Jarvis Robinson Transport, Liverpool

FTO 465.png
ADM 354.jpg

Some of these pictures will have been seen before on “Old Time Lorries” on Trucknet.
I have decided to start a specific thread for Jarvis Robinson,and see if it creates any interest.

Picture 1. Leyland Beaver BKA 762 and trailer with Guinness Tanks.

Picture 2. Leyland Beaver FTO 465.

Picture 3. Leyland Beaver ADM 354.

Picture 4. Leyland Beaver BKA 762, and Leyland Beaver AKB 982 pulling loaded trailer on the front shunt bar.

Picture 5. JRT Horse drawn trailer with insulated container. I don’t recall the John Taylor & Sons Transport Sentinel.
Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
01234Some of these pictures will have been seen before on “Old Time Lorries” on Trucknet.
I have decided to start a specific thread for Jarvis Robinson,and see if it creates any interest.

Picture 1. Leyland Beaver BKA 762 and trailer with Guinness Tanks.

Picture 2. Leyland Beaver FTO 465.

Picture 3. Leyland Beaver ADM 354.

Picture 4. Leyland Beaver BKA 762, and Leyland Beaver AKB 982 pulling loaded trailer on the front shunt bar.

Picture 5. JRT Horse drawn trailer with insulated container. I don’t recall the John Taylor & Sons Transport Sentinel.
Ray Smyth.

What a delightful photo number 5 is. When I first started riding in lorries with Ray or Fred Holden as a 5 or 6 year old in 1953 / 1954 Liverpool Docks was a frequent destination and I can remember seeing both horses and steam waggons working in Liverpool in those years. I now need to go and lie down in a darkened room, I’m feeling old. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

A couple of Jarvis Robinson trucks.

jarvis robinson1.PNG.jpg

jarvis robinson.PNG.jpg

DEANB:
A couple of Jarvis Robinson trucks.

Thank you to Dean for posting the above 2 pictures of Jarvis Robinson Lorries.
If the Foden Tractor is JKF 215, Then it is the first lorry I was on when I started
with JRT in Summer 1965. The Leyland Beaver was one of many in the fleet,
and usually had a drawbar trailer hooked on the back. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Jarvis Robinson Transport operated this 1968 registered Leyland Beaver 4x2 tractor unit Reg No SKB 932G.

moomooland:
0 Jarvis Robinson Transport operated this 1968 registered Leyland Beaver 4x2 tractor unit Reg No SKB 932G.

Thank you to Paul for posting this excellent picture of a long gone transport company, Regards, Ray Smyth.

I have “Borrowed” this picture off the “Scrapbook Memories” thread.
Thank you to Marcus Bubbleman. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Jarvis 2.jpg

Bootle May Day Carnival Float “Harvest Time” about 1950. Horse and cart courtesy of Jarvis Robinson Transport, Bootle.
Click the picture for the original script. Ray Smyth.

JRT Carnival.jpg

Jarvis Robinson Transport horses and carts were a common sight in Liverpool,
up and until the early 1960s, if my memory serves me well. Ray Smyth.

Jarvis Robinson.jpg

Indeed, Ray. I remember horses and steamers running around the docks when I first went to Merseyside in the late '50s/early’60s.

Jarvis Robinson Leyland Beaver ballast tractor DLV 4 and trailer parked at The Clarence pub
in Townsend Lane, Liverpool, which is quite close to Queens Drive. The sheeting and roping
will soon be complete, and knowing Jarvis`s men, they would be nipping in to The Clarence
for a swift half of Walkers bitter.

10626568_763693313673729_7333169049213725170_n (2).jpg

This Bedford of Jarvis Robinson Transport is on hire to Grayson, Rollo, & Clover Docks Ltd.
Graysons were ships repairers, and this lorry carried various types of marine components,
welding gear, both arc and gas, and also Graysons fitters and staff, sometimes as many as
5 men, some riding from dock to dock on the back of the Bedford. The lorry was driven by
a Jarvis Robinson driver, and is seen here on the Dock Road, Liverpool.

Ray Smyth.

I can only presume that the idea behind the ballast tractors and draw bar trailers was this was a forerunner to articulation , I noticed in the past similar combinations being used in London docks at one time , yet surprisingly in my part of the county ( Scotland ) I never recall seeing them used at any of the major ports ?.

shugg:
I can only presume that the idea behind the ballast tractors and draw bar trailers was this was a forerunner to articulation , I noticed in the past similar combinations being used in London docks at one time , yet surprisingly in my part of the county ( Scotland ) I never recall seeing them used at any of the major ports ?.

Hi Shugg, Yes, I agree with your comments above, and probably the ballast tractor and trailer
developed from the horse and cart days, and also traction engines as a source of power. Regards, Ray.

I have just found this picture on “Scrapbook Memories” thread courtesy of Marcus Bubbleman.
I have learned that Jarvis Robinson Transport and Cranmer Cartage were part owned by P + O
and merged to become “Jarvis Cranmer”. Are any Trucknet members aware of any pictures of
Cranmer Cartage of Bootle, I vaguely remember they had some medium weight TK Bedford
artics, and were seen frequently on the Dock Road in Liverpool. Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
I have just found this picture on “Scrapbook Memories” thread courtesy of Marcus Bubbleman.
I have learned that Jarvis Robinson Transport and Cranmer Cartage were part owned by P + O
and merged to become “Jarvis Cranmer”. Are any Trucknet members aware of any pictures of
Cranmer Cartage of Bootle, I vaguely remember they had some medium weight TK Bedford
artics, and were seen frequently on the Dock Road in Liverpool. Ray Smyth.

Ray, I’m not sure what year that photo was taken, but I was definitely picked up from juniors in the late 70/early 80s in a few red and white ERFs that looked like that LAC above. Sat on the engine cover all the way home with no seat belt and only me dad’s gentle braking between me and the windscreen.

Jarvis Robinson inslated containers , one on a horse drawn cart,
and one on a trailer coupled to a Morris Commercial ballast tractor.

JRT.jpg

Jarvis Robinson ballast tractor parked at the Guinness Exports factory in Liverpool.
This lorry is from about 1949, and I am not certain whether it is an ERF or a Foden.
I am leaning more toward it being a Foden. Picture quality not very good.
Ray Smyth.

Jarvis 1.png

Ray Smyth:
Jarvis Robinson inslated containers , one on a horse drawn cart,
and one on a trailer coupled to a Morris Commercial ballast tractor.

The “Shaft 'Oss” looks to be doing all the work, the “Trace 'Oss” is just slacking ! Cheers Bewick.

Hi Dennis, Thank you for your post in “Westmorland” parlance. Many years ago, when horse & cart
lorries were a regular sight in Liverpool, most were with just one horse, because the Dock Road from
Seaforth Dock to Herculaneum Dock, about 7 miles, was a level road. However, If a cart was loaded
for Everton or Walton area, the Carter would drive his Horse & Cart as far as Sandhills Lane, and meet
up with a man and a “Team Horse”, which was attached ahead of the Cart Horse, so that it could manage
the fairly steep incline of Lambeth Road. If it was raining whilst waiting for a horse & cart to arrive,
the Carters and their Team Horses would take shelter under the railway bridge at Sandhills Station, on the
Liverpool to Southport line. The Team Horse men and horses worked for Jarvis Robinson, Thomas Wilson,
and several other transport firms, and would work with each other, sometimes putting 2 Team Horses on
to a particularly heavy load. Kind Regards, Ray.