Buses, coaches, & lorries

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:

ParkRoyal2100:
A 1990 Denning Landseer (Detroit 6v92ta) for your listening pleasure (I’ve been on a few, never forgotten the noise):
youtube.com/watch?v=VL2YphPm01k

I always thought that the 6v92 fitted in some Bedford TMs sounded better than the 6 or 8v71 and even the 8v92.
The 12 and 16v71 being exceptions those are just awesome.The latter both in terms of its torque from idle let alone noise.
There are some 12v71 powered coaches in preservation.

It must be a matter of musical taste, this diesel sound thing. I’ve never been able to get my head round the aesthetic joy of two-stroke anything, be it Detroit, Foden, Commer or motorbikes. Give me the mellifluous tones of a Leyland 0.680, a 14-litre ■■■■■■■■ a V8 Scanny or an 8LXB any day! :laughing:

It’s probably a subjective thing that like music depends a lot on what we grew up with and in my case was
formed by a lot of time spent around tuned 6 and 8 cylinder car engines then my introduction to working with and driving trucks in large part consisted of Detroit engined vehicles unusually for this country but a result of the sector I started out in.
All of which left me with the analogy of the MOTOWN wall of sound in the case of those v George Harrison type acoustic guitar In My Sweet Lord for Rolls 265 and DAF 2800 for example.I like them both equally.
But in general I prefer the sound of 6 or 12 cylinders to 8.Bearing in mind the sound of a Merlin or better 4 of them running at 2 to 3,000 rpm nails it for me as the definitive sound of the internal combustion engine and as good as it gets.

Absolutely! And good point about associative sound memory with good times. :sunglasses: