Eberspächer

Well I’ll be damned!

I’ve just discovered that the chairman of Eberspächer (think night heaters) from 1945 to 1988, a certain Helmut Eberspächer was a Luftwaffe pilot during WWII and was personally responsible for the destruction of 7 Lancasters :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

The family is apparently worth 450m Euros!

Lonewolf Yorks:
Well I’ll be damned!

I’ve just discovered that the chairman of Eberspächer (think night heaters) from 1945 to 1988, a certain Helmut Eberspächer was a Luftwaffe pilot during WWII and was personally responsible for the destruction of 7 Lancasters :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

The family is apparently worth 450m Euros!

Also prosecuted for tax evasion and later donated large amounts of money to Angela Merkel Christian Democrats party

probably got the idea after freezing his nuts off every night at 20,000 feet

Eberspacher Espar Airtronic D2 air heater 12v Diesel with 80110003 control 801 diagnostic controller | 292199018017 | E8017

We have them in the US, known as 'Espar" heaters.

As I understood it, night-heaters were developed for small boats long before we had them in lorries. I may be wrong of course.

Somewhere on one of these threads we had a lengthy discussion about when night-heaters began to appear on European lorries and we eventually settled on them being rare in the early '70s but quite common by the '80s.

ERF-NGC-European:
As I understood it, night-heaters were developed for small boats long before we had them in lorries. I may be wrong of course.

Somewhere on one of these threads we had a lengthy discussion about when night-heaters began to appear on European lorries and we eventually settled on them being rare in the early '70s but quite common by the '80s.

Weren’t the early models prone to sending people to sleep (permanently)?

Kempston:

ERF-NGC-European:

Weren’t the early models prone to sending people to sleep (permanently)?

That was the EE TIR-park gassers :wink:

I remember retro fitting webasto night heaters into the fleet at Bulk Storage in around 1984 / 85 and they were still pretty new then.

According to their website they developed the first engine - independent heater for buses and cars in 1935

Eberspächer used to make, or perhaps still make, tubochargers. The first French turbocharged trucks (Berliet, Unic, Willème, Somua), c. 1957, were fitted with them.

Here’s an early tubocharged Willème truck (C. 1968), probably fitted with an Eberspächer.

I expect there are several successful German companies like that and even going pre war supplying the Fatherland. Adidas, Puma and Bayer spring to mind. I digress.