Southampton container terminal

I’m sorry if this question has been asked a million times but…I’m going into Southampton on Tuesday to collect a box, I have sat the assessment and got my certificate but could anyone please simplify the procedure for me, on what to do when I get there?

If it helps, I need 204-206 berths

Many thanks.

First off…

Don’t sweat it. Container ports are designed to facilitate newcomers. I did containers for many years and every time I went to a new terminal I found the systems easy enough to learn. Liverpool is different to Felixstowe, which is different to Freightliner Manchester, which is different to Tilbury and so forth.

There are some Southampton box jockey regs on here, I’m confident providing they don’t spend the entire weekend drinking beer and chilling out in the garden, they’ll put you right on here.

Just the one golden rule at Southampton, get out of the cab when the box is being dropped.

Here’s simple guide , 1st have you got a VBS and what time is it and where you coming from ?
Aim to be at start of the VBS slot , drive over bridge and come in dock gate 20 turn left and pregate is 100yards on the left , turn left but watch out for muppets exiting pregate , YOU HAVE RIGHT OF WAY ! ,
Pull up to either key pad
1st screen press yes I have done DP world cert , Next enter reg number , next enter VBS number , then it will give you your box number to check , press yes and it will ask if you’ve got no export containers press yes
Next screen will tell you which area you want either 3 or 1 , press enter , drive round @10mph to exit lanes
3 is LH , centre is either , 1 is RH , if you go in this lane avoid the concrete man hole as there’s quite a high edge on it
When barrier raises drive to key pad enter reg and wait for screen to tell you your area again
Exit go straight over and turn right for area 1 or straight over for area 3 there are sign posts for both 30mph port limit all road traffic laws apply aceapt for cyclist
When you drive in to entry lane for either area they may be doing spot checks so if directed pull in be polite their human as well and are quick
Pull up to barrier ANPR should pick reg up and put up on screen , but do check as it does get it wrong , press enter then it will either tell you a slot number (area3 ) which you key in and press enter or (area 1) proceed to slot allocation point
Area 3 slots 1/14 go straight ahead 22/45 turn left
Area 1 keep right there’s 2 key pads 50 yards up , then as area 3 enter reg then re enter slot number , slot 51 you may have to blind side as it’s in a corner
Back in allocated slot wait for straddler when it comes stand in front of truck where he can see you and when box is put on trailer ok give a thumbs up
Drive to seal,check area do twist locks up go in to cabin and enter reg and seal number if all ok screen will say trip ended proceed to exit if not look by cabin door there speaker phone for VBS control
When exiting trough last gate if it don’t open wait for border force to see you
HEADS UP 90% box jockies in Southampton are grade Zb drivers even some of the bigger companies

yourhavingalarf:
First off…

Don’t sweat it. Container ports are designed to facilitate newcomers. I did containers for many years and every time I went to a new terminal I found the systems easy enough to learn. Liverpool is different to Felixstowe, which is different to Freightliner Manchester, which is different to Tilbury and so forth.

There are some Southampton box jockey regs on here, I’m confident providing they don’t spend the entire weekend drinking beer and chilling out in the garden, they’ll put you right on here.

Just the one golden rule at Southampton, get out of the cab when the box is being dropped.

If you don’t the straddler drive just keeps his hand on his horn till you do

Make sure the straddle carrier driver puts the box on the skelly the right way round, i.e. doors to the rear. They normally do but they have got it wrong once with me which led to lots of gesticulating etc.

Harry Monk:
Make sure the straddle carrier driver puts the box on the skelly the right way round, i.e. doors to the rear. They normally do but they have got it wrong once with me which led to lots of gesticulating etc.

Looking like you were dancing to the Time warp

Years since I had the joy of going in here. You mentioned areas 1 & 3, what’s happened to area 2?

mikeshe:
Years since I had the joy of going in here. You mentioned areas 1 & 3, what’s happened to area 2?

Still there entered through area 1

robthedog:

mikeshe:

Like it was then. Didn’t they make changes to the empty park?

mikeshe:

robthedog:

mikeshe:

Yep it’s now empty park 1 and empty park 2 is by area 3

blue estate:

mikeshe:

robthedog:

mikeshe:

Yep it’s now empty park 1 and empty park 2 is by area 3

Depends how long ago since you’ve been as the empty parks are now where the old area 3 was and area 3 is where the car terminal was (Richard Lawson) that was a while ago mind

[quote=“robthedog”

Depends how long ago since you’ve been as the empty parks are now where the old area 3 was and area 3 is where the car terminal was (Richard Lawson) that was a while ago mind[/quote]
Thanks for that, my last time in there was before any of those changes!

area 2 went last year, they’ve made area 1 bigger, has 50 slots now compared to 30odd before

they in process of making area 3 bigger now too, have added 14 slots to the right, which are going to go straight through the current seal check area soon in one straight line, no idea where the seal check is moving too.

PA22:
area 2 went last year, they’ve made area 1 bigger, has 50 slots now compared to 30odd before

they in process of making area 3 bigger now too, have added 14 slots to the right, which are going to go straight through the current seal check area soon in one straight line, no idea where the seal check is moving too.

I don’t think DP World have any idea either :laughing: