Visiting foreign drivers to the UK

Can someone tell Ben Shephard and Andrew Pierce who are on Good Morning Britain that lorry drivers live and work in solitary conditions and have reduced contact with anyone in the spread of COVID 19 .
They both keep harping on about that foreign drivers should be tested and if a positive test shows up , they have to self isolate, they are not aware how you could self isolate alone in the cab as the driver would be unable to buy food and drink or use public toilets while self isolating , with the vast distance some drivers do, you can’t just nip back home to Turkey or Russia to go home .
Or even park up for two weeks with a high value load to miss your unload booking time and lose the collection booked load home to Europe.
They both said action was needed today but the Government minister on this morning said they wouldn’t take action for a week or more to give warning of their intended action, while on the BBC I heard an expert on about a £1000 fine if a driver leaves the cab but missed the reason for this ?

Tarmaceater:
Can someone tell Ben Shephard and Andrew Pierce who are on Good Morning Britain that lorry drivers live and work in solitary conditions and have reduced contact with anyone in the spread of COVID 19 .
They both keep harping on about that foreign drivers should be tested and if a positive test shows up , they have to self isolate, they are not aware how you could self isolate alone in the cab as the driver would be unable to buy food and drink or use public toilets while self isolating , with the vast distance some drivers do, you can’t just nip back home to Turkey or Russia to go home .
Or even park up for two weeks with a high value load to miss your unload booking time and lose the collection booked load home to Europe.
They both said action was needed today but the Government minister on this morning said they wouldn’t take action for a week or more to give warning of their intended action, while on the BBC I heard an expert on about a £1000 fine if a driver leaves the cab but missed the reason for this ?

Isolation for foreigners would likely be in one of those hotels designated for such.
I can’t see “cabbing it” being possible nor allowed.
The driver or his employer would get the bill of course. No free holiday!

Thanks for your reply, I think the hotels charge about £1700 for the time needed for isolation but you do get three meals a day and a security guard to ■■■■■■ you out for a ■■■, the windows are locked so no escape.

Tarmaceater:
Thanks for your reply, I think the hotels charge about £1700 for the time needed for isolation but you do get three meals a day and a security guard to ■■■■■■ you out for a ■■■, the windows are locked so no escape.

Wonder? Would the driver still get his night out money? Or the sack for getting the bug?

From April 6-
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said on Sunday that hauliers arriving in England from abroad for more than two days would need to take regular Covid tests amid fears over new variants as cases spiral in Europe.

Truck drivers are exempt from quarantine rules to allow them to come in and out of the UK with vital supplies, alongside other key workers such as airline pilots and international rail crew.

But under the new rules, truckers spending more than two days in the UK must get tested within 48 hours and then every three days afterwards - typically on days 5 and 8.
Those travelling from Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man - known as the Common Travel Area (CTA) - do not need to be tested unless they have been outside those areas in the 10 days before arriving in England.

Separately, drivers will now be required to self-isolate in their cabs during their time in England, leaving only to buy food, use a toilet, do limited exercise, or get a COVID-19 test.

Mr Shapps said: “This is to ensure we keep track of any future Coronavirus Variants of Concern.”

Lorry drivers who fail to self-isolate in their cabs face fines of up to £1,000, while failure to provide proof of a negative Covid test carries a £2,000 fine.

Franglais:

Tarmaceater:

Isolation for foreigners would likely be in one of those hotels designated for such.
I can’t see “cabbing it” being possible nor allowed.
The driver or his employer would get the bill of course. No free holiday!

Irony would be a lorry driver isolating in his truck for x number of days and then getting done for having a full break in his lorry!

Or another scenario is getting really ill alone in your cab and you are parked in the middle of nowhere.

A further scenario , being parked up by the authorities, somewhere in Kent and finding at the end of the 10 days,
a multitude of clamps,
one for each fexking wheel :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If I got every wheel clamped , by Kent’s ■■■■ Turpin highway robbery unit, I would tell them to keep the truck but make sure it was the stinkiest load of weeping and rotten dead sheep skins with all the salt and blood oozing out the trailer and mix that load with some casualty livestock or dead farm animals that bloat up with bacterial gasses and may explode in hot weather.
And add some hospital waste with amputated limbs .

Tarmaceater:

I’m wasting time in Radisson Blu in Bodø at the moment, on my seventh day I take a second test and can return to my job then. Paying about 400€ for the privilege (50 per night, 8 nights), three meals a day where the quantity is greater than quality, but all in all not the worst of circumstances. Rest of the bill is covered by the state, they even called me from Oslo today and enquired how it was going. Drivers do not have to go through this.