Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

tyneside:

Dennis Javelin:
The reg no on the left hand wagon seems strange. Would this have been new in 1964?

If it was new in 1964 (which I doubt) the B would have been at the end of the reg not the beginning
Tyneside

That’s a 1983/4 registration. At one time if you applied to register a used but previously unregistered vehicle, ex-ministry say, or imported, or had run on trade plates for years, or an old vehicle that had lost it’s reg. number for some reason like abandonment after having a nice number transferred to another vehicle, or lost off the system when DVLC as it was then computerised its records, you were issued with a new number from the current issue. I once had a 1965 ex-MOD Land -Rover registered on a K when it was sold off for civilian service in 1972. You could if you preferred request an age related number, big licensing authorities had run out of old style numbers hence the suffixes, but a lot of restored old vehicles were issued with Scots numbers as less vehicles were registered there and some old numbers were left over.
The rules changed around or soon after the time that Bedford was registered, a vehicle could no longer carry a number that made it appear newer than it really was, older vehicles had to be issued with an age related number as long as it’s age could be proved, where there was no proof they were issued with a “Q” prefixed plate. It’s now very difficult to get an age related number, needing all sorts of proof and inspections including extracts from factory records, and if you do get one it’s non-transferable and stays with the vehicle for ever. Five years ago I did a 1950 Land-Rover that had lost it’s number 30/40 years ago and really had to jump through hoops to get it sorted, and I’m told it’s a lot harder now.
The Bedford in the photo would qualify for a age-related plate but only if the owner can prove it’s history, especially it’s exact date of manufacture.
Bernard