mystery trucks

I just received this picture, featuring what looks like an aicraft fuelling truck. Its seems to be RHD, and so possibly British. At the rear, can be seen a grille; mayby the engine is rear-mounted, like on many coaches & buses. Would anyone have a clue?

It’s a Thompson Autotanker made by Thompson Brothers of Bilston. It’s Leyland based and rear engined as you suggest.

Edit : flickr.com/photos/aecsouthall/7187693062

I’ve never seen one in the flesh, but I remember talking to an acquaintance who worked at Thomson’s Gloucester factory (they thought they were getting the build) who told me that the drawings showed the 680 Leyland as fitted to the Atlantean double-decker with a single driven axle. Apparently, there were plans to offer it with a Gardner as an option but I’m not sure if only the one came into being. That front entry door would never be allowed these days!

Thanks to the two of you! I’ll forward the information. And anyone who has pictures of “mystery trucks” is welcome on this thread!

It was a Thompson Autotanker with a Leyland 0.698 Power-Plus motor. Built in 1958, it was a one-off and could carry 4000 gallons in 6 compartments. Here are a few more pictures, including the Matchbox toy version! I remember, as a boy, receiving a comic (Swift, I think) with a cut-away diagram of it. Well, I’ve found it, along with more info on the following link:

flickr.com/photos/brimen/se … 368880798/

Robert

0_b465b_171d52b7_XL.jpg

Autotanker.jpg
majorpack-m1b.jpg

Spot on Robert, you’ve done well to dig out the photos. ROF is correct, there were plans for a Gardner powered version. It’s a lovely bit of engineering and design, but at what cost? It’s a classic example of designing something to solve a problem that didn’t exist when you look at other aircraft re-fuellers built by Thompson on AEC Mammoth Majors and Leyland Octopus / Beavers. Perhaps you can find some photos of these Robert?

gingerfold:
Spot on Robert, you’ve done well to dig out the photos. ROF is correct, there were plans for a Gardner powered version. It’s a lovely bit of engineering and design, but at what cost? It’s a classic example of designing something to solve a problem that didn’t exist when you look at other aircraft re-fuellers built by Thompson on AEC Mammoth Majors and Leyland Octopus / Beavers. Perhaps you can find some photos of these Robert?

I’ll do my best, Graham. Cheers! Robert

I must say that the TrucknetUK Investigation service works very well!

So, that unique truck was designed for general road use (50 mph). I just wonder why they fitted that front entrance? Though there was also an emergency roof exit, it made the escape awkward in case of accident! A traditional side-door entrance would certainly not have weakened the structure of the beast.

Another point: it has no coupling for a trailer. With 220 bhp, it could advantageously have been used coupled with a 3-axle drawbar trailer, adding 4000 more gallons!

Thanks again for your efficiency!

In France, 10 years earlier, Becquet produced a handful of this weird tanker, based on a Bernard CA 6 chassis, powered by a Gardner 6 LW. The entrance was by the roof. I think the cab was made of aluminium alloy.

After a bit of scurrying round the internet, I’ve found out a bit more about what Thompson Tankers of Bilston produced! Robert

BP_Auto-Tanker-B-LowRes.jpg

The first picture shows their 1949 version!

L039460a.jpg
dte591-991AEC%20Thompson%20original%20text_1377406643.jpg

Then there was an AEC Monarch…

dte591-991AEC%20Thompson%20original[2]_1377373722.jpg

…which formed the basis for a Dinky Toy:

dte591-991_1377373952.jpg

A couple of Foden ‘Python’ tankers for the airfield.

Refuelling-ThompsonBros-1960-1.jpg

And an AEC version:

A Scammell R8:

12179664.jpg

A Leyland Beaver artic:

tb14.jpg

And the Octopus:

tb04.jpg

See here, pages 16 to 21; some very interesting detains about the Thompson Autotanker:
google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= … 2s&cad=rja

A very unusual and advanced vehicle, by all ways!

Hope these may be of interest, a few Airport tankers, Old and newer.

I also found this in my library; a retired Python, somewhere in Britain, maybe scrapped by now. It may be a screen copy of Flick’r picture, or come from another Forum/Blog; so many apologies to its eventual owner.

Froggy55:
See here, pages 16 to 21; some very interesting detains about the Thompson Autotanker:
google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= … 2s&cad=rja

A very unusual and advanced vehicle, by all ways!

That’s very informative, Froggy55! If you scroll down its pages you find the BP ‘Autotanker’ and all about it. It was based on a new Leyland chassis called the ‘Dromedary’: yet another animal name in Leyland’s vast menagerie. Robert

Froggy55:

So, that unique truck was designed for general road use (50 mph). I just wonder why they fitted that front entrance? Though there was also an emergency roof exit, it made the escape awkward in case of accident! A traditional side-door entrance would certainly not have weakened the structure of the beast…

Structurally, the “cab” was part of the “chassis”, so keeping the sides solid would make the thing stronger, especially in a front impact. I would rather have the inconvenience of climbing out of the roof, than being crushed. That roof hatch seems like a great idea- the driver had to go up there anyway, to open the lids (or whatever they do up there). I guess the only problem would be rain ingress to the cab.

The reason for the innovation seems to have been the need for speed, combined with carrying capacity. The mono structure would be light, stiff and strong, compared to a conventional chassis/body. It is on the “B” plate, so the maximum gross weight would have been 24 tons, if I am not mistaken. How much fuel would a tanker built on a Power Plus Octopus carry, within that weight?

Great idea for a thread this- there are plenty of weird innovations in the history of tankers.

Heres another leyland mystery truck if ever is seen one! Ha

2004dc8145964dd7[1].jpg

How about this one?