Seddon & Atkinson in Holland

Before the merge of both marques there was some presence in Holland of these marques.

Seddon was represented by Van Twist from Dordrecht (hence Seddon-Van Twist) and Atkinson
by van Mill from Gorinchem.

We speak of the late fourties and early fifties and herewith some pictures.

Atkinson-1949.jpg

Some pictures…Cuvelje from Hoornaar (near Gorinchem and still in transport) was a loyal Atkinson-customer

Atkinson-1953.jpg

Atkinson-1951.jpg

Atkinson-1950.jpg

Van Twist from Dordrecht (near Rotterdam) was known for import/assembly of A.E.C. and responsible for
sales and service of Perkins in Holland. After WW2 they also started with import/assembly of Seddon with
a variant with the Van Twist in the brandname.

Some pictures

Slightly later Seddons were imported by Hocke of Waalwijk and Brussels. Did they take over from Van Twist or did they work alongside them time-wise? Robert

Thanks Robert…and my survey with Van Twist goes till about mid sixties and I guess/expect that Hocké
filled that gap being a more professional stakeholder for Seddon concerning Netherlands and Belgium!
The old buildings of Hocké in Brussels (in fact a suburb Groot Bijgaarden) still exists as a karting-site!

In Waalwijk it was silent at mid eighties…but good to experience that before the SA-merge there was
some activity on impressive lorries.

ERF-Continental:
Thanks Robert…and my survey with Van Twist goes till about mid sixties and I guess/expect that Hocké
filled that gap being a more professional stakeholder for Seddon concerning Netherlands and Belgium!
The old buildings of Hocké in Brussels (in fact a suburb Groot Bijgaarden) still exists as a karting-site!

In Waalwijk it was silent at mid eighties…but good to experience that before the SA-merge there was
some activity on impressive lorries.

Yes indeed! Like this Seddon left-hand-drive 38-tonner for Continental use in about 1973.

It was displayed on the stand of the Belgian company, Hocke, who had displayed previous models of LHD Seddons in the ‘60s, just as you say. The vehicle was shown by Ets. Jean Hocke, Rue Gaucheret.30, Brussels, the distributor of Seddon and Reo vehicles in Belgium.

Robert

002.jpg

Overview of the Atkinson-export-agencies, apologies for the quality as the scanner shows troubles

Source: export-brochure 1962

ERF-Continental:
Overview of the Atkinson-export-agencies, apologies for the quality as the scanner shows troubles

Source: export-brochure 1962

An impressive list! Robert

Indeed impressive but strange that Atkinson didn’t had presence in Belgium, whereas Seddon, Foden,
Albion, Scammell etc were active there since 1951. Atkinson’s ‘first’ attempt was with the chassis using
the cab of the defunct Krupp but that success wasn’t for very long with only a handful sold on the continent.

ERF-Continental:
Indeed impressive but strange that Atkinson didn’t had presence in Belgium, whereas Seddon, Foden,
Albion, Scammell etc were active there since 1951. Atkinson’s ‘first’ attempt was with the chassis using
the cab of the defunct Krupp but that success wasn’t for very long with only a handful sold on the continent.

That was the Atkinson CLT in the late '60s. I think only about 10 were built and most went to UK operators. Vanneste of Belgium had at least one though! I started a thread on them ages ago and here’s the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=118469

Vanneste.jpg

Also, quite a lot of Atkinson LHD rigids went to Portugal where they were locally cabbed. I took this picture in Apr 1986 in Lisbon docks.

lisbon docks apr 86.jpg

Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

ERF-Continental:

That was the Atkinson CLT in the late '60s. I think only about 10 were built and most went to UK operators. Vanneste of Belgium had at least one though! I started a thread on them ages ago and here’s the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=118469

Also, quite a lot of Atkinson LHD rigids went to Portugal where they were locally cabbed. I took this picture in Apr 1986 in Lisbon docks.

Robert

Looks like gravity keeping the container on the rigid. Also the cab is similar to an early Daf.

After WW2 (in 1948) the company of Van Twist started with sales for Seddon-chassis in Holland. They then already
represented Perkins engines as well. From 1951 Van Twist got the license to build Seddon-VanTwist-chassis to enable
that chassis were fully suited for continental purposes as well to save on import-duties. Hence assembly in Holland.
Some hundreds (exact number is unknown) chassis were made. Most known types were HD 807 RL, A 98 RL and HD
818 L for gully-emptiers and garbage-trucks as Van Twist had excellent contacts within several city-governments.

Later, in the mid-sixties (then named Kemper & VanTwist) sales and assembly for Seddon was sold to Hocké who
then also started with assembly (and sales) In Brussels.

Herwith again some pictures

Again some nice pictures of now Seddon, so not the VanTwist-version

Seddon.jpg

Seddon-AKU.jpg

I have been informed meanwhile that 386 chassis under the brand of “Seddon-VanTwist” were made/assembled till 1965!

Seddon-Garbage-trucks-Netam-1949.jpg

Atkinson-1958.jpg

ERF-Continental:
I have been informed meanwhile that 386 chassis under the brand of “Seddon-VanTwist” were made/assembled till 1965!

A very nice piece of unusual research - well done! :sunglasses:

Thank you Robert!

In 1962, then van Twist was already merged with Kemper (a wellknown name for yachts and ships), Seddon
became in hands of Ets. Jean Hocké from Brussels.

I am surprised that the internet has captured a lot of info and pictures on Dutch Seddon and Seddon-Van Twist.

Again some pictures.

Seddon-AKU-2.jpg

A strong focus on the municipal-market with several bodies fitted

Seddon-VanTwist-10.jpg

Seddon-VanTwist-1.jpg

But also the other pieces of the transport-cake were activily served!

Seddon-VanTwist-13.jpg

Seddon-VanTwist-12.jpg

Seddon-VanTwist-8.jpg

Seddon-VanTwist-7.jpg

Seddon-VanTwist-6.jpg

Seddon-VanTwist-5.jpg

Some expertise required as I don’t know if the chassis from the picture is a genuine Atkinson.

Douwe Egberts from Holland (Later Sara Lee) is known for coffee and tobacco and could have
an Atkinson (perhaps a subby but that was rare then) in their fleet.

Can somebody confirm it is an Atkinson?

Douwe-Egberts.png

ERF-Continental:
Some pictures…Cuvelje from Hoornaar (near Gorinchem and still in transport) was a loyal Atkinson-customer

Marvellous Atki photos, Robert! Not seen these before