Siddle C Cook.

Wed 5th April, A talk about Siddle C Cook by Nigel Cook. It will be of interest to the oldies
and hopefully with lots of photos. The venue is Ovington Social Club, Ovington Village, Northumberland. Time is 1930, free of charge . The village is easily accessible from either direction off the A69. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:
Wed 5th April, A talk about Siddle C Cook by Nigel Cook. It will be of interest to the oldies
and hopefully with lots of photos. The venue is Ovington Social Club, Ovington Village, Northumberland. Time is 1930, free of charge . The village is easily accessible from either direction off the A69. Regards Kev.

. Thanks Kev, It should be good, Cookies were the largest heavy haulage co in the area in the heyday, Larry.

Looking in at the Siddle C.Cook thread I recalled the comment my Great Aunt Dora made about the Cook family in around 1968 when she would have been in her early 80’s ( not sure how old !) She was one of my Great Grandad Thomas Bewick’s two Daughters ( the other one was my Gran ) Anyway I can’t recall exactly how Cooks name came into the conversation at the time probably when I used to chat to her I must have said that one of Siddles had just passed through Kendal as by that time they were a large outfit and possibly had been bought out by Tayforth ! However the name of the Cook family obviously struck a chord with Aunt Dora as she was straight out with a not very complimentary remark along the lines of " Ooh! those Cooks were a very rough family who we never had any dealings with" ! Aunt Dora used to go up Weardale in the early 1900’s as a young girl with a pony and trap delivering parcels that the Bewick steamers brought back from Newcastle . So don’t castigate me lads as what I have recalled is gospel as told to me by someone who was involved in the Thomas Bewick & Son carrier business well before WW1. Cheers Bewick :wink:

Bewick:
Looking in at the Siddle C.Cook thread I recalled the comment my Great Aunt Dora made about the Cook family in around 1968 when she would have been in her early 80’s ( not sure how old !) She was one of my Great Grandad Thomas Bewick’s two Daughters ( the other one was my Gran ) Anyway I can’t recall exactly how Cooks name came into the conversation at the time probably when I used to chat to her I must have said that one of Siddles had just passed through Kendal as by that time they were a large outfit and possibly had been bought out by Tayforth ! However the name of the Cook family obviously struck a chord with Aunt Dora as she was straight out with a not very complimentary remark along the lines of " Ooh! those Cooks were a very rough family who we never had any dealings with" ! Aunt Dora used to go up Weardale in the early 1900’s as a young girl with a pony and trap delivering parcels that the Bewick steamers brought back from Newcastle . So don’t castigate me lads as what I have recalled is gospel as told to me by someone who was involved in the Thomas Bewick & Son carrier business well before WW1. Cheers Bewick :wink:

Great turnout last evening for the talk by Nigel Cook . It was a fairly comprehensive family archive, with old pictures and recollections of a very large family, but no " granny gossip" on the other local hauliers . :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: Also on offer was a very nice Pie and Pea supper. Excellent evening out , and a chance to catch up with some old acquaintances.
Well done Ralph and the other club officials involved. Regards Kev.

Yes Kev It was a good turnout, I really enjoyed it, And as you said Ralph & His team did a good job, Larry.