Ferry crossing and driving/rest hours

Gents, forgive me if it’s a stupid question but my transport manager has just confused the hell out of me. I have a ferry tomorrow from Poland to Sweden. The ferry departs at 1300 and is due to arrive at 2015. I will arrive at the port at approx 1030 and will put my tacho straight onto the Ferry setting. I will board the ferry and say that will take 20 minutes, getting off the ferry probably another 20 minutes.
Am I correct in saying that I should then go and park up until 2130 to give me my 11 hour daily rest or should I park up until 2130 + the 40 minutes for me moving to get on and off the ferry?
Thanks for any advice.

Arrive at port , get ticket etc and park up, lets say 10.45. Put it on break.
Start to move to board at 12.15, that gives you 1hr30 break so far. :::::::::::::1.30
On board put it back to break and switch to ferry mode, now 12.30.
Called back to vehicle on arrival start to move at 20.30, another 8 hrs.:::::::::::8.00

You’ve done 9hrs30 so far, so now you have to go park up in the port and put it on break for another 1hr30.

Don’t forget you are allowed only 2 movements within that eleven hour period and it must not be more than one hour. Your first movement was 15 minutes, so if it isn’t possible to park up in the port, you have maximum of 45 minutes to go find somewhere to park up.

Not a stupid question mate, it is better to ask, rather than not know and get a fine if stopped by the traffic police .
I also get confused by ferry and rest times.
Conflicting and different interpretations from different people adds to the confusion.
For example the two movement rules, you arrive at the port prior to getting on the ferry.

In this time, you could move five times, marshal staff ask you to move, or in wrong lane, move again.
Move to ferry entrance, told to stop to let a wide load on.
Same for arrival at destination port, customs park you up, move here, move there, move again to get a fax from the freight office.

barrykam:
Gents, forgive me if it’s a stupid question but my transport manager has just confused the hell out of me. I have a ferry tomorrow from Poland to Sweden. The ferry departs at 1300 and is due to arrive at 2015. I will arrive at the port at approx 1030 and will put my tacho straight onto the Ferry setting. I will board the ferry and say that will take 20 minutes, getting off the ferry probably another 20 minutes.
Am I correct in saying that I should then go and park up until 2130 to give me my 11 hour daily rest or should I park up until 2130 + the 40 minutes for me moving to get on and off the ferry?
Thanks for any advice.

The part I’ve coloured blue is the correct answer :wink:

You must have 11 hours rest on top of the movements onto and off the ferry, so if you start the daily rest period when you reach the port at 10:30 and spend a total of 40 minutes getting on and off the ferry you will can’t start the next shift until 22:10.

In other words the interruptions to the daily rest period cannot be counted as part of the daily rest period.

Toby, the 2 movement rule is from the end of one rest period to the start of the next, which will be all that you have said, move along the queue, moved by port staff, drive on to ferry. Then on arrival drive off ferry, move to customs, then move to your next break. As long as these 2 events don’t exceed 1 hour there’s no problem.

toby1234abc:
Not a stupid question mate, it is better to ask, rather than not know and get a fine if stopped by the traffic police .
I also get confused by ferry and rest times.
Conflicting and different interpretations from different people adds to the confusion.
For example the two movement rules, you arrive at the port prior to getting on the ferry.

In this time, you could move five times, marshal staff ask you to move, or in wrong lane, move again.
Move to ferry entrance, told to stop to let a wide load on.
Same for arrival at destination port, customs park you up, move here, move there, move again to get a fax from the freight office.

It’s not two movements it’s two interruptions to the daily rest period.

When travelling by ferry or train you can interrupt the daily rest period twice as long as the total interruptions do not exceed 1 hour, an interruption to the daily rest period can involve driving and/or other work, an interruption to the daily rest period is the time between coming off rest until the time you go back onto rest.

Is there an echo in the room :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Am I correct in saying that the ferry ‘mode’ should be done just before each of the two movements :question:

ROG:
Am I correct in saying that the ferry ‘mode’ should be done just before each of the two movements :question:

I always book off when stopped at port. As Rog says, I select ferry move when about to move, then select rest again when stationary on the deck, or whatever. Same for 2nd move if necessary. Had no issues with this. It`s a 2year old Stoneridge tacho, and it gives a countdown of available movement time from 60mins.

ROG:

I’ve only ever put it on “Ferry Mode” when putting it on break actually on the vessel, never in the ports.

I’d suggest the chance of interrupting the daily rest for only 30 minutes at either port is minimal. And that is speaking from experience. It’s a pretty safe bet you will interrupt the daily rest just once, when getting of the ferry in Sweden. Otherwise the two interruptions will be more than one hour in total.

Or maybe just call it a day at the port of arrival for an early morning start?

milodon:
I’d suggest the chance of interrupting the daily rest for only 30 minutes at either port is minimal. And that is speaking from experience. It’s a pretty safe bet you will interrupt the daily rest just once, when getting of the ferry in Sweden. Otherwise the two interruptions will be more than one hour in total.

Or maybe just call it a day at the port of arrival for an early morning start?

Ive no experience of the Polish or Swedish ports, but youre certainly right it`s good to have a “Plan B” is case the movements go over an hour total.

Depending on what else is involved of course:
IF you can get to the port of departure by 08-15 and book off, you`ll be clear to run at 20-15 allowing up to one hour movement embarking.
IF you delay booking off until you stop on the ferry (say 13-00) you have a full 60 minutes to debarque and park. Clear again at 01-00.

Thanks for all the answers, I feel a little better about it. To be on the safe side I will add the movement time onto my 11 hours rest time. I should be OK for a 0700 drop at Volvo factory in Skovde to keep all you Volvo drivers supplied in engine parts.
Cheers gents. :wink:

Also remember that the 11 hours rest + 1 hour movements must occur within 24 hours of starting your previous shift

If starting at midnight, you’ll still have eons to make the 07.00 appointment from either Trelleborg or Karlshamn (can’t be bothered to look up where the 13.00 ferry ends up) and a good chance of a reload since you’ll be able to work until 3pm.

milodon:
If starting at midnight, you’ll still have eons to make the 07.00 appointment from either Trelleborg or Karlshamn (can’t be bothered to look up where the 13.00 ferry ends up) and a good chance of a reload since you’ll be able to work until 3pm.

Ferry is Swinoujscie to Ystad.

No disrespect to any of you but as there still seems to be conflicting answers I did abit of digging and found the following which rings a bell as to what I was taught:

i. The daily rest period may be interrupted, but only twice, allowing the vehicle to be driven on to a ferry and off at the end of the sea crossing. However, this will depend on the length of the ferry crossing
ii. Any interruption in rest must be as short as possible and must exceed no more than 1 hour
iii. Where the rest period is interrupted in this way, the total accumulated rest period must still be 11 hours.
iv. During the rest period, the driver(s) must have access to a bunk or couchette
v. Time spent on a ferryboat or train which is not treated as daily rest can be treated as a break

I wonder if the legislators in the glorious EU, who made the rules up, have ever considered any of the myriad combinations and definitions of their edicts? This whole thing is so convoluted and open to independent interpretation, understanding, misunderstanding and possible, innocent infringement, it is a joke.

barrykam:
No disrespect to any of you but as there still seems to be conflicting answers I did abit of digging and found the following which rings a bell as to what I was taught:

i. The daily rest period may be interrupted, but only twice, allowing the vehicle to be driven on to a ferry and off at the end of the sea crossing. However, this will depend on the length of the ferry crossing
ii. Any interruption in rest must be as short as possible and must exceed no more than 1 hour
iii. Where the rest period is interrupted in this way, the total accumulated rest period must still be 11 hours.
iv. During the rest period, the driver(s) must have access to a bunk or couchette
v. Time spent on a ferryboat or train which is not treated as daily rest can be treated as a break

Can’t see how you are confused ■■

pierrot 14:
Arrive at port , get ticket etc and park up, lets say 10.45. Put it on break.
Start to move to board at 12.15, that gives you 1hr30 break so far. :::::::::::::1.30
On board put it back to break and switch to ferry mode, now 12.30.
Called back to vehicle on arrival start to move at 20.30, another 8 hrs.:::::::::::8.00

You’ve done 9hrs30 so far, so now you have to go park up in the port and put it on break for another 1hr30.

Don’t forget you are allowed only 2 movements within that eleven hour period and it must not be more than one hour. Your first movement was 15 minutes, so if it isn’t possible to park up in the port, you have maximum of 45 minutes to go find somewhere to park up.

tachograph:

barrykam:
Thanks for any advice.

The part I’ve coloured blue is the correct answer :wink:

You must have 11 hours rest on top of the movements onto and off the ferry, so if you start the daily rest period when you reach the port at 10:30 and spend a total of 40 minutes getting on and off the ferry you will can’t start the next shift until 22:10.

In other words the interruptions to the daily rest period cannot be counted as part of the daily rest period.

Pirrott, sorry. Having re-read your reply + the reply from tachograph they both make sense now. Apologise but new job tomorrow and like I said the Transport Manager today confused the hell out of me and the more I thought about it the more I confused myself. Again, thanks for all the replies.