Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Carl Williams:
Hi Tyneside One of the few pleasures in life at the moment is seeing photos you have dug up as they bring back so many memories,

The United was one of their coaches. As opposed to service buses the livery was reversed with cream being the major colour. When I was 11 I went to Bow School Durham as a boarder before going to Durham at 14plus. Bow was and still is situated as you go into Durham down South Road from the then ■■■■ of the North to The New Inn & situated on left just before the traffic lights.
Being a boarder was just really learning and sleeping & I used to see quite a lot of these United ‘Coaches’ as they went through the traffic lights and up the incline as they departed Durham.
shows how it was like being in Prison as I got pleasure from watching buses pass as I longed for freedom. It wasn’t my parents choice for me to board as they actually missed my presence at home, but Bow would only accept me as such as they needed the time to bring my education up to scratch to get to the standard to pass my exams to get into Durham School.
My dad wrote me every day giving me full information on what the vans were doing & what was happening in the business & although as I said it was like prison, me and my school mates were all the same and it taught all of us to stand on our own feet & realise you have to be independent & look after yourself.
Anyway enough of my waffle & thank you for the photos

Carl

Pleased you enjoy them Carl, I will keep on looking see what I can find !! Tyneside