Truck to restore

I started in the industry way back in 1979 when F88/F89’s were king, the Ford Transcontinental was a huge cab and if a driver had a 270 horse engine he had the top of the line unit.

I remember seeing the F1023 and F1032 come out, the Daf 3300, Scania R141/142 and 143 including the 500 centurion, the good old Renault magnum Mk1, Mercedes with there auto truck with the small joy stick that selected its own gear, the arrival of the XF95, the F2000 Roadhouse MAN to name but a few. I wasnt a fan of the Iveco Turbostar and its clutch (cooked one with a heavy load…) having to wait for several hours for a wrecker to drag me away from the seen. I did love the ZF box and its ‘knock over’ operation plus the eaton twin splitter… I always wondering about the Czech drivers and there Turbo Liaz lorry and drags that never seemed to go faster than about 40 mph and smoked like a chimney.

I learnt to drive on an old ford cargo 2532 way back in 1994.

Well retirement has come and I now have time to do what I have always wanted to do. I want to restore a cab unit. That was always going to be a F1027 but they are few and far between plus parts from volvo are pretty much non existent.
Having never been in the truck shows scene I don’t know what it’s like. I’m hoping I can keep my license as I get older. But with the euro engine emission laws coming in where do I pitch buying a cab to restore.
Plenty of late 1990’s Volvo FH12’s going for small money. Not seen many Scania out there so far, haven’t seen any Mercedes, I’m not thinking of an Iveco, Renault or an Styer/MAN.

So anybody on here from the show/restoring world of trucks that can add any insight into this thoughts and direction process?

Cheers
OW.