Wholesale Markets and the Hauliers delivering

I remember the last two loads I did to Covent Garden, one was to the old market and the other to the new one.

I was working for Mitchell & Robertson and it would have been spring of 74. We were going through a slack period and I was in the yard washing the lorry and trying to find something to do. I had a flat trailer so obviously my Tautliner was off the road. I’d had an altercation with a bridge in Bristol so maybe it was during that period it was being repaired. Anyway, late morning Malcolm Robertson came and found me to say they had managed to find a 20 ton load of pears but it had to be delivered to Covent Garden by midnight at the latest. As I didn’t do nights Malcolm asked if I would do it before taking on the job. I could hardly say no so Malcolm trotted off to the office to confirm we would handle it. I said I would load it myself somewhere down near Hastings even though he said he could have it loaded for me.

I made my way up to London late evening and into the Garden. It was the first time I had taken an artic there and hoped it would be the last. Luckily for me I only had the one drop down Long Acre. The shop was one of the last down the Acre on the left hand side. I was the only one there that night and there was only one store man. A few hours later the last box was finally heading off down the rollers and soon after I was heading off home to get some well earned rest.

The very last load I did to Covent Garden was to the new one at Nine Elms which opened up in November 74. It was, I think March 75 that I delivered 20 tons of oranges there. I had three drops and I remember that one of our other drivers, Peter Capon was also delivering there. Once again, and it was the last time it happened, Malcolm had asked me to deliver during the night although I cant remember the reason. Two things stand out in my mind. One. It was the first and last time I entered the new Covent Garden Market and two, after doing two drops I was making my way to my third drop and hadn’t drawn my Tautliner sheets when one of the pallets of oranges tried to unload itself. I had oranges all over the road. I was frantically gathering them all up before they were run over. I managed to get them all back in their cartons and even got a clear signature when I finally delivered them. However, I vowed that would be my last time. I never let Malcolm talk me into delivering another load there, day or night.