Driving in France

I would be grateful if any of our French correspondants could provide me with the French government website which details requirements for transiting the country from UK to Spain and vice versa.I understand French.Many thanks.

Bit late at night for me, but try this as start points
service-public.fr/particuli … its/F35249
gr.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-vous … aut-savoir

service-public.fr/particuli … roits/N105

Thanks Franglais.I’m trying to avoid a fine which may pay off the French national debt.Last time I had to complete an attestation and have a covid free test within 72 hours.I believe now there’s an overnight curfew but there are hopefully exceptions to this rule as i like to drive overnight.

Which way you heading?
Ferry company ex U.K. may well check your papers before handing over your ticket, as they could be liable for landing illegals. They have been checking freight drivers for customs and covid papers where necessary.
If you’re running main roads there have been spot checks on peage and roundabouts.
Same as here the rules keep changing.
Fair few French “tourists” on road today, and some UK cars on ferries but I don’t know their reasons for traveling.
Roads are very quiet after 19hr00. Long distance night travel is allowed but you will stick out. More relaxed during the day, and nowhere near summer crowded.

Try a PM to Owen Money?
If he’s not rushed off his feet (working more than 2 days this week) he may know more than me.
No.
He’ll definitely know more than me.
[emoji3]

I cannot find a definitive answer Gidders. It a changing situation.

As of today, May 3 the 10 km limit is lifted, allowing travel throughout France. The 19.00 curfew is still in place.

However… Will you be allowed onto a ferry leaving the UK ? International travel is banned till May 17th.
If you are, will you need negative Covid tests ?
I have read about controls in border area’s - especially as the French holiday season has started and tourist’s were going into
Spain and Andorra. - Fines issued and turned around.
I imagine you have a UK plated car and that will stick out. I suppose if you have Spanish residency cards it might help but i
have looked around and cannot find a definitive answer.

Franglais - Last week . 2 Days ADR renewal and load one tanker - Total 16.30 hours.
This week all the tankers are in Spain or Belgium so i’m hoping for another quiet week.

16 and 'alf hours?
That’s a whole day!

Franglais:
16 and 'alf hours?
That’s a whole day!

At my age one has to take it steady. I’m thinking of taking early retirement this year but how would i tell the difference.

thelocal.fr/20210503/who-ca … wy5uLrf7bm

Thanks for your help,guys.
It seems I may be better off waiting a while yet before making any plans.
If I land after the 7pm curfew and continue to my destination near Alicante,would that be viewed as extracting the urine,do you think?
I usually travel via Dieppe or Caen but if the French checks for the tunnel are in England maybe I would be better having a problem there than on French soil.
Plenty to consider.Thanks again.

Is there any reason why you can’t use the Portsmouth - Santander ferry?

Grumpy_old_trucker:
Is there any reason why you can’t use the Portsmouth - Santander ferry?

Far too expensive.I can do a round trip through France for less than half the cost of that ferry.
Plus I enjoy a bit of proper driving rather than the congestion nightmare that is modern Britain.
I can drive off a ferry in Dieppe and tell you within 30 mins.my arrival time near Alicante.I couldn’t be that accurate for the 20 mile trip from here to Leeds.

thelocal.fr/20210507/how-fr … is-summer/

The curfew rules do have an exception for travel – but only certain types. If you are travelling by public transport – train, bus, plane – and it arrives after curfew time then that is allowed and you are fine to travel onwards to your final destination from the station/airport.

However you will need an attestation and you will also need to keep your tickets in case of a police check.

If you are travelling by car then there is no curfew exemption and you will have to either time your journey to arrive before curfew, or stop off overnight and complete your journey in the morning.
May 19th – curfew moves from 7pm to 9pm, so restrictions on movements will be in place from 9pm to 6am.
June 9th – curfew moves back again to 11pm-6am.
June 30th – curfew is scrapped altogether.

Thanks for the info Owen money. It’s an easy drive from any channel port to either Hendaye or Somport between 0600 and 2300 in a car without breaking any speed limits.