European Breakdowns

Hi, not been on here before and wonder if anyone can offer some advice, not sure whether to post here or Operators forum

We have only recently started doing European work, we get a regular weekly run to Lagos in Portugal and had loads to Spain and France over the last couple of months. Keep hearing about scary stories of cost of breakdown in Europe, is there any breakdown cover we can buy.

PS: Currently we go through the tunnel to Portugal/Spain, is this the best option?

Page:
Hi, not been on here before and wonder if anyone can offer some advice, not sure whether to post here or Operators forum

We have only recently started doing European work, we get a regular weekly run to Lagos in Portugal and had loads to Spain and France over the last couple of months. Keep hearing about scary stories of cost of breakdown in Europe, is there any breakdown cover we can buy.

PS: Currently we go through the tunnel to Portugal/Spain, is this the best option?

Breakdown cover is available but depends on vehicle age etc. If youve an older truck then be prepared for a shock. Breaking down on many roads will involve a suspended tow, and that will need to be done quickly, and it aint cheap. On some peages only approved recovery firms will be used, they will be called by the road operator or the police and you only get your vehicle back after the bill is paid.

Route from UK to Portugal? Depends on your starting point in the UK.
Western channel ferries cost more than the short crossings, but may save fuel, driving time, and peage cost. Bristol to Bx you`ll save 200?km and lots of peage, by using Pompey rather than Dover.
You need to work it out accurately to see which is best for you.

Edit, Check the direct to Spain routes too. They are expensive but can enable trucks to move on 24 off rests and avoid weekends away. Depends on lots of things whether it suits you.

Franglais:

Page:

Breakdown cover is available but depends on vehicle age etc. If youve an older truck then be prepared for a shock. Breaking down on many roads will involve a suspended tow, and that will need to be done quickly, and it aint cheap. On some peages only approved recovery firms will be used, they will be called by the road operator or the police and you only get your vehicle back after the bill is paid.

Route from UK to Portugal? Depends on your starting point in the UK.
Western channel ferries cost more than the short crossings, but may save fuel, driving time, and peage cost. Bristol to Bx you`ll save 200?km and lots of peage, by using Pompey rather than Dover.
You need to work it out accurately to see which is best for you.

Edit, Check the direct to Spain routes too. They are expensive but can enable trucks to move on 24 off rests and avoid weekends away. Depends on lots of things whether it suits you.

Thanks, we have just put on the road a 3 year old Volvo which is covered by a two year Volvo breakdown warrantee, the other truck that has ventured into Europe is a 5 year old Iveco. Rest are 17 plated trucks.

We run out of Chester. well Deeside.

Look at your mpg figures and mileage, also peage and ferry costs. Look the spreadover/driving time on the day you leave base.
It will take more than 5 minutes to work it all out, but there is no short cut to doing it right.

About 300km saving if going Pompey, rather than Dover, and 90 euro peage. That`s a quick one minute look only, check it yourself.

I used to run LWB Sprinters from NE England to The Algarve regularly so admittedly driver hours and tachos were not a concern but if time wasn’t an issue I would alway opt for Plymouth to Santander. I costed everything in my business and I worked out that going to Southern Portugal via Dover/Calais was £10 cheaper than Plymouth/Santander, but that’s without the extra driving, the chance of a breakdown, police interference etc.

Plymouth to Santander was a no brainer to me. Plus there was alway totty on the long boat :smiley:

I hope the vehicles carry spare wheels at least?
Personally I have always had a jack and wheel brace too, saves a fortune in call out when in Europe, and saves time too.
A brand new tyre from a monopoly service, on a m-way is eye watering!