French Blind Spot Sticker Fines

I just heard about this and thought it was a windup until I googled it and the following came up on Transinfo.

As of January 1st 2021, all heavy vehicles in France (both goods and passenger transport vehicles) must be fitted with a sign to inform others about their vehicle’s blind spots. Failure to comply with this obligation may result in a 4th class fine which is usually 136 euros but in a worst-case scenario, it can be as much as 750 euros. The French government has published details on where to stick the signs on the vehicle.
Although, the new regulation already applies from January 1st, clarification of the law was only published two days ago, on 6 January.trans.info/en/france-to-require … rds-210732

I didn’t notice any of the locals wearing these stickers this week but maybe I’m not very observant.

Anyone here have them already or even know where to source them?

Will the EU block it if that’s the message in the article?

see next post

trm24.fr/les-poids-lourds-doive … les-morts/

securite-routiere.gouv.fr/a … erialisant

Dans quel délai ?
Les véhicules lourds doivent être équipés immédiatement. Pendant une période transitoire de 12 mois, les véhicules ayant été équipés sur les côtés et à l’arrière d’un dispositif destiné à matérialiser la présence des angles morts seront réputés satisfaire aux dispositions de l’arrêté même si ce dispositif n’est pas strictement conforme au modèle.

À noter : les véhicules lourds étrangers circulant sur le sol Français sont également soumis à cette obligation.

So you have 12 months to get it sorted - nasty stickers on your nice paintwork - Obligatory for all foreign trucks too .
As if the idiots who cant see the nun kitten killing machine will take any notice of stickers…
Still, it will be a chance for contributions to the Gendarmes Christmas fund in due course.

SiTra trialled this idea on many of their vehicles in France and Belgium and it certainly stood out, but if every vehicle has them will it just blend into the scenery?

It would not surprise me for the French to start tightening up on RHD headlamp deflectors, Fresnel Lens and Right Handed Drivers.

Its not beyond the laws of the EU to ban RHD vehicles from their own road networks!

They’re putting them on all our tractors and trailers,
funny thing is that they are actually putting them on the drivers side aswell :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
On the cab and on the trailer , we have pointy 2hats here too :laughing: :laughing:

Drivers side ■■ A blind spot ■■?
Probably if he’s had a few aperitifs :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
SiTra trialled this idea on many of their vehicles in France and Belgium and it certainly stood out, but if every vehicle has them will it just blend into the scenery?

It would not surprise me for the French to start tightening up on RHD headlamp deflectors, Fresnel Lens and Right Handed Drivers.

Its not beyond the laws of the EU to ban RHD vehicles from their own road networks!

What about ROI, Malta and Cyprus?

RHD will need them on both sides, one for where the blindspot really is and one for where the less bright Gendarmes think it is.

acd1202:
What about ROI, Malta and Cyprus?

RHD will need them on both sides, one for where the blindspot really is and one for where the less bright Gendarmes think it is.

ROI or indeed NI, Malta and Cyprus are all also foreign to France, so will be required to have these stickers.

On both sides for all RHD vehicles is a good point :smiling_imp:

6 stickers for the average artic combo.
Different for drawbars , car transport , containers and others.
Also they have to be fitted within a certain area , not just slapped on.
I don’t know where they are being sold or the cost of them .Another earner like the alcotest fiasco.
As per there is a petition against them which had over 5,000 signatures last time I looked.
They seem to be readily available judging by the number I am seeing , including my own usually useless company.

So does the below mean that if you have cameras on the sides and back you wont need the stickers for another 12 months ?

Heavy vehicles must be equipped immediately. During a transitional period of 12 months, vehicles equipped on the sides and at the rear with a device intended to materialize the presence of blind spots will be deemed to comply with the provisions of the order even if this device is not strictly in accordance with the model.

This is a translated page of the rules as the Dutch Transport group TLN.

No French blindspot sticker, no fine for first 3 months

AFTRI is Transport and Logistics Netherlands’s (TLN) French counterpart. It’s confirmed that haulers won’t be fined for missing blind spot stickers. But only for the first three months of 2021. During this grace period, carriers will, at most, be made aware of the sticker’s absence. No fines will be issued, reports AFTRI.

TLN had already requested that the European Commission postpone this obligation until further notice. The measure is unclear, unworkable, and seems illegal. TLN, along with the IRU, had raised this issue with the EC, but to no avail. The Dutch Government has also been informed of this new legislation. To comply with French laws, trucking companies have to display these stickers on their vehicles in all kinds of creative ways. The European Commission has yet to give its opinion on the measure. Until further notice, this legislation is compulsory for all carriers driving to France.

Not clear
A legal article was published this month. It contains nothing about the ‘urban areas’ where this compulsory sticker is needed. That was, however, stated in the information published last year. It said carriers would be exempt if they were merely driving through, not around in, an urban area. TLN has asked the French authorities for clarification on this point. The organization will communicate this as soon as they know more.

Grace period
Now, a decree has been published. It explains the following. If a vehicle’s blind spots have been marked before 31 March 2021, but the stickers used don’t comply with French dimensions or aren’t at the correct height, a 12-month grace period still applies.

Practical information
You can find information (in Dutch) on this page. It’s about the French blindspot stickers’ size and color. TLN’s international messaging service has an unofficial translation. That’s of the leaflet drawn up by the FNTR, a French road haulage association. It contains the exact location of where the sticker is to be affixed. It includes additional information on how certain carriers can still comply with the sticker requirement.

Adhesion
According to French authorities, Tautliners, for example, must laminate these stickers and use strong glue. It must be weather and water-resistant. The stickers can’t remain on dirty or dusty silicone tarpaulins. The glue will adhere to the fabric instead of the tarpaulin. The same applies to damaged or uneven (woven or dented) tarpaulins. The glue then doesn’t stick well. Other possibilities are paints or coating. Regularly (un)folding the tarpaulin can affect the stickers’ durability.

Follow-up
Traffic safety is paramount. But, TLN isn’t in favor of this French measure. The obligation to place blindspot stickers is unworkable and unrealistic for many hauliers. TLN also wonders whether this demand from French authorities conflicts with European legislation and regulations. According to an EU regulation, vehicles complying with the European Type Approval (ETG) are authorized in every European Member State. Nothing further is required.

Source: TLN

Publication date: Mon 11 Jan 2021

There has been a major study between Loughborough University and MIRA about the problems of blind spots on lorries and buses.

GRSG-100-26
(100th GRSG, 11-15 April 2011 opens as a PDF

We have magnetic ones for the cab and permanent ones on the trailers

Mazzer2:
We have magnetic ones for the cab and permanent ones on the trailers

I like that idea :smiley:

I’ve seen an inspiring little sticker on the back of some German trucks.
I’m not totally certain of the German phrase used, but I think it’s,
Totelich Blinker Anlage!, which translates to Deadly Winker System!

I like it, short and to the point :smiley: