Street & road scenes

grumpy old man:

Suedehead:

I’ll take that little Austin 7, my very first car was an Austin 7, I bought it in Ardwick, Manchester and brought it back to Dewsbury over Standedge, I wish I still had it. Mrs GOM and myself were only young at the time (no spare money), the Austin needed new tyres, we had rent to pay so the Austin had to go. IIRC I sold it for £25 but that was back in the 50’s :frowning:

Back in the late fifties, not long before the MOT test came in, an uncle of mine had dropped us off in Skipsea for our holidays. It was about seventy miles, and we’d gone in his 1938 Ford 8. It had been a struggle for the old banger, down on power and overheating regularly. When he came to pick us up a week later, he said he wanted to call in Bridlington before we set off back, but it soon became obvious that the Ford wasn’t going to get us back home. By chance, there was a car auction going on, so my dad suggested calling in to see if there was anything going cheap. Uncle bid on an early postwar Prefect, and got it for £8, nobody else bid on it. Dad asked the auctioneer if he could take a late entry, to which he agreed. The old Ford was coaxed back to life and rolled onto the block, two bids, sold for a tenner! Fish and chips all round, a good journey back home, and uncle kept that Prefect for three or four more years without having to spend much on it.