Schengen 90/180 days rule

No stamps or checks being carried out at Eurotunnel by the French when leaving the UK, passport was scanned by Eurotunnel staff just after checking in, only sign of any French officialdom was standing outside their office on a smoke break.

Mazzer2:
No stamps or checks being carried out at Eurotunnel by the French when leaving the UK, passport was scanned by Eurotunnel staff just after checking in, only sign of any French officialdom was standing outside their office on a smoke break.

Sounds about right.
Been through various borders without someone in uniform looking at my passport.
Never failed to have my passport scanned by ferry or tunnel company yet though.
So, the info from your passport collected by the companies is being used??
I assumed (right or wrong) that this was the point your ID was put onto national computers to say you were entering or leaving a country (UK) or zone (Schengen).
I assumed that a scan at this point, if problematic, would stop you getting on train/ferry, and end the smoke break of the Police Frontiers?
The ferry/train company wouldn’t give a ticket if national computers say “no”?
As I say only a guess.

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Sounds about right.
I assumed (right or wrong) that this was the point your ID was put onto national computers to say you were entering or leaving a country (UK) or zone (Schengen).
I assumed that a scan at this point, if problematic, would stop you getting on train/ferry, and end the smoke break of the Police Frontiers?
As I say only a guess.

Think it will depend on where the scanned information goes there is a time limit as to how long a company can hold your personal details and it is under 90 days as a regular Irish Ferries user I am asked my details every time I sail I have asked why I have to give the same details everytime and the answer is data protection as they are not allowed to keep my details indefinatly on the system. If it goes to a government agency then there may be different rules as to how long your personal details can be kept.

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Sounds about right.
As I say only a guess.

Think it will depend on where the scanned information goes there is a time limit as to how long a company can hold your personal details and it is under 90 days as a regular Irish Ferries user I am asked my details every time I sail I have asked why I have to give the same details everytime and the answer is data protection as they are not allowed to keep my details indefinatly on the system. If it goes to a government agency then there may be different rules as to how long your personal details can be kept.

If the company is connected to a Gov site, it won`t need to store anything.
The same way office staff can upload into a customs site, a travel company might enter your details into a Gov system. Dunno if that is whats happening or not.

I`ll try and ask around some of the friendlier faces in the ferry offices.

pierrot 14:

Franglais:
Does the system really rely on stamps in paper passports?
Don’t EU countries look at the details the ferry/aero companies take at booking/check in times? Passport controls at companies and borders scan the passports so it’ll all be (should be) on putor.
Not heard of any problems myself.

Don’t EU countries look at the details the ferry/aero companies take at booking/check in times? Passport controls at companies and borders scan the passports so it’ll all be (should be) on putor .

NO

Wrong

Shout as much as you like but Franglais is correct (again) according to Brittany ferries.

“We are required to provide Border Authorities both in UK and on the Continent with a variety of mandatory information including dates of birth, prior to sailing. Failure to do so could cause considerable delay at check in or refused travel”

All standard info on the obligatory Ships Manifest though I assume the old practice of throwing the “Ships Bag” overboard while docking has been replaced by the putor as Franglais already said. Taking back control is really making a wonderful difference :unamused:

Hurryup&wait:

pierrot 14:

Franglais:
Don’t EU countries look at the details the ferry/aero companies take at booking/check in times? Passport controls at companies and borders scan the passports so it’ll all be (should be) on putor.

Don’t EU countries look at the details the ferry/aero companies take at booking/check in times? Passport controls at companies and borders scan the passports so it’ll all be (should be) on putor .

NO

Wrong

Shout as much as you like but Franglais is correct (again) according to Brittany ferries.

“We are required to provide Border Authorities both in UK and on the Continent with a variety of mandatory information including dates of birth, prior to sailing. Failure to do so could cause considerable delay at check in or refused travel”

All standard info on the obligatory Ships Manifest though I assume the old practice of throwing the “Ships Bag” overboard while docking has been replaced by the putor as Franglais already said. Taking back control is really making a wonderful difference :unamused:

No different to pre Brexit as the UK was out of the Schengen Agreement

Mazzer2:

Hurryup&wait:

pierrot 14:

Franglais:

NO

Wrong

No different to pre Brexit as the UK was out of the Schengen Agreement

Not quite the same though, is it?
The details might be passed along the same channels as before, but now there are additional limits on the right to cross borders.
Previously we (UK citizens) could travel around the EU freely. Now we have more rules to follow.
Previously all the EU point of entry had to do was confirm someone was a UK passport holder. Now they might want to examine dates of entry/exit etc.
As I’ve said, I’ve not heard of problems for drivers, but there are reports of issues for others.

It is the same in terms of what information you give your passport was always swiped and not just looked at I agree the 90 day rule is different but you could never go from the UK into the Schengen area without a passport or your details being taken and that is exactly the same for Irish citizens. The problems arise where officials do not have access to the data or do not correctly stamp your passport. The example of the woman entering Spain is probably more about the Spanish claim to Gibralter than anything else as a swipe of her passport at the crossing point would have shown her movements.
To add once you have entered the Schengen area you can still move about freely within the limits of the 90 days but you will not be stopped at any border you may cross within the area

Hi all i did not think we had ever been in the Schengen agreement, could be wrong.

A propos of my post on Dec.4th my wife has since renewed her passport which shows no record of her earlier journey to the continent so she could be safe from reprisal.On the other hand my passport still shows me on the continent since September.The French embassy suggests I keep a record of my journey or contact the French border force at Coquelles.

Gidders:
A propos of my post on Dec.4th my wife has since renewed her passport which shows no record of her earlier journey to the continent so she could be safe from reprisal.On the other hand my passport still shows me on the continent since September.The French embassy suggests I keep a record of my journey or contact the French border force at Coquelles.

Go to Dover, buy one of those cheap rubber boats they are auctioning off. Go in under the radar and then sell the boat off…
No stamp, and turn a profit! :smiley:

It is a nonsense that could turn into a PITA, that is my concern.
Page out of my passport, the opposite way up one is when I magically entered france when I was still there :question:

Franglais:

Gidders:

Go to Dover, buy one of those cheap rubber boats they are auctioning off. Go in under the radar and then sell the boat off…
No stamp, and turn a profit! :smiley:

Good thinking,Batman.Would it be a bit cheeky if I took a bit of rope and got a tow off a regular ferry?

connexionfrance.com/French- … -358953393

One to watch out for peeps

This from The Connexion Website,
Are British lorry drivers
exempt from the
Schengen area’s 90/180-days
rule? Are they exempt from this if
they regularly travel between the
UK and EU? C.W.

WE CHECKED with sources at the
European Commission about the
90/180-day rule and its applicability
to lorry drivers involved in commercial transport between the UK and
the Schengen area.
As you know, normally this rule is
applied to all non-EU/EEA/Swiss
‘visitors’ to the Schengen area, if they
are of nationalities that are exempt
from the need for a short-term visitor
visa, even for brief trips.
The rules state that a person should
not spend more than 90 days out of
any rolling 180-day period in the
Schengen area as a whole, and this is
checked by the stamping of passports
into and out of the area.
A European Commission source
said that there are no special exemptions on this issue, so the 90/180-day
rule and passport stamping also apply
to lorry drivers crossing in and out of the Schengen area.

OwenMoney:
This from The Connexion Website,
Are British lorry drivers
exempt from the
Schengen area’s 90/180-days
rule? Are they exempt from this if
they regularly travel between the
UK and EU? C.W.

WE CHECKED with sources at the
European Commission about the
90/180-day rule and its applicability
to lorry drivers involved in commercial transport between the UK and
the Schengen area.
As you know, normally this rule is
applied to all non-EU/EEA/Swiss
‘visitors’ to the Schengen area, if they
are of nationalities that are exempt
from the need for a short-term visitor
visa, even for brief trips.
The rules state that a person should
not spend more than 90 days out of
any rolling 180-day period in the
Schengen area as a whole, and this is
checked by the stamping of passports
into and out of the area.
A European Commission source
said that there are no special exemptions on this issue, so the 90/180-day
rule and passport stamping also apply
to lorry drivers crossing in and out of the Schengen area.

Given the ad hoc stamping of passports at the ports of entry I think it will be difficult to see you has or hasn’t broken the rules according to my passport I haven’t been out the UK sincethe end of January despite having just done two Swiss trips back to back in the last two weeks of Feb, using the tunnel seems to be an easy way to avoid stamps or coming in during the night

gerbil sb152:
Hi all i did not think we had ever been in the Schengen agreement, could be wrong.

You are not wrong we never signed up to get rid of our sea and air borders or water-guard.

Maybe this is the 90 day thing they are getting their pantaloons in a pickle with.

etiasvisa.com/

gerbil sb152:

You are not wrong we never signed up to get rid of our sea and air borders or water-guard.

Maybe this is the 90 day thing they are getting their pantaloons in a pickle with.

etiasvisa.com/

Thanks Wheel Nut . That’s a useful post.
This is a part of the site.
BRITAIN’S NEW BLUE PASSPORT
Former Prime Minister Theresa May confirmed the return of the blue passports and that they are an expression of “independence and sovereignty.”

As a member of the EU, British passports had been burgundy. New passports issued to British citizens are now blue. Travellers will also notice that the words ‘European Union’ have been removed from the cover.

Post-Brexit rules mean British passports must be valid for at least 3 months after the date they will leave the European country they are visiting.

Once the Entry/Exit System (EES) becomes operational, travellers will no longer need to have their British passport stamped.

EES will register the entry and exit of third-country nationals crossing external EU borders. Like ETIAS, EES will improve border management.

So ( Mazzer ) once this system is active, the info for entry/leaving will be recorded wether a passport is stamped or not.

OwenMoney:
Thanks Wheel Nut . That’s a useful post.
This is a part of the site.
BRITAIN’S NEW BLUE PASSPORT
Former Prime Minister Theresa May confirmed the return of the blue passports and that they are an expression of “independence and sovereignty.”

As a member of the EU, British passports had been burgundy. New passports issued to British citizens are now blue. Travellers will also notice that the words ‘European Union’ have been removed from the cover.

Post-Brexit rules mean British passports must be valid for at least 3 months after the date they will leave the European country they are visiting.

Once the Entry/Exit System (EES) becomes operational, travellers will no longer need to have their British passport stamped.

EES will register the entry and exit of third-country nationals crossing external EU borders. Like ETIAS, EES will improve border management.

So ( Mazzer ) once this system is active, the info for entry/leaving will be recorded wether a passport is stamped or not.

Fair enough but at present it is very much an ad hoc system depending on where you enter the EU and from where quite often entering in through Cherbourg from Ireland will not result in a stamp