Ron Oatley - Shepton Mallet

Anyone have photos of Ron Oatley and Son at Shepton Mallet?

Worked there for about 6 to 8 weeks in 85, before being made redundant. I did reach out to the family for any photos after Ron passed away, but never heard back. Ron was a nice guy, and a magistrate.

Used to drive a 8 leg Mammoth Major, when it was working. Trips to London and return with a load from a sand pit somewhere below the M25, as well as the usual tarmac and aggregate to more local locations.

They had Mammoth Majors, some ERF, and apparently this MAN. But don’t recall seeing that in the yard.
Three drivers and a mechanic got laid off when Ron’s son got divorced, and the wife wanted her half of his share of the business.

Ron-Oatley.jpg

Many thanks to DeanB for uploading this at

Can remember using a gas torch to slice up a knackered Morris Marina van, whilst the Mammoth Major’s engine was being rebuilt. It seized on the A303 near Andover, despite previous works to try and sort out the water problem.

If you have any photos, especially of the Mammoth Majors then please share them.
if I worked with you then say hi.

I went from these sheds with no power steering and noisy to a DAF 2100 at LCM, what a difference.

Mark