"El Pais" Spanish newspaper

In today’s edition of the above newspaper,English language edition,is an article written by a reporter who spent 4 days with a Spanish truck driver during his journey from Spain to Huntingdon with a load of grapes.It was a little superficial but it outlined the thoughts of the driver and the difficulties he faces on a regular basis.
I have to wonder if any of the British press would consider such an article of sufficient public interest to send a reporter to do the same.

Link…

A good read Gidders!

That about sums up International transport and why kids don’t want to do it.
Fuentes Transport drivers are what I consider one of the smartest dressed drivers in Europe,nearly always in a uniform,they certainly stand out as a more professional outfit than Trota or J Carrion.
I think kids would be more interested if like the old days they were allowed to accompany their fathers/mothers like I was able to and I did get into my bloodstream and don’t want to do anything else in life.
I still love it but I fear for the future of the profession.

Yes, definitely a good read gidders. Only done the occasional, in a truck and pre brexit, trip across the channel to collect machinery purchased by ourselves. But having done umpteen car trips all over europe for business and pleasure appreciate the upsides and downsides of what guys like him experience, as well as how important and underrated it is. Easy enough getting the emails as your consignment enters and exits a country or distribution centre but easy to forget if that guy in the cab messes up you might not get it at all.

Gidders:
In today’s edition of the above newspaper,English language edition,is an article written by a reporter who spent 4 days with a Spanish truck driver during his journey from Spain to Huntingdon with a load of grapes.It was a little superficial but it outlined the thoughts of the driver and the difficulties he faces on a regular basis.
I have to wonder if any of the British press would consider such an article of sufficient public interest to send a reporter to do the same.

Where you 60000 vacancy in UK?Where standing 60000 truck?where not delivered load.Sorry but some old drivers simply like talk ■■■■■■■ and they think who without them finish of world?Any job must work.Nobody push any one go work for drivers.In all Eupore we have much more truck and drivers than required.Easy can reduced for 10-20 percent.

Andrejs:

Gidders:

Where you 60000 vacancy in UK?Where standing 60000 truck?where not delivered load.Sorry but some old drivers simply like talk [zb] and they think who without them finish of world?Any job must work.Nobody push any one go work for drivers.In all Eupore we have much more truck and drivers than required.Easy can reduced for 10-20 percent.

It’s not old drivers who are talking about the shortage it’s being talked up by trade organisations looking for government handouts to get them out of a mess of their own making. If there is oversupply of drivers in the EU then why are EU companies recruiting Phillipino and Indian drivers?

Where is the UK driver shortage?
Remember this?
"The government will temporarily extend road haulage cabotage to allow, until 30 April 2022, unlimited cabotage movements of HGVs within Great Britain for up to 14 days after arriving in the United Kingdom on a laden international journey.

This measure will make temporary changes to Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) legislation so that the relevant non-UK operators travelling in Great Britain do not need to start paying VED."
gov.uk/government/publicati … e-cabotage

Lots more freedom to work, without visas and VED, for foreign drivers and hauliers.

How many are actually doing this? I can`t see any figures. Anyone?

Will it be extended? Will all be good for the UK in a few months?

Mazzer2:

Andrejs:

Gidders:

Where you 60000 vacancy in UK?Where standing 60000 truck?where not delivered load.Sorry but some old drivers simply like talk [zb] and they think who without them finish of world?Any job must work.Nobody push any one go work for drivers.In all Eupore we have much more truck and drivers than required.Easy can reduced for 10-20 percent.

It’s not old drivers who are talking about the shortage it’s being talked up by trade organisations looking for government handouts to get them out of a mess of their own making. If there is oversupply of drivers in the EU then why are EU companies recruiting Phillipino and Indian drivers?

They talk ready 10+ years about 60000 vacancy,empty shelf,no food for Christmas dinners.But all shelf full,factory work,no full standing and not delivered trailers.Where this standing truck?Not delivered load?Magicly.We have 60000 vacancy not can t see any singly not delivered pallets.we have big numbers of drivers turnover .Some drivers jump from company to company every week for some reason.And do this we can see vacancy atstatment but not in life.

Very interesting read, however, if I had to work like that Spanish driver does, I would have packed it in several years ago I reckon.

One of the benefits of driving throughout Europe is that you can actually see and visit places when you’re parked up for the weekend. It’s not that hard to find a Les Routiers, Autohof, Truckstop, restaurant with proper public transport connections, during the winter it’s a bit different obviously, but as soon as spring starts, I’m off visiting places. I do realise that it’s probably different on fridge work, where driving hours are pushed to the limit, but even so, I can’t imagine that one isn’t able to get to park up somewhere proper.

What is worrying though, is indeed the lack of “fresh blood” in the industry, on the other hand, I can’t really blame them either seeing in what sort of conditions we have to work.

pv83:
Very interesting read, however, if I had to work like that Spanish driver does, I would have packed it in several years ago I reckon.

One of the benefits of driving throughout Europe is that you can actually see and visit places when you’re parked up for the weekend. It’s not that hard to find a Les Routiers, Autohof, Truckstop, restaurant with proper public transport connections, during the winter it’s a bit different obviously, but as soon as spring starts, I’m off visiting places. I do realise that it’s probably different on fridge work, where driving hours are pushed to the limit, but even so, I can’t imagine that one isn’t able to get to park up somewhere proper.

What is worrying though, is indeed the lack of “fresh blood” in the industry, on the other hand, I can’t really blame them either seeing in what sort of conditions we have to work.

Ain’t that the truth!