Gibbs of Fraserburgh back on the road

Faceofdoh:

euroscot:
A few more i took that day

First and fourth picture have puzzled me. On every 6 x 2 unit I’ve driven (all with midlift axles), and any others I’ve observed, you steer the truck and the mid axle steers as well, just not as much as the front axle. On the photos I mentioned, the front axle is turning, but it doesn’t look like the mid axle is steering at all.
Is it just my perception or is this 6 x 2 different for some reason? Can’t think it’s a money saving exercise as the tyre wear would negate that (probably).

My initial thought was that those images have just been doctored but I’d be happy to be proved wrong…

No it’s quite right Faceofdoh, over the past 30 years manufacturers have one by one gone to unsteered mid-lifts, rather than twin-steer until now only IVECO and DAF have the middle axle steered as standard with all the others makes being an expensive option or simply not available. Whilst they cost more you do get much better tyre life with a twin-steer on the front as well as the middle and marginally better fuel too coupled with very neutral handling with a well tracked steer compared to some serious understeer with a fixed axle.