LCM Transport (Wareham) Ltd

Thanks for the add.

Went for a trip down memory lane yesterday, and searched for one of my former employers, LCM Transport of Wareham. Sadly lost most of my old transport photos when I got divorced.
I found this thread with a photo of one of LCM’s 2300 DAFs, and not much more than that. So thought I’d fill in some details for history. PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1) - OLD TIME LORRIES, COMPANIES AND DRIVERS (INTERACT - Trucknet UK

LCM was formed by three drivers who worked for Marley plastic products at Fleetsbridge, Poole. They felt they could offer a more efficient transport service than their transport manager was. They were Ken Lovies (or Lovell), a chap called Collins, and Paul Mulcahy. I worked there from 1985 to 87. Ken told me that Collins parted company soon after setting up, as he liked the idea of owning a company but not putting the effort in. Ken Lovies was a really nice chap.

They set up in a small office at the back of Purbeck Kitchen, on Holton Road, at Holton Heath. The yard was a rough area between the end of the kitchen factory and the premix concrete plant behind us. From the photo, Purbeck Kitchens was the building on the right, and the set back building on the left was Hy Arnold roof trusses. Their front yard was full of Truss trolleys and the two step-frame truss trailers.

Work was mostly Purbeck Kitchens, Hy Arnold roof trusses, Hy-Ten steel at Holton Heath, Rogers concrete paving slabs, Concrete floor beams etc from a manufacturer on Sandford Lane at Wareham, Concrete man hole sections etc from a manufacturer on Wareham Road at Beacon Hill, concrete stairs etc from Boylands on High Howe Lane at West Howe, Timber and trusses for Travis Perkins at Ferndown and steel beams and building frames from Snashall steel at Pulham. Also a fair bit from Hall and Woodhouse at Blandford. Fair bit of timber and steel reinforcing back from docks in Shoreham, etc for Hy Arnold and Hy-Ten.
Boylands used to have an impressive Ford Transcon.

The fleet when I arrived was a
Ford D series 7.5 ton curtain sider day cab with curtains.
DAF 2100 turbo 2 axle rigid sleeper cab with 24ft flatbed. Reg was RLJ139X Informed that it was formerly Channel Express wagon and drag. Had the ZF split 6, and went like a bat out of hell on the M3.
They bought a DAF 2300 3 axe rigid sleeper cab flatbed around 1986 or 87.

Ford D series artic of a small size - two of these for towing kitchen box trailer and truss step frame trailers
These two small fords were replaced with small DAF 1200 day cab artics. One in Purbeck Kitchens colour, other in red.
Photo is just to show the type of DAF. They were so small that you really didn’t need the step, could just step straight into the cab.

They had a DAF 2300 2 axle sleeper cab artic on an X plate

LCM-DAF-artic.jpg

This photo uploaded by DeanB suggests that they bought another 2300 2 axle sleeper cab artic on an S plate after I left.

They had two DAF 2500 2 axle sleeper cab artics, and added lifting tag axles to these. Think they were A and B plates.

Enjoyed my time at LCM, but Paul was of London stock and felt that drivers were ripping him off and just sat around all day.
I can still remember the lambasting that I got from Paul for using the Humber toll bridge to go from Hull to Grimsby to load for the return load with fertiliser.
Ken’s son Kevin worked there, but ended up going across the road to drive for a waste paper company.

Google searches suggest that they moved to Bailie Gate, at Sturminster Marshall.

If you do have any photos of LCM, especially of the DAF rigid carrying roof trusses then I’d really appreciate seeing them.
And if you used to work with me, then say hi.
Mark

Mark, Thats a shame you lost most of your old photos. It would be nice to see what local company photos you still have ?

Heres another pic of the DAF 2300.

The concrete man hole manufacturer off Wareham road was Glandel’s and further up the lane was Beacon Hill Brick company.

Glandel’s DAF.

Beacon Hill Foden.

Many thanks for the photo, DeanB,

Had a spell with Lou Basso of J Basso and Co at Weymouth when I first came out of the army. Used to run Admiralty experimental equipment from Portland to various dockyards and harbours in Scotland.

J-Basso-n-Co.JPG

Came back to trucking in 2000, and had a spell on the agency.
Had a few drives with Webbs County Food at Okeford Fitzpaine. They had Scanias,

including those horrendous 12 speeds, that were spilt 3 over 3. Sounds great, but trying to find 4th and 8th when tired wasn’t good

Couple of years with The Watercress Company at Waddock Cross.
The MAN Silent cab really was silent, as you couldn’t hear the fridge running when the window was closed. It had a 16 speed box, which was totally unnecessary when it takes 4 pallets of salad to make up 1 ton of load. Used to get pulled at Ashley Heath because of the slow pull away from that last roundabout on the A31.

They used to hire from U drive if she was in for work. U-drive had it written up as The Mucky Moose for a while with a big antlered moose on it, wish I had a photo of that. The Iveco wasn’t a bad motor

I had some Andrews Plant photos, but the SD card got wiped or damaged.

Plenty of Crookie’s of West Knighton.

This had a 10mm steel floor and barn door. Carried some hefty lumps with it. Tree stumps.

Another load of Limestone Rock armour for Mudeford Beach

Mark,Thanks for posting the pics above. Think this may be one of LCM’s ? Seen here in Poole.

DEANB:
Mark,Thanks for posting the pics above. Think this may be one of LCM’s ? Seen here in Poole.

It’s certainly the right colour, but didn’t Ings of Fordingbridge have the same colour?

Any idea of what year your photos of the S and T reg 2300s are? They only had the X reg 2300 when I was there in 85 - 87.

Mark,
great to see a picture of Wimpy, I was good friends with him back in his Portland Plant days, and went to college with his son for a while.

Dieselcowboy:
Mark,
great to see a picture of Wimpy, I was good friends with him back in his Portland Plant days, and went to college with his son for a while.

Dear Wimpy, a true gentleman and all round decent guy.

DAF,seen here on The Dorset Way,Poole.

DEANB:
DAF,seen here on The Dorset Way,Poole.

Will be passing through your part of the world in a couple of weeks Dean, can you make sure all the roads are sorted for me please :slight_smile:

i did a bit for LCM, on the trusses first in a Ford D series then general in the Bedford TM they had with the Detroit in it, day cab converted into a sleeper, as said Ken and son Kevin were ok Paul not so much, arrived back in the yard told to take gear out of TM as needed on trusses, thats ok i said if its only for a day or so i will leave my gear in the TM, no you are back on the trusses we could not get anyone to drive the trusses and someone else is going in the TM, i said i did not want to go back on the trusses full time, You have a wife and kids so you will do the truss work, Well that was the end of that job, as i was an owner driver before i used to use my own straps and i had come back in the yard with a full load of timber on, so went back emptied my gear out and took off my straps, so i had a call from ken about there being no straps on the load when the driver turned up to take the load, after explaining the ownership of the straps, ken said it was probably just a misunderstanding and i should return, i declined his offer as i said it was not ken i would see every time i went to the office it would be paul, so that ended that, i did see paul working up at Glandels concrete once, i still see Dave Cheeseman who was there,