Who else has a preserved HGV on here?

I posted this topic before on another page of this board and it got shunted into photos for some reason best known to the mods and died a death.

So; does anyone else on here own or drive a preserved HGV? Bought mine earlier this year, ex Tate & Lyle Foden S21 originally built in 1963. Decided I was old enough for a camper van so managed to tick summat off me bucket list and do that at the same time.

Would appreciate if those who normally ram these pages with assorted internet pics and no comments would desist on this one please, unless they’ve got summat positive to contribute. Would be good to have a page where those of us who actually run these vehicles could chat.

There are a few, Punchy Dan and 1970 Commer I know personally and there are others who do post reguarly on here.

Pete.

windrush:
There are a few, Punchy Dan and 1970 Commer I know personally and there are others who do post reguarly on here.

Pete.

Is that Dans every day worker Foden :laughing: :laughing:

P1070899.JPG

This was my 401 which took me 5 years to restore sadly I no longer have it as due to ill health I had to let her go

This man below bought this F12 brand new in 1979 and has driven it all its life and is still doing so today, Ian Lawson is in his 80’s and I remember he ran an F88 before this.
During its life it did have a cab replacement due to a crane jib falling on it so has the slightly raised cab instead of the flat roof one it came with.
To say it is a preserved working truck maybe not strictly true but to have owned and run one truck for 43 years well there are not many of us on here would contradict that this in itself is an achievement by any standards, last time seeing Ian I asked if he had paid off the finance which brought a smile to his face, he said he has had offers to buy it from him when he is done driving which exceeds what he paid for it new so altogether it seems like a good purchase decision in the first place, Buzzer

316002639_1303410600425149_8768829912055624545_n.jpg

gazsa401:
This was my 401 which took me 5 years to restore sadly I no longer have it as due to ill health I had to let her go

Sorry to hear that. I’m a Nottingham lad originally and remember Stirlands well. My dad used to say that when Jack Stirland ran it, he used to bawl out any driver rash enough to leave the yard with a dirty unit.

The same thing still applied after Jack Stirland retired Peter Hulme is successor carried on the tradition
Thanks Gary

Not mine, but belongs to my mate Col Hobson. It was never a BR lorry, he just liked the livery, even though it’s too recent to have carried the older colours.

Good idea for a new thread.

Sidevalve:
I posted this topic before on another page of this board and it got shunted into photos for some reason best known to the mods and died a death.

So; does anyone else on here own or drive a preserved HGV? Bought mine earlier this year, ex Tate & Lyle Foden S21 originally built in 1963. Decided I was old enough for a camper van so managed to tick summat off me bucket list and do that at the same time.

Would appreciate if those who normally ram these pages with assorted internet pics and no comments would desist on this one please, unless they’ve got summat positive to contribute. Would be good to have a page where those of us who actually run these vehicles could chat.

I absolutely agree with your plea for a thread in which preservers of old wagons can chew the fat. And I too find it odd that your original thread should be consigned to photos.

However, I fundamentally disagree with your closing comment. These threads are not ‘rammed’ with pics that don’t have summat postive to contribute. Every picture tell its own story, and it is not always necessary to add waffle just for the sake of it. I put photos on without comment; but comment if I see fit. Not everyone is on FB and the like and some borrowed pics make a valuable contribute to the context of a given thread as a whole. Nonetheless, I will endeavour to refrain (not desist, as I haven’t posted yet :wink: !) from adding floating pics on here to try and respect your wishes.

Les

B4CA0077-B63B-4C42-B908-851CA1348AC0.jpeg
9095BE09-BFBB-4EBD-B629-653D230A899E.jpeg
94E0EAB1-A74B-45D2-B4C2-D9616152C0E2.jpeg
62830D8C-4961-4026-A90F-1BDCE69CCA72.jpeg
5E8059FF-136A-431D-84A6-1A0C818EF469.jpeg

I’ve owned this genuine s106 for over 9 yrs it was £6500 in 2013 which at the time I thought I’d paid enough for it but still in use today .
Requiring cosmetic restoration ,brakes air bags and tyres plus a few other bits and bobs I fitted the crane and hook gear and made a flat body .
The lorry was previously owned by another member on here who had it new ,to me it’s a good spec ■■■■■■■■ Eaton ,Rockwell ,jake brake ,Hendrickson rear end and s75 8 tonne front axle .

Fair points Les. My initial request was spurred by seeing page after page of photos on other threads which, whilst nice to look at, end up filling the threads up with god knows how many superfluous pages because many on here don’t know how to edit posts when they quote them, or peehaps cant be bothered; and in fairness it isn’t that easy.

You therefore end up with several pages with the same pics which grow and grow like Topsy, and you get bored and go elsewhere.

Sidevalve:
Fair points Les. My initial request was spurred by seeing page after page of photos on other threads which, whilst nice to look at, end up filling the threads up with god knows how many superfluous pages because many on here don’t know how to edit posts when they quote them, or peehaps cant be bothered; and in fairness it isn’t that easy.

You therefore end up with several pages with the same pics which grow and grow like Topsy, and you get bored and go elsewhere.

Sidevalve, I think that problem was partly solved a while back when TN posts were tweeked to stop repeating the same old pics again and again. Now they just quote the caption. But mysteriously one or two pics seem to get repeated.

Question for Dan … who was responsible for choosing the colour scheme for the pink motor Dan ? … and what was he smoking at the time ?
And if you could p.m. me with a pre-determined pick-up point , I’ll gladly have an ounce or two of the stuff for a reasonable price ; always assuming it’s still available of course .

Punchy Dan:
I’ve owned this genuine s106 for over 9 yrs it was £6500 in 2013 which at the time I thought I’d paid enough for it but still in use today .
Requiring cosmetic restoration ,brakes air bags and tyres plus a few other bits and bobs I fitted the crane and hook gear and made a flat body .
The lorry was previously owned by another member on here who had it new ,to me it’s a good spec ■■■■■■■■ Eaton ,Rockwell ,jake brake ,Hendrickson rear end and s75 8 tonne front axle .

Still looks good today Dan , just don’t take it into Bradford it will cost you £50 in our Clean Air Zone ffs

Still looks good today Dan , just don’t take it into Bradford it will cost you £50 in our Clean Air Zone ffs
[/quote]
Thank you Ramone ,the air it puts out is cleaner than the air in Bradford ,I wouldn’t want the Bradford air in my filter :laughing:

Eddie Heaton:
Question for Dan … who was responsible for choosing the colour scheme for the pink motor Dan ? … and what was he smoking at the time ?
And if you could p.m. me with a pre-determined pick-up point , I’ll gladly have an ounce or two of the stuff for a reasonable price ; always assuming it’s still available of course .

That’s the decision of the business owners ,nowt to do with me .

Punchy Dan:

Dan,
How about the Denis and E series?