Jarvis Robinson Transport, Liverpool

J.F.G:
Although not directly connected to Jarvis Robinson Transport, Both Ray Smyth and 240 Gardner both mention Coast Lines Ltd in this post, I was an apprentice diesel mechanic in 1970 with Ulster Ferry Link Line, who had merged with Ulster Ferry, the name was shortened to Ulster Link, the workshops were in Cotton street just off the the Dock Road in Liverpool.

We then moved to a new workshop in Errington street close to Sandhills lane, we had a large yard in the next street, Holme street, a huge crane was purchased from M.D.H.B ( Merseyside Docks & Harbour Board ) The Dockers union then demanded dock labour would operate the crane, Ulster Link management stood their ground and threatened to pull the whole company out of Liverpool, the dockers union backed down. This was the start of containerisation, this yard was full of 20, 30 and 40ft containers and vehicles moved between here and the newly opened Container base in Aintree.

N.I.T ( Northern Ireland Trailers ) had a transhipping shed in Errington street opposite our gate, this was mainly for the transhipment of eggs from Northern Ireland, we used to carry out small repairs on N.I.T vehicles to save mechanics the journey from Preston, gratitude was expressed in trays of eggs !!

As Ray and 240 Gardner said we were all part of Coast lines / P & O, it all came to an abrupt end for Ulster Link in April 1973 when the depot was closed.

Regards

John

The bit in blue was all that was bad with transport in Liverpool, the bit in red was typical of the REAL" comradeship " between transport people of the time. I remember it well.

Regards John.