BRIDGE STRIKES.

Why is it always the driver who always gets it,transport managers , local councils , driver agency,s and,company,s all have responsibilities to ensure our safety . Just a simple few safety checks could avoid bridge strikes. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

In this day and age there must be a few simple safety devices out there to stop this happening…sensor,s lights ,signs,bridge marked on the road .yet it,s been happening for years with no real progress. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Why don,t councils put up led sign,s that flash bridge …this would be a start.

…because the driver is behind the wheel.
It’s all about personal responsibility.
If you’re looking for justification for bridge striking I think you’re well wide of the mark.
We’re all human and occasionally things do go wrong but seeking to blame others for our own misgivings is sheer folly.

It’s driver inattention,period.

I constantly come across lower-than-me bridge signs,and I constantly divert.

What’s the problem? DRIVERS!!!

Revoke these bridge-striker licences.

maestegboy:
Just a simple few safety checks could avoid bridge strikes. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

simple steps like planning your route, or double checking it if someone else has planned it, knowing the height of your vehicle and paying attention to the clear signs telling you the height of the bridge

:unamused:

maestegboy:
Why is it always the driver who always gets it,transport managers , local councils , driver agency,s and,company,s all have responsibilities to ensure our safety . Just a simple few safety checks could avoid bridge strikes. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

In this day and age there must be a few simple safety devices out there to stop this happening…sensor,s lights ,signs,bridge marked on the road .yet it,s been happening for years with no real progress. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Why don,t councils put up led sign,s that flash bridge …this would be a start.

Those chains before bridge on 619(is that right)between Worksop and m1 always struck me as a cheap ,easy way to warn you that your over height.

Eyes.

206doorman:
It’s driver inattention,period.

I constantly come across lower-than-me bridge signs,and I constantly divert.

What’s the problem? DRIVERS!!!

Revoke these bridge-striker licences.

Do you mind not blaming the drivers please :unamused:,

Remember every time there’s a nasty rear end shunt, which are a pretty frequent occurrence and someone mentions driver inattention some ‘blind’ ■■■■ who doesn’t like to see the fairly obvious comes on and states it could be anything.

I await with baited breath to see the accident report stating it was the bridge that sank and the driver was nowt but an innocent victim m’lud,

It’s about time some on here accepted a bit of personal responsability for their actions.

This and all the other negligent incompetent irresponsible carnage the steering wheel attendants manage on a daily basis won’t ever stop…until such time as a vocational licence holders accident record is permanetly attached to their licence.

Be a shortage of drivers then, and plenty of unemployables.

I went down the old a46 from nwk down to Bingham was just about to come of last r/o to go down under old bridge before saxondale r/o when I suddenly remembered I was pulling the double decker :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ,it was once in a blue moon I pulled it and I just had brain failure,I went back round r/o and down through Bingham onto a52.
I didn’t risk it again and always went to derby via 617,m1,to me that where a lot of bridge strikes happen,a unfamiliar trailer,if you pull the same height all the time ,day after day it’s easy to forget you’ve got a double decker that day,shouldn’t happen but it does

If you dont see signs telling you how high the bridge what use would other things be?

The bridge on the A30 near Bodmin used to get hit and that has signs, flashing warnings the lot.

FarnboroughBoy11:
Eyes.

dont need eyes to see :open_mouth: you need vision! :sunglasses:

nickyboy:
If you dont see signs telling you how high the bridge what use would other things be?

The bridge on the A30 near Bodmin used to get hit and that has signs, flashing warnings the lot.

That’s the point of the chains :exclamation: :exclamation: the noise would alert you to the fact your not going to get under the bridge,if you then hit it,we’ll

Juddian:
This and all the other negligent incompetent irresponsible carnage the steering wheel attendants manage on a daily basis won’t ever stop…until such time as a vocational licence holders accident record is permanetly attached to their licence.

As long as you learn by your mistakes(accidents) I really can’t see a problem,it only becommes a problem I.m.o.h.o if you continue to make the same mistake over and over again,I’ve not had a accident with my present company,5 ish years,but a lot of that is I’ve learnt from mistakes I’ve made in the past

Simple. No your trailer height, your the driver, if you don’t know your running height you shouldn’t be in the job.

We all make mistakes from time to time, and when we do grow a pair hold your hands up and accept responsibility for your mistake, don’t blame the office staff or technology.

dozy:

Juddian:

As long as you learn by your mistakes(accidents) I really can’t see a problem,it only becommes a problem I.m.o.h.o if you continue to make the same mistake over and over again,I’ve not had a accident with my present company,5 ish years,but a lot of that is I’ve learnt from mistakes I’ve made in the past

So its ok for each us to have one bridge strike then but no more?.. :wink:

Thereal-john:
Simple. No your trailer height, your the driver, if you don’t know your running height you shouldn’t be in the job.

We all make mistakes from time to time, and when we do grow a pair hold your hands up and accept responsibility for your mistake, don’t blame the office staff or technology.

i can’t see that that many bridge strikes are caused by not know the running height, i would’ve thought most are the lapse in concentration type

speedyguy:
Do you mind not blaming the drivers please :unamused:,

Golly gosh…what was I thinking? Awfully sorry old chap :open_mouth:

Reminds me: London somewhere, in search of an address, found myself at a T junction, left was a 6ft6
restriction,right was a 12ft6 bridge,both visible! Had to reverse 700yds back past cars both sides with
a couple of inches clearence…Fairly sure signs were missing! :blush:

stevieboy308:

Thereal-john:

i can’t see that that many bridge strikes are caused by not know the running height, i would’ve thought most are the lapse in concentration type

That’s why I put we all make mistakes

Juddian:

And there but for the grace of God…

This is what makes me laugh on this forum in one breath you have people saying we are treated like idiots and with no respect then you get people saying we should have help with low bridges.
Yes ■■■■ happens I’ve dropped clangers over the years as I’m sure we all have. But do most of us need treating like five year olds all the time.
I know the likes of tesco give planed routes with double deckers what more can they do.
I asked a question on here a while back is lorrys hitting bridges and getting stuck in places worse than in the past or is it the fact we nealy all have camera phones and with social media a picture taken of a stuck lorry now can be on here and Facebook and local news sites within minutes