"Barnsley and Beyond" Model Trucking Through The Decades

Hello everyone,
I thought i’d create a thread to show my models that i’m building. They are all white metal 1/48th and 1/50th scale mostly built from discontinued kits with a lot of scratch building and lot’s of extra detailing. I’m working my way through my stash of kits in readiness for showing at a future model/truck show.

This series of models are my “Barnsley and Beyond” collection. They all depict Barnsley hauliers including some from the surrounding areas. My family grew up in Cudworth, Barnsley and in the 60s and 70s there were many trucking firms just in our local village alone. This will be the heart of these builds eventually with firms from surrounding villages/towns my family would have seen passing through. My uncle used to have many rides with local drivers as a kid all over the country. My dad remembers the first time he saw a Redfearn National Glass Scania 110 working it’s way up the village looking huge compared to the other trucks on the road. The models I make are all a memory,truck ride or a truck my family have photographed many years ago.

I will be building hauliers such as Myatts, Mason Bros, Redfearn National Glass, Tom Roberts, Fearns, Majestic Motors, D Sharp and Son, Pulverite/Durrans, J Cutts, Alan Lodge, Ernest Thorpe and many more. I’ll keep this updated as I get the models built. Hope you enjoy the models, they keep me busy. All the best, James

Modeltrux Foden S80 and 40FT Curtainsider - Jefferies of Otley
I have been to this yard a few times as a kid with my dad and I remember seeing them out on the road in their later days. This model was a pleasure to build for me as the kit is one of my dad’s original Modeltrux kits before he sold his moulds to Kingfisher Models. The kit is probably nearly as old as me. The Foden is the first truck kit my dad made, The 40ft Trailer kit was based on a Whitehead Trailer, he used to work there welding trailers, converting flat beds to curtainsiders and so on. These were based on Carlton industrial estate in Barnsley, a stones throw from J Cutts Transport and eventually moved to Bargh Green near James Durrans and later on Ken Mallinson. I built the kits mostly out of the box like my dad used to make them when he was in business with just a few minor extra details. I added a driver, curtains and other cab details, some lovely little resin and photo etch headlights, suzies and after some weathering added a country road.

My Dad used to produce this in the Jefferies livery as a full kit, sadly I was a bit too young at that time to remember the S80 models but I have fond memories of dad’s later code 3 work. Daf XF’s, Volvo FH’s and so on. These were usually all Tekno and Conrad kits with corgi trailers. I will always remember mum and dad stood at the kitchen sink wet sanding corgi Boddingtons curtainsiders. He used to make a lot of Yorkshire firms back then for the firms themselves as well as countless customers. Our dining room was a sea of Pete Osbornes, Dews, Viamasters, Jefferies etc. I used to peel the masking tape off the many Stobart striped bumpers. The trucks from this period (later 90’s and early 00’s) are where my memories are, once I have built all the classic trucks I will build some slightly newer trucks that I remember fondly as a kid, had rides in etc. Dad now mostly works in 1/43rd scale depicting Swedish Scanias and Volvos mostly and some scratch builds. He makes a lot of things in resin these days which I do a bit of for my models too. His models are beautiful and he is a natural when it comes to scratch building.

Kingfisher Models AEC MKV Mandator - Trowbridge Transport

This model was great to build although slightly more challenging thanks to the BTC four in line trailer. My uncle used to go for rides in this AEC as a kid with the driver who lived in Cudworth. I have tried my best to model the driver too including the hat he used to wear.
Trowbridge of Sheffield had a lovely fleet of these AEC’s. The four in line trailer is something that has always fascinated me and it was inevitable that i’d build one. Trowbridge were known later as Walker Trowbridge running the likes of ERF’s and Fodens etc and I think they then went to Truswell. I built a Kingfisher models kit for the MKV and added some extra detailing to the chassis and interior. The cab now features a driver, notes and some spare rope etc.
The BTC trailer was completely scratch built working from some blueprints I managed to find. I used plasticard to make the trailer with resin wheels and wooden decking which are coffee stirring sticks. For a relativity short trailer there is plenty to look at under one of these. The rope hooks are bent fuse wire and the load is strapped down mostly under it’s own tension thanks to tiny knots. Painted tissue paper acts as a sheet with homemade transfers for the stenciling. I tried my best to replicate dolly knots. Doing them in this scale isn’t easy, i’d love to be shown in 1/1 scale someday. I also added piping and wires to the trailer brakes. The thin fuse wire going through the front suspension mount i’m certain is the reason I now have glasses! I replicated the scene shown in the photo below showing the driver at a set of fuel pumps. The pumps are corgi models slightly modified, also added a fuel spill on the floor. I work in a truckstop so i’m used to seeing this. Very happy with how this one turned out. The family of the driver were very pleased to see it.

Heavygoods/Kingfisher Scammell Crusader - Sissons

Up next is my Scammell Crusader in Sissons livery. The Scammell is an old Heavygoods kit with some extra details, mostly to the interior. Bedding, curtains, early 80’s magazines and so on. The trailer is a Kingfisher release of my dad’s old Modeltrux 40ft flat bed kit. The trailer was detailed with extra crossmembers, rope hooks, mudflaps and a rope and sheeted load. The rope is made from sewing cotton and it’s tightened on to the trailer (taking car not to snap the hooks off) A simple diorama for this one depicting a parking bay in a truckstop or motorway services. My dad visited Sissons with the owner of Heavygoods when he was taking photos in preparation of starting producing the kit. Such a great looking truck the Crusaders.

Brilliant models thank for showing them.

Hi there really well done models also enjoy the story about them :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: cheers Ray

Tekno Volvo F88 - Fearns Transport

Fearns, a well known haulier based in Dodworth, Barnsley, ran this wonderful Volvo F88 as part of their fleet. What a smart looking fleet they had. They also ran quite a wide variety of trucks, Volvos, Scanias, Mercs, Roman, Man, Scammell, Atkinson, Seddon, Daf to name a few. One of the reasons for choosing this F88 is I have an old black and white picture with my uncle (on the left) and a friend stood with it. My uncle was always out on his bike with his camera and i’m glad he did as we have some great pictures to look back at now. The Fearns yard is still there today, called B&B now. You can still make out the original building very easily and Stephen Fearn parks his smashing black Scania there. I do remember calling here with dad years ago when it was an ERF dealer and coming away with some brochures.
I used a tekno kit for the model, these are great little models with lots of detail. It didn’t stop me changing a few things and adding a few details here and there. It was to my own expense unfortunately as I have discovered diecast is way harder than white metal. I really did spend the best part of a week cleaning up unwanted parts off the chassis. The interior received a lot of extra work too, curtains, bedding complete with a hand drawn daily mail on the bed. Other cab items as well, like the coke can on the dash and all the cards and stickers in the windscreen. Paul Robson who I use for my transfers did a fantastic job of replicating all these tiny details. I even tried to model a miniature Stephen Fearn in the drivers seat. The chassis received a tool box behind the cab, my own mudguards and other little improvements.
This has yet to receive a Crane Fruehauf trailer which will be carrying wire reels as shown in the Peter Davis photo below. I will then mount it to a suitable diorama setting. Very happy with this one.

Great models! Love the subtelty of your weathering technique! :sunglasses:

Rowena

Thank you guys!

ERF-NGC-European:
Great models! Love the subtelty of your weathering technique! :sunglasses:

Rowena

Thank you, weathering is my favourite part
James

Heavygoods Atkinson Borderer - Ernest Thorpe

This is my most detailed build to date and I am very happy with how this one turned out. It’s actually a long way off being “complete” as i’ll explain later.
Ernest Thorpe, definitely one of my favourite fleets, all those Atkis and Seddons as far as the eye can see. The first time I visited Thorpes was a long time ago accompanying my dad as he was looking at their restored Borderer taking measures etc for a 1/24th scale scratch build. I remember dad showing me how to climb into the cab with the step ring and mudguard step. Most of the truck was under a sheet with another Mk1 Atki shaped sheet towards the back of the garage. Remember that day quite well really as on the way home just going over the flyover at Barnsley beside the bus station we were following a double decker bus, Probably a Leyland of some sort and it’s engine cover was up displaying a Gardner engine in all it’s glory.
I have always been taken by the livery of Thorpes, my dad has built one of the original heavygoods kits over the years which would have been in the cabinet when i was a kid.

I wanted to make this model as detailed as possible, so a lot of work followed. The cab came with the rear panel soldered together so in the end I sanded the rear of the cab smooth to add finer details. I added new window rubbers, panel trim, fuse box, wiring and a new water box with tiny brackets made from 10 thou plastic. The original kit had a lot of flashing and the casting was a little rough around the gearbox which was a fuller. Thorpes ran David Brown boxes in most of their trucks as well as the trusty Gardner so I decided to scratch build both with a view of casting them for future use which i’m still working on. It was nice to build these, I have a parts book for a Gardner 180 which made life easier. A friend came up trumps with some diagrams of David Brown gearboxes for me.
The chassis received a lot of detailing in the way of wiring and plumbing, extra bolt heads etc. I made the DB gearbox mount out of 10 thou plastic and suzie gantry etc. I also added the large toolbox in place of where the spare wheel carrier normally is, they had the battery in the box too so a cut out was made with cables coming out.
The interior received some work too, drilling the back wall to achieve the paneling inside the Borderers. I added a driver, crowbar, hammer and a few other bits and bobs to make the interior a bit busier.
For the trailer, this was completely scratch built. From what I can see in the above B&W photo it appears to be a Boden trailer with some in house modifications, I found a rear view of a similar trailer with the sloping rear to the chassis. I made myself feel ill for a bit after making some tiny Boden badges from milliput for the side raves, they were painted body colour so needed to be 3D. The trailer was given a good bashing about to give it that used look often linked with being in the steel industry. The load was made from steel bicycle spokes and secured with some scratch built chain binders. I had a lot of fun weathering this one, replicating rust spots on the front bumper and the many scrapes and damage on the trailer.

Eventually this will be part of a diorama depicting part of Thorpes yard. Which part is still being decided. I have two or three more Atkinson’s planned so far for the layout and more will follow as I get around to it. I turned the wheels on this truck as it will be positioned either entering or leaving the yard.

I was only up at Thorpes the other weekend as it happens as I accidentally came across a Seddon 401 parked up there when I went wrong by heading to Thurgoland by mistake. The next day I went back up there and got plenty of photos of it. A really old trailer was piggy backing on another trailer so I looked at that and then photographed some the DAF 85’s. It was great, always a nice place to visit.

yet another cracking build well detailed looking forward to seeing more cheers ray

Kingfisher Seddon Atkinson 400 - D Sharp and Son

Another smart looking fleet from back in the day were D Sharp and Son based near Royston, Barnsley. These had a number of Atkinsons, Seddons then DAFs later on. My dad remember’s one of the drivers spinning round one of their Atkinson Borderers with a flat bed trailer at the bottom of our street quite often. The driver lived on the street and must have brought it home sometimes. On a recent visit back to Cudworth me and dad stood at the bottom of our old street and it is hard to believe it was manageable but back then there were only a couple of cars on the street.
It seems a lot of people worked for Sharps, my family know a few people and I have also met an ex Sharps driver at work (I work in a truckstop on the M6 at Tebay). He is a great guy and a joy to speak to about old times. He has fond memories of working for D Sharps. I am in touch with a few of the original drivers now and they all have great memories of their time there.

This is my current model, I finished the tractor unit a couple of weeks ago and I am shortly about to start a 40ft Crane Fruehauf trailer to finish it off. Again this is one of those trucks I have always wanted to build.I think the livery really suited the Seddon, very nice indeed. The kit is from Kingfisher models and as usual I have given it a few extra details here and there. The interior received a lot of work, adding a second bunk, bedding, overnight bag, map book from the late 70s, paperwork etc and of course some tissue paper curtains. The chassis needed a cab support as this was missing so I scratch built one along with the header tank, spot light etc. This has helped the rear of the cab come to life. I have added spare ropes hanging from the cab and some woods for use with loading the trailer. The cab was missing the very lower piece of trim on the front cab corners, these were added and the cab raised up on plastic shims until I was happy with it. The usual light weathering and greasing followed to make it look more realistic. The diesel tank stains/drips are achieved by rubbing a black streak on the tank with my weathering kit (looks like make up) then I go over after with a clear varnish.

I will be starting the trailer in the coming week or so, this will be another test of my rope and sheeting skills. I hope you enjoy the read, I will keep updating this thread as I build another model ( it’s a long list ) so plenty more to come. James

Thanks again for the kind words Ray :smiley:

Some excellent work there mate. Love the weathering. Labour of love! :sunglasses:

Rowena

You have great skills, love the Crusader, well done Sir :sunglasses:

RJ

Great models,best I’ve seen.
I think the driver of Trowbridge AEC Mandator 2444 W was Jack Turton,I knew him when on nights on market job out of Sheffield,late 60s.He had a tilt cab Mercury then,the one we had would shift but no chance of catching a Trowbridge Mercury. :smiley:

Chris Webb:
Great models,best I’ve seen.
I think the driver of Trowbridge AEC Mandator 2444 W was Jack Turton,I knew him when on nights on market job out of Sheffield,late 60s.He had a tilt cab Mercury then,the one we had would shift but no chance of catching a Trowbridge Mercury. :smiley:

Hello Chris, Yeah that’s him. My next model is a tilt Mercury in Tom Roberts livery. He drove this also I believe. I have heard those Trowbridge trucks used to move :smiley: You must have had some good times. Many thanks, James

Thank you for the kind words everyone! All the best, James