LHD Bollekens cabbed Mk V AECs

Well, while I’m at it I might as well open another obscure '60s thread. This one is pure whimsy: I just happen to think that the Belgian Bollenkens cab fitted to Mk V AECs on the Continent in the late '60s is an aesthetic masterpiece! A beautiful sleeper cab - surely one of the most elegant ever made (and which the Brits should have been fitting in the first place but didn’t) - graces the well-proved AEC Mandator chassis. Perhaps the likes of ‘Mandator’ and ‘Gingerfold’ can fill in a few engine / gearbox details here. In the meantime, here are the pictures. Please feel free to add more! Robert :smiley:

4319886332_608c10d7be_m.jpg
aan617.jpg
8316640212_b335eff133.jpg

iw6t1g.jpg
aec.jpg
AEC106VanGaever_zpsd58d7257.jpg
dfhg.jpg

wwwopac.jpg

Yes Robert, I agree, a fine looking lorry, and a cab that I’ve always admired. These Bollekens cabbed Mandators were based on the export AEC Mk.V specification of 2AV690 engine rated at 192 bhp and 6-speed O/D gearbox driven through a double reduction rear axle with standard ratio of 6.25:1, (Optional axle ratios were available). The export versions had a longer wheelbase than home market models, which no doubt, gave better riding characteristics. There was also a Super Mandator produced with a Timken rear axle.

After the cabs previously shown, Bollekens made one last type of sleeper cab for AEC and LEYLAND vehicles before closure. Incorporated the Ergomatic grille :smiley:

gingerfold:
Yes Robert, I agree, a fine looking lorry, and a cab that I’ve always admired. These Bollekens cabbed Mandators were based on the export AEC Mk.V specification of 2AV690 engine rated at 192 bhp and 6-speed O/D gearbox driven through a double reduction rear axle with standard ratio of 6.25:1, (Optional axle ratios were available). The export versions had a longer wheelbase than home market models, which no doubt, gave better riding characteristics. There was also a Super Mandator produced with a Timken rear axle.

Exactly the info I hoped for, thanks! Glad to see that the well-regarded 6-speed 'box was employed. And yes, the longer wheelbase would definitely have given a better ride and reduced ‘cab nod’. Robert :smiley:

mandator:
After the cabs previously shown, Bollekens made one last type of sleeper cab for AEC and LEYLAND vehicles before closure. Incorporated the Ergomatic grille :smiley:

It’s a creditable attempt to rationalise the ergo front and the Belgian cab, but I reckon the Mk V wins on elegance! Robert :slight_smile:

After the Bollekens cabs, AEC Continental SA, the Belgian importer (Spitals), started the Ergomatic cab range. Here a Monarch of John Martin Ltd bottling company of Antwerp.
Notice the splitted front screen.

Bollekens sleeper cab with Ergomatic grille but smaller back window as on the earlier Mk V AECs

This Bollekens sleeper cab model was introduced on the Mandator & Mammoth Major 6 Mk III. Photo taken at Brussels car show

mandator:
This Bollekens sleeper cab model was introduced on the Mandator & Mammoth Major 6 Mk III. Photo taken at Brussels car show

Van Gaever seems to have used Bollekens cabs quite extensively; I notice that they even cabbed their Scammells and they really looked the Bollekens! Robert :laughing:

…like this one. Robert

Robert, do you know other Scammells in their fleet ? In fact N°61 had in the beginning a British made cab.

mandator:
Robert, do you know other Scammells in their fleet ? In fact N°61 had in the beginning a British made cab.

No, it was probably just the one, then. I notice that even their trailers were stylish in their way! Robert

Here a Mandator of Natural were the hauler was inventive and made a globetrotter avant la lettre :sunglasses:

mandator:
Here a Mandator of Natural were the hauler was inventive and made a globetrotter avant la lettre :sunglasses:

What a marvellous picture! And if you look closely, it is a draw-bar outfit. That cab was certainly advanced for its time. Cheers, Robert :smiley:

Brit drivers hadn’t heard of sleeper cabs in those days! Apart from the parcel shelves in TK Bedfords and the improved F7 variety.
It would be great if someone could dig out a photo or two of the interiors.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Brit drivers hadn’t heard of sleeper cabs in those days! Apart from the parcel shelves in TK Bedfords and the improved F7 variety.
It would be great if someone could dig out a photo or two of the interiors.

I was sent to France in a Bedford TL artic once and had to sleep on the parcel shelf. Needless to say it didn’t happen twice! Robert :laughing:

Hey, as AEC Belgium had bought out of Leyland after the take over as did BMC in Turkey, It could have been a premium player as they had developed and developed and Bollekens had done the same.
Here you had the choice of different ZF boxes too with 12 speed splitter and the 13 tons drive axle.
And sold as 240hp (SAE surely I think) to keep up with the Sweeds, as they had already 260/275 DIN horses.
Always nice pics to see them back, only never enough of them. :frowning:
Pitty, still not one restored here, and thinking they stood with piles at scrapyards in the '60 and '70’s even beginning the '80’s. :imp: :smiling_imp:

Eric,

tiptop495:
Hey, as AEC Belgium had bought out of Leyland after the take over as did BMC in Turkey, It could have been a premium player as they had developed and developed and Bollekens had done the same.
Here you had the choice of different ZF boxes too with 12 speed splitter and the 13 tons drive axle.
And sold as 240hp (SAE surely I think) to keep up with the Sweeds, as they had already 260/275 DIN horses.
Always nice pics to see them back, only never enough of them. :frowning:
Pitty, still not one restored here, and thinking they stood with piles at scrapyards in the '60 and '70’s even beginning the '80’s. :imp: :smiling_imp:

Eric,

That’s interesting Eric. A ZF12-speed 'box would have made more sense with a fully-freighted draw-bar outfit at Benelux max gross weights! Robert