Oxford street london

How do you get there, on a night without getting a fine. In a arctic, need to face west

Lost of roads have restrictions between 9pm and 7 am. Oxford road is a main road so may not be restrictions there.
Personally id ask the office to find out . Or worst case try looking on tfl website they might help.
If there’s no way to get there avoiding the restrictions they you need to apply to tfl for a permit to allow you acces and will no doubt come at a cost.

crush99:
How do you get there, on a night without getting a fine. In a arctic, need to face west

Ask your firm for a route. If you go down a wrong road the fine is £550 for the firm £130 for the driver.

The vehicle will need to be Direct Vision Standard Compliant as well.

WTF is direct vision compliant? I’ve been out of the country too long to know about this crap.

peterm:
WTF is direct vision compliant? I’ve been out of the country too long to know about this crap.

This
tfl.gov.uk/info-for/deliveries- … s-vehicles

Direct Vision Compliant, cant work out, route in, looks a right sod soon as i see a route in its a no left turn etc.

Where do you need to be on Oxford St? Like how far along?

crush99:
Direct Vision Compliant, cant work out, route in, looks a right sod soon as i see a route in its a no left turn etc.

None of this is your problem as a driver… unless of course you choose to ignore the legal obligations for delivering in London; it is the operator’s responsibility to sort all of this out in advance. They must contact TfL regarding Direct Vision Compliance and also ask for a route to the delivery address which should be given to the driver to follow if the delivery is to take place in proscribed hours.

This is what your transport manager is paid to know, it is his job. Without this in place the delivery doesn’t happen. Be aware that all of this is enforced by CCTV.

They of course have the option to give the job away to an operator who knows what they are doing.

Edit add:

Is the delivery point actually in Oxford Street or is that just where the postman takes the mail?

cav551:

crush99:

None of this is your problem as a driver… unless of course you choose to ignore the legal obligations for delivering in London; it is the operator’s responsibility to sort all of this out in advance. They must contact TfL regarding Direct Vision Compliance and also ask for a route to the delivery address which should be given to the driver to follow if the delivery is to take place in proscribed hours.

This is what your transport manager is paid to know, it is his job. Without this in place the delivery doesn’t happen. Be aware that all of this is enforced by CCTV.

They of course have the option to give the job away to an operator who knows what they are doing.

Edit add:

Is the delivery point actually in Oxford Street or is that just where the postman takes the mail?

^^^ + 1
It never seems to amaze me that the last person in the query trail is/are the planner of the company sending the truck into a situation where the driver isnt too clued up on, they should be giving precise instructions every-time~~ ~~I was talking to a driver yesterday who had been given very very sparse reload instructions, and was fretting about the address [if you could call it that] and which way to go ect.....I put him right, as Id had a driver go to the very same place the day before, but I also said that the office really should be your first port of call, to which he casually said they know even less :open_mouth: :cry:
Mind you, I had a driver jack after three shifts this week because our office was too hands on, and he didnt like being told how to do his job :unamused:~~ ~~Never mind that his addiction to a sat-nav from the air-fix range had him in various situations which was quite an eye-opener :blush:~~ ~~Not a child either, and definitely from the *you cant teach an old dog new tricks* generation :unamused:

As for London late at night leave it to office get a route off them.
But then again there probably just print directions off goggle or something.
But make it clear if any fines are incurred your not paying any and realistically if any fines are incurred they should be forwarded on factored into the job price

Not sticking up for office staff transport managers here.
But I doubt many have driven a truck
And doubt Any have even driven a car around London or any other parts of the country if honest.
As a professional driver you have to make descions yourself.
If your going someware awkward place never been before etc. How can you expect someone in an office who’s not there to direct you etc

edd1974:
But make it clear if any fines are incurred your not paying any and realistically if any fines are incurred they should be forwarded on factored into the job price

And doubt Any have even driven a car around London or any other parts of the country if honest.
If your going someware awkward place never been before etc. How can you expect someone in an office who’s not there to direct you etc

They should have the knowledge & the knowhow otherwise they should`nt be in the job, google earth is your friend at the very least IMO

No one lets a dishwasher run a Michelin star kitchen, so why do some put burger flippers in planning ■■?

edd1974:

Because it is their job. They sit in front of a computer monitor all day long with access to Google and a telephone beside their left hand.

Many years ago before sat navs, googles and cab phones I had a drop in Oxford Street.
No shop name, just the number - something like 339 Oxford Street, London :open_mouth:
I parked on Regent Street and set off on foot to find the shop, calling in here and
there to enquire the number until I found 339 or whatever it was. The shop was a
ladies boutique and the stuff I had was for the workmen on an upper floor.
Fortunately the foreman knew his way round so we both set off to find the lorry again
and he guided me in using a succession of back streets to avoid the restrictions
on Oxford Street, finally arriving at the back door of the shop.
I would never ever have managed this on my own, so thanks to that man!

Way back…

When delivering to London involved getting your AtoZ out and the penalties were a parking ticket, max. To call the office involved stopping and sticking money into a coin operated phone and talking to who ever. Obviously, they couldn’t call you straight back so the reality was, you had to organise these things yourself. Frequently plod would actually assist you by stopping traffic and letting you back out blindside etc.
With penalties today running at a large chunk of your days earnings for the slightest infraction and the likelihood of you being photographed with little to no leeway on appeal, delivering in London has become a nightmare for the novice (and to be fair, the old timers like myself who delivered in London years ago before red routes were a thing).

I’d be expecting my office to issue a route in and out before I left and any other assistance needed.

I’d still say bollox anyway.

fingermissing:

peterm:

This

Thanks.
I’m amazed that anyone would even think about going in to the craphouse that was my home town.
I read a paragraph of that link until my eyes glazed over. Lorry driving ain’t what it used to be!

peterm:

fingermissing:

peterm:

This

Thanks.
I’m amazed that anyone would even think about going in to the craphouse that was my home town.
I read a paragraph of that link until my eyes glazed over. Lorry driving ain’t what it used to be!

The Direct Vision Standard measures how much an HGV driver can see directly through their cab windows. This indicates the level of risk to vulnerable road users, such as people walking and cycling, near the vehicle.

So guess this Drivers not getting one if they apply then lol…
(why just why do they need so much stuff in windows ?)

cav551:
it is the operator’s responsibility to sort all of this out in advance. They must contact TfL regarding Direct Vision Compliance and also ask for a route to the delivery address which should be given to the driver to follow if the delivery is to take place in proscribed hours.

This is what your transport manager is paid to know, it is his job. Without this in place the delivery doesn’t happen.

Note the above thread on AI… :smiley:

AI, I have a delivery in an artic to No 99 Oxford St London W1D 1BN at 10 pm. Please provide a route and any other information my driver needs.

TonkaBoy. That’s the other end of ridiculous.