Wigan Transport Companies

Regarding Boon transport, my earliest recollection of this outfit dates back to around 1970, or thereabouts, when they were based at the old Crompton’s rolling mills site at Edge Green near Golborne.

At that time, the site had been acquired by Bill Ratcliffe with a view to turning the place into an industrial estate, which did subsequently occur.

Boon transport at this time however , operated under the name of B&B haulage, or B&B transport. I forget which.

They rented a small portion of the site, before acquiring a place of their own in Platt Bridge .

The B&B stood for Boon and Burrows , and from memory the few motors that they ran were painted up in a green livery.

I had very little contact with them over the years, but Mr. Burrows presumably died , followed a number of years later by his partner , Ken Boon.

I personally have no recollection of a Mark Boon, but for a short period of time, just prior to my retirement, I did a spell driving for Ken Boon’s son Steve, ( known by many as Danny ), as that was actually his middle name. He operated a small fleet of DAFs at that time. Working 3 or 4 curtainsiders and one 40´ fridge van if memory serves.

When I wasn’t occupied delivering 4 or 5 drops round the East Midlands, of half a dozen in the potteries area,……or both, I was doing two trips per day delivering pizza bases from Skem to Papa Johns just off the A449 is it ? near Gailey corner……Just past Penkridge anyway.

Occasionally, I’d do one or the other , or both , then run back m/t to Skem, back under the fridge, load it, then do the run down to Wolverhampton.

At the age of 64, I was putting more hours into the day than I had done when I was 21.

I’m not having a go at Boons in particular, I’m having a go at the haulage game in general. I think the term nowadays is ‘pants’……From the driver’s point of view anyway, the haulage game nowadays is ‘pants’.

Ever wondered why all these outfits are advertising for drivers ?

That’s my view anyway, but thankfully I’m well out of it now….thank ■■■■.