UK to EU Driving Time Question

Greetings all…

Bear with me please as I am a new to UK to EU drive. Been driving around UK for 5 years…

Situation:
If I drive 4 hrs to arrive at Dover… Place tacho on ferry mode for 2 hrs of sailing…

Questions:
How long do I have left to drive till first break?
How long do I have left to drive for the day (based on a 9hr)?
How long do I have on a WTD 15 hr?

Some may appear stupid but I’d rather ask than assume and get slapped on the road…

Peace and blessings
Disciple

First off you have no need to use ferry mode for a straight forward ferry crossing, just go onto the ferry drive off the other side and continue your days driving. As to WTD the 2 hours plus that you get on the ferry will cover any WTD breaks.

As above.
Ferry Mode is only relevant if interrupting a Daily Rest Period (your night rest). And then, only if you have access to a bunk etc.
Forget Ferry Mode for Dover/Calais ferry or Eurotunnel.

Franglais:
As above.
Ferry Mode is only relevant if interrupting a Daily Rest Period (your night rest). And then, only if you have access to a bunk etc.

Ferry mode can be used on the Dover Calais crossing if needed wouldn’t make a habit of it but have been pulled the same day as using it and there was no issue,but defiantly not on Eurotunnel

Mazzer2:

Franglais:
As above.

Ferry mode can be used on the Dover Calais crossing if needed wouldn’t make a habit of it but have been pulled the same day as using it and there was no issue,but defiantly not on Eurotunnel

You’ve used it? OK.
And you didn’t get busted when checked? OK.
That doesn’t make it legal.

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:
As above.

You’ve used it? OK.
And you didn’t get busted when checked? OK.
That doesn’t make it legal.

All right goody two shoes never said it did but the practicalities of using the Dover Calais crossing means that you can turn up with 7 hours left on your spread and not get to the boat in your time so options are give up and waste the time you’ve been waiting and start again the next day or use ferry mode to get across not ideal and I did say don’t make a habit of it and if needed. I was pulled in Holyhead having just run up from Dover we get very little leeway in Holyhead explained the situation and not a problem the authorities understand the problems around Calais, people need to stop scaring new drivers about the authorities have a good attitude and you’ll find that once a situation has been explained they are ok

So the legal way would be to use “ferry mode” for the duration of the trip…

Add the ferry time and the “driving time” of the day together and as long as that stays under (9 hrs driving) and 15 WTD I am legally fine.

Peace and blessings
Disciple

Disciple:

Add the ferry time and the “driving time” of the day together and as long as that stays under (9 hrs driving) and 15 WTD I am legally fine.

Peace and blessings
Disciple

If you keep it within 15hrs and 9hrs, you should be legal. (Assuming you have a reduced rest available)
No need to use Ferry Mode at all.

Disciple:

Peace and blessings
Disciple

As said no need for ferry mode just treat the journey as a normal day with the exception being when you finish your end country needs to be the new country that you are in.

I’ve just read in a TM discussion group about a driver who got stopped in Germany, he was asked how he’d gotten there, through the channel tunnel he told them, “but you didn’t use train ferry mode” they responded, “No but I didn’t put it on break/rest either, just left it on other work”

They fined him 300 euros apparently :unamused:

Zac_A:
I’ve just read in a TM discussion group about a driver who got stopped in Germany, he was asked how he’d gotten there, through the channel tunnel he told them, “but you didn’t use train ferry mode” they responded, “No but I didn’t put it on break/rest either, just left it on other work”

I’ll believe that when I see the paperwork for it. [emoji3]
What offence has occurred?
Ferry Mode is to allow interruption of daily rest…nothing else.

Franglais:

Zac_A:

I’ll believe that when I see the paperwork for it. [emoji3]
What offence has occurred?
Ferry Mode is to allow interruption of daily rest…nothing else.

Possibly incorrect mode leaving it on other work when taking a break must have been national pedants day in Germany. Sometimes the police aren’t the sharpest tools I spent half an hour explaining to a copper on the A34 that unless you were doing a ferry break you didn’t need to use the ferry mode he couldn’t understand how going into France using Newhaven I used the ferry mode but coming out through Calais I didn’t.

It’s third hand info so… yes, some scepticism is healthy