Germany

If anyone can give any information on the following I would be grateful -

We are sending an 18 ton rigid Euro 5 to Germany next month on a one-off trip from the UK.

Do we have to register with Toll Collect in advance or can we pay as we go, i.e. pick up a device from a service station?

We last did a trip through Germany 3 years ago and my driver tried 3 service stations to get a box without success so in the end went through without one!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Moonraker:

We are sending an 18 ton rigid Euro 5 to Germany next month on a one-off trip from the UK.

Do we have to register with Toll Collect in advance or can we pay as we go, i.e. pick up a device from a service station?

We last did a trip through Germany 3 years ago and my driver tried 3 service stations to get a box without success so in the end went through without one!

Thank you

Boxes aren`t available at the roadside and aren``t worthwhile for occasional use anyway.
Get the Toll Collect app on mobile device and “pay as you go”. Just register and pay in advance for your trip.
toll-collect.de/en/toll_col … -beginners

Moonraker:

Thank you

You can do it all online just log into their website it is better to do it on a pay as you go basis if you pre book your route and then have to take a different route due to a motorway closure it is bit of a carry on then setting up the new route and cancelling the old one. The online system is very good only takes a couple of minutes and can be paid either by fuel or bank card. Be aware that since your last trip many more roads have come under the MAUT umbrella the promise when it was rolled out that it was only for the autobahns didn’t last to long and you can find youself suddenly on a MAUT covered road with very little warning.

Thank you Franglais and Mazzer2 - Your advice is much appreciated. That seems to be the best way to do it. Thank you.