Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

peterm:

Star down under.:

peterm:
I used to deliver hides to Dalgety’s at Teneriffe, Brisbane among others. Oh what a lovely job, but it was better than not working.

The buildings have now been converted to yuppy, upmarket flats. The smell of lanolin is still strong and pervasive.

I know, but it’s good to know they still stink for the benefit of said yuppy’s. :laughing: The sheep skins did make you stink and even after a shower, I was still a bit ripe. I never carted treated hides, only wet one’s and boy were they slippery. I found the best way to move them was by two fingers through the [zb]. As they came off the truck the blokes would be chucking salt over them. There was another place at Lytton Rd, Hemmant where I also took hoofs and other stuff for glue. I’d been there one day with three hoppers of glue pieces and on the way back, half way round a bend a car coming the other way swerved into the armco on his left and stopped. I did the right thing and walked back to see if anyone was hurt. He and his wife were OK, but he said that thing came off your truck and hit us. I was dumbfounded, but went back and saw that the middle one was missing. It turned out that the rope had broken (rotten with blood), the hopper had come off, hit the car and bounced back behind me and down a ditch on my left. At the time there was a police station right there. This big fat copper came waddling out and gave me a ticket for an unsafe load. $10.00.

We’re you with AJ Bush? I think Jackson’s did the hides, but not the waste. I don’t recall AJ Bush doing hides.