Foden S21

Hello,
I am looking for the dimensions of a Foden S21: height, width and length.
Thank you.

A Foden S21 what? Rigid 4, 6 or 8 wheeler, Tractor Unit or just the cab, your question is rather vague!

Frankydobo:
A Foden S21 what? Rigid 4, 6 or 8 wheeler, Tractor Unit or just the cab, your question is rather vague!

Straight 8 wheel tractor, two steer axles, two drive axles.

Thank you for your help. Any other questions?

Still too vague since a flat platform will have been on a longer wheelbase than a tipper or tank.

Perhaps the OP could source some old Foden spec sheets.

There were also two cab widths depending on the weight, which if i remember were 7’10" up to 24 tons and 8’0" above.

Foden built 8 wheel tractor units for the Australian market with the S21 ‘Mickey Mouse’ cab which was extended to a sleeper. As far as I know they didn’t build these for the UK market which would be pointless with our C&U regs at the time unless a customer required one for certain operations, that was until they developed the Twinload with the later cab. The Aussie build was a standard wheelbase with only a round fuel tank between the front and rear axles, the cab rear stopped just above the centre of the second steer axle. It was operated by Gascoyne Trading Pty pulling a refrigerated trailer on the coast road between Perth and Carnarvon. If that is the tractor you have in mind then an internet search may bring it up. Foden’s standard eight wheeler had a wheelbase of 13ft, 7 and a quarter inches although this was measured from the second steer axle centre to the first rear axle centre. Total axle spread being 20ft, 2 and a quarter inches. Franky.

Frankydobo:
Foden built 8 wheel tractor units for the Australian market with the S21 ‘Mickey Mouse’ cab which was extended to a sleeper. As far as I know they didn’t build these for the UK market which would be pointless with our C&U regs at the time unless a customer required one for certain operations, that was until they developed the Twinload with the later cab. The Aussie build was a standard wheelbase with only a round fuel tank between the front and rear axles, the cab rear stopped just above the centre of the second steer axle. It was operated by Gascoyne Trading Pty pulling a refrigerated trailer on the coast road between Perth and Carnarvon. If that is the tractor you have in mind then an internet search may bring it up. Foden’s standard eight wheeler had a wheelbase of 13ft, 7 and a quarter inches although this was measured from the second steer axle centre to the first rear axle centre. Total axle spread being 20ft, 2 and a quarter inches. Franky.

Thank you to everyone for all the interesting replies, I did not realize how many variations of the S21 there were. My reason for the question is I wanting to buy this model which the person makes on a 3D printer. I asked for 1:43 scale, which is the "O"scale for trains. My other models are 1:43 scale, so I want this model to fit in. Below is a link to the model so you can see it. Probably only the height and width and needed. The modeler did not know what size to make it, so I am providing him the dimensions. Thanks again.

fodens21.png

Colingl - There was a concern about the link, allowing the file to download automatically. The link has been replaced with the actual image to address this.

Surely the guy making the model can down scale from the 1.18 scale model he’s already made by taking the measurements from it and converting to 1.43 scale, there are conversion tools on the internet. Franky.

Frankydobo:
Surely the guy making the model can down scale from the 1.18 scale model he’s already made by taking the measurements from it and converting to 1.43 scale, there are conversion tools on the internet. Franky.

I agree, he should be able to figure it easily, but I am having trouble communicating this to him, he is Lithuanian. I have tried my guess as to height and width of the real truck, in English units and metric units. Then I ask him to divide by 43. So far we are not communicating.

Thus I hoped someone would know the real truck dimensions and I would do the Math, to supply him with the sizes.

I guessed about 8 feet wide (2.44 meters) x 9 feet tall (2.74 meters). Does this sound correct?

Frankydobo:

Sorry I missed that the model is 1:18, mystery solved, I will give him the 1:43 scale numbers. I did not see the 1:18 scale on the model. Thank you so much.

If the OP is still looking for this info; I own an S21, inbox me and I’ll run a tape measure over it for whatever dimensions you need.

bdonnelly:

Frankydobo:

Thank you to everyone for all the interesting replies, I did not realize how many variations of the S21 there were. My reason for the question is I wanting to buy this model which the person makes on a 3D printer. I asked for 1:43 scale, which is the "O"scale for trains. My other models are 1:43 scale, so I want this model to fit in. Below is a link to the model so you can see it. Probably only the height and width and needed. The modeler did not know what size to make it, so I am providing him the dimensions. Thanks again.

fodens21.png

This link automatically downloads the picture onto your computer :open_mouth: . I thought we’d outlawed this on here (?). Reported.

ERF-NGC-European:

bdonnelly:

Frankydobo:

This link automatically downloads the picture onto your computer :open_mouth: . I thought we’d outlawed this on here (?). Reported.

Thank you! :sunglasses: