It takes a keen and astute Kenworth observer to accurately date one, the external shape has hardly changed in over twenty years. For every trip he does, as portrayed on the programme, he probably does half a dozen to Port Hedland, never leaving the bitumen.
Turbo is universally despised by drivers as he is a conventional artist and thief, in no way representative of most on the road.

As you say SDU, “Turbo” is a complete clown, apparently being a 'TV star" hasn’t done him many favours - as no load agent worth their salt will give him any work. I wonder why.
I don’t regularly watch Tv at all, let alone Outback Truckers - is 'Yogi" Kendall still on the show? - he has done very well, and has an excellent reputation. I spoke to him recently enquiring if he could bring half a load form Perth to Adelaide for us- which he could have if we were prepared to wait a while… he’s a true professional & a nice guy too.

Cheers all

Keith

Maybe you can tell me what make of truck this is S.D.U. I have a feeling that it might have been an International Harvester.

B.T.W. Jeff Elliot who I saw on one episode of Outback Truckers taking a load of fish from somewhere in Tassie, used to post a lot of very interesting stuff on here quite often. Unfortunately, Jeff hasn’t posted on Trucknet since May 2020, so I hope that he is O.K.

here,s a photo I took in outback NSW at an old Sapphire diggings around 1983 they had been abandoned for some years there was also an old Bedford
which I estimated to be 1930,s …and also a photo of a Thornycroft Trusty seen several years ago on the blue mountains !! there are old pommie stuff scattered all over turning up in the weirdest places

P1130558.JPG

Star down under.:
“Australian transport fascinates me with such diversity.I’ve watched the Outback Truckers series and there’s such diversity and inginuity amongst the drivers. Some in their super shiney new motors and the ones who keep the old stuff going ie Steve Graham. I’ve seen an AEC Mammoth Major still in use in Cober Perdy ? used occasionally and an old mickey mouse Foden both on Outback Opal hunters. There must be a treasure trove of old english lorries over there and they keep them running.” Ramone

The old Pommy stuff you’ve mentioned will all be around Coober Pedy (SA), it’s the largest opal area in the country. Rather than a multinational mining conglomerate, mining is carried out by single operators and small groups, barely scratching out a living. The trucks would be lucky to cover ten kilometres a year, they simply are A means of moving the equipment on the back.

Outback Truckers:
Bare in mind the show is made for entertainment. Every minor inconvenience is blown out to a dramatic catastrophe.
Steve Graham’s truck is probably five to ten years old. It takes a keen and astute Kenworth observer to accurately date one, the external shape has hardly changed in over twenty years. For every trip he does, as portrayed on the programme, he probably does half a dozen to Port Hedland, never leaving the bitumen.
Turbo is universally despised by drivers as he is a conventional artist and thief, in no way representative of most on the road.

I was once reading an Aussie thread about the British lorries they once operated and the popular opinion was AEC were public enemy number 1 and they weren’t too impressed with any of the others apart from Commers they were quite popular. I cant remember the name of the site i’ve searched a few times. Having said that , lorries designed to run at 32 tons on short trips compared with over there were never going to be the best.

mushroomman:
Maybe you can tell me what make of truck this is S.D.U. I have a feeling that it might have been an International Harvester.

B.T.W. Jeff Elliot who I saw on one episode of Outback Truckers taking a load of fish from somewhere in Tassie, used to post a lot of very interesting stuff on here quite often. Unfortunately, Jeff hasn’t posted on Trucknet since May 2020, so I hope that he is O.K.

I’ve slept at about the same spot, from where the photo was taken.
Looks like a K (or KB) International, the long bonnet would indicate a large (12 or 15■■) Continental engined offering.

ramone:

Star down under.:

Outback Truckers:

I was once reading an Aussie thread about the British lorries they once operated and the popular opinion was AEC were public enemy number 1 and they weren’t too impressed with any of the others apart from Commers they were quite popular. I cant remember the name of the site i’ve searched a few times. Having said that , lorries designed to run at 32 tons on short trips compared with over there were never going to be the best.

Ray Gilliand(?), truck driver turned author, drove an AEC.
“The Nullarbor Kid” is easy to read and subjectively, highly entertaining. I think you’d enjoy it Ramone. It’s about the author’s post war days driving from the eastern seaboard to Perth, before the road was bitumen. I particularly liked the anecdote about him taking a high value load of silver from Perth to Melbourne, totally alone.
There is nothing daedalian or floral between the covers, his truck driving roots are obvious. It’s like yarning over a cup of tea.
The book is inexpensive and available digitally or paperback

google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJ … e&ie=UTF-8

kmills:
As you say SDU, “Turbo” is a complete clown, apparently being a 'TV star" hasn’t done him many favours - as no load agent worth their salt will give him any work. I wonder why.
I don’t regularly watch Tv at all, let alone Outback Truckers - is 'Yogi" Kendall still on the show? - he has done very well, and has an excellent reputation. I spoke to him recently enquiring if he could bring half a load form Perth to Adelaide for us- which he could have if we were prepared to wait a while… he’s a true professional & a nice guy too.

Cheers all

Keith

Turbo ended up in jail for theft. His latest (to the best of my knowledge) effort is to be a male model/movie star; God forbid! I knew the bloke who owned the white Freightliner, Turbo stole, drove and ran into the ground in the first few episodes.
I’ve not met any of the other blokes.

Star down under.:

mushroomman:

I’ve slept at about the same spot, from where the photo was taken.
Looks like a K (or KB) International, the long bonnet would indicate a large (12 or 15■■) Continental engined offering.

It looks like that old motor has had a new coat of paint over the last twenty years. :wink:

earth.google.com/web/search/Coo … VyVUhsQRAC

Not My Photo.

I am a member of a Morris Commercial Facebook group and it surprises me just how many from the forties and fifties survive in reasonable condition in both Australia and New Zealand. Plenty are being restored as well.

Pete.

windrush:
I am a member of a Morris Commercial Facebook group and it surprises me just how many from the forties and fifties survive in reasonable condition in both Australia and New Zealand. Plenty are being restored as well.

Pete.

I guess the climate is more conducive to survival of tin worm?
25/30 years ago quite a few Jags made their way back to UK because the shells were more sound than UK barn finds.

essexpete:

windrush:

Pete.

I guess the climate is more conducive to survival of tin worm?
25/30 years ago quite a few Jags made their way back to UK because the shells were more sound than UK barn finds.

Climate (and local import regulations keeping car prices high) are the key. Southern Europe still has a good few older cars that would not have survived in the UK. I see many older Rovers in the Algarve that are still in good order and still used. Good order that is other than the paint. All older cars, particularly metallics, suffer horribly in the sun.

Star down under.:

ramone:

Star down under.:

Outback Truckers:

“The Nullarbor Kid” is easy to read and subjectively, highly entertaining. I think you’d enjoy it Ramone. It’s about the author’s post war days driving from the eastern seaboard to Perth, before the road was bitumen. I particularly liked the anecdote about him taking a high value load of silver from Perth to Melbourne, totally alone.
There is nothing daedalian or floral between the covers, his truck driving roots are obvious. It’s like yarning over a cup of tea.

I’ve just bought it thanks for the link

At a vintage event a few years ago I got chatting to a lad who had recently moved back to the UK from New Zealand, he told me that he had restored a Ford ■■■■■■ Mexico in the UK before he decided to go to NZ to live but when the car arrived over there the authorities insisted that it had to be scrapped because of its age. Also some antique furniture he took with him had to be destroyed, he was not a happy bunny! :confused:

Pete.

I know they’re not lorries but these are my older brothers cars he lives on the Gold Coast

Star down under.:

ramone:

Star down under.:

Outback Truckers:

I’m halfway throught it SDU, like you said easy reading and entertaining too

Whatever happened to jelliot (Jeff Elliot)? He was on here for a while.

An elderly Albion (Leyland) Clydesdale I snapped a few years ago in my neck of the woods:

30139469398_68ab2af582_k.jpg

Credit to John Ward for the photos the first one at Darwin and the second one Morrison’s yard Wigram Rd Forest Lodge Sydney.
Oily

Following on from Oily’s post, some disused Fodens I took a snap of: