Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Buzzer:

TIR Original:

gazzer:
I never knew Prince’s were a Dodge Distributor…prior to shifting to Tilbury’s I 'spose.

That Mandator of R A Lane I always assumed was summat to do with Ken Lane…but then maybe not!

Hi Gazzer and yes Ken Lane bought that AEC with a V8 from Princes at Millbrook. He was then running his company under his first wifes name and that was Rose Anne Lane. This truck was plagued with problems from the day of purchase and in one instance he arrived at Princes with a gallon of petrol and was seriously going to set fire to it on the forecourt.
Me and Ken were having a bender in some pub at the bottom of town one night 'cause he told me that it was on the way back form Italy on the back (not the front!) of a low loader, broken down again. After many Bicardi’s I offered to buy it from him for £2,000. The deal was done on the back of a B & H ■■■ packet. He rang me up the next morning and said that I did not have to stick to the deal but I insisted.
I ran the truck for three or four years and all that went wrong with it was a broken fan belt. In that time it had 2 drivers, one was my brother-in-law Gordon Glasspool ex. Pitters and Ken ■■■■. I am sure that I have told this story on here before but cant be bothered to look.
Regards Nobby.

Hi Nobby you mention your brother in law name of Glasspool, did he hail from North Baddesley only I bought an F88 of a man with the same name, he parked it behind the hardware shop pictured, cheers Buzzer

John
That was Colin Glasspool from Baddesley, it was my first trip abroad in that F88 with Colin dropped a trl in Foz sur mer then reloaded apples in peyrolles for the old spitalsfield market, Colin if he’s still about was in a wheelchair haven’t seen him for a couple of years, his son eugene was on here but not for a while
Jeremy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk