Bus hits bridge

Three in hospital after bus roof cut off in bridge crash

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- … t-65665113

I’m not being picky but in the attachment which is a screenshot from the linked article there’s two bridges in very close proximity, first one is 15ft 3in and shortly after that the second is 12ft 6in. I note there’s industrial units between the bridges so that’s probably why there’s not a blanket restriction on both at the lowest height

And it’s strange because normally bus diagrams are designed to only have certain buses on routes which can handle them - ie if there’s low bridges then it’s a job for a single decker. Not foolproof obviously but I wonder the circumstances of why it was there when clearly it shouldn’t have been. Driver obviously will carry the blame and quite rightly because its his/her final action that could’ve avoided it but for whatever reason didn’t.

I used to be a bus driver.I woyld never go back to it.Yoy hit a bridge in a truck,its a big deal but to hit a bridge in a bus,that would be my worse nightmare if people were injured .

Sploom:
I used to be a bus driver.I woyld never go back to it.Yoy hit a bridge in a truck,its a big deal but to hit a bridge in a bus,that would be my worse nightmare if people were injured .

Try being indirectly involved in a bus crash which ended up with a bus careering into the front of a supermarket and killing a young boy and old lady. That wasn’t nice to say the least.

Having said that bus driving I loved and hated it at the same time. I spent a lot or my time doing coaches so not ding ding work, but consequently when I did do locals it was a nice change.

maybe if they put more signs up , google.com/maps/@55.8509177 … 8192?hl=en, well maybe not :blush: :blush: :blush:

Two scenarios come to mind. It’s a route that normally gets a single-decker, or the driver was off his route.

Usually, when we read of these bus vs bridge incidents, it’s a school bus and the driver “forgot” that he had a DD. This happened mid-morning and the reports don’t say the casualties were children, so it looks like it was a service bus. In which case, whoever scheduled that bus, and the driver are both at fault.

I see that a typical single-decker is 12’6", so that might be pushing it a bit.

There are several low bridges in that area. In 1994 a double- decker bus carrying a group of girl guides back from a day trip hit a 10ft 6 bridge in West Street, a couple of hundred yards from there. Five people were killed - three young girls aged about 10, and two adult group leaders. The road was permanently closed afterwards: the bridge had been hit often.

Santa:
Two scenarios come to mind. It’s a route that normally gets a single-decker, or the driver was off his route.

Usually, when we read of these bus vs bridge incidents, it’s a school bus and the driver “forgot” that he had a DD. This happened mid-morning and the reports don’t say the casualties were children, so it looks like it was a service bus. In which case, whoever scheduled that bus, and the driver are both at fault.

Buses have been wider than 7’ 3" since the late 1920s, so no right to be on that section of road.

Shug:
There are several low bridges in that area. In 1994 a double- decker bus carrying a group of girl guides back from a day trip hit a 10ft 6 bridge in West Street, a couple of hundred yards from there. Five people were killed - three young girls aged about 10, and two adult group leaders. The road was permanently closed afterwards: the bridge had been hit often.

Shocked by this so did some googling. Shows the enormous differences between then and now in that the driver got fined £750 for killing 5 people and got off completely from another fatal accident around same time! thefreelibrary.com/Guide+cr … a061268202

Digby Brown will be busy

I think there was a “race for life” yesterday in the area and quite a few local roads were shut.
No excuse for missing all the signs though.

cav551:

Santa:

Buses have been wider than 7’ 3" since the late 1920s, so no right to be on that section of road.

Although the local bus route involves an 11 foot bridge so doubt the 12’6’'.

They never give out the name of the driver in these situations, which is surprising when it is surely an open and shut case for prosecution?
If the public don’t hear who’s done what wrong - then less people get to learn from the experience, and have to wait until any court outcome before they even knew who’d got done, etc. If one knew at the time “so and so got busted for hitting a bridge” - then if just ONE single person ended up not doing it, because they were double checking themselves - surely some good can come out of a change to a more “Name and Shame” policy here?

Also, one cannot spot patterns, and make “adjustments” to policy - if one lacks certain facts, such as “Was the driver fasting” which detracts from attention to one’s driving, or even “was the driver fully rested” and not forgetting “Does the driver understand imperial measurements?”

Feet and inches - still happen to be the most prominent aspect of circle “prohibit” signs, and this must be a lot to take in for someone who’s only been brought up on metric - including younger British-Born drivers!

I concur with the other comment above about the two bridges being misleadingly marked at different heights…
Through traffic - could easily make the mistake of subconsciously reading the first “plenty of room” bridge height here, and then plow into the second one on “Autopilot” - Right?

Winseer:
They never give out the name of the driver in these situations, which is surprising when it is surely an open and shut case for prosecution?
If the public don’t hear who’s done what wrong - then less people get to learn from the experience, and have to wait until any court outcome before they even knew who’d got done, etc. If one knew at the time “so and so got busted for hitting a bridge” - then if just ONE single person ended up not doing it, because they were double checking themselves - surely some good can come out of a change to a more “Name and Shame” policy here?

The public do get to hear who’s done what wrong tho. It’s about not jeopardising potential legal action. What more could you learn from this incident simply from having a name attached? Why would the bus hitting the bridge not be enough to cause people to double check themselves but the name of someone they’ve never met would?

switchlogic:

Winseer:

The public do get to hear who’s done what wrong tho. It’s about not jeopardising potential legal action. What more could you learn from this incident simply from having a name attached? Why would the bus hitting the bridge not be enough to cause people to double check themselves but the name of someone they’ve never met would?

If you knew that breaking the law in an expensive and public-disrupting manner - was going to lead to you being named and shamed at the time - then people would check, double check, and triple check they are not even risking hitting a low bridge…

Nothing deters people like “The Peer Pressure of Shame and Ridicule”

One cannot be too careful on this subject, after all.

I would argue that it isn’t the highest trailers that hit the most bridges, but rather the medium-sized curtainsiders that can vary from 13’ right up to 15’11"…

Its been around 10 years since I worked for First so not sure about now but back then there were no bus routes in cook street. After half a dozen drivers running out of service used cook street and hit the bridge with double deckers they banned all drivers from using the street at all even in single deckers.

My guess is hes fairly new and went left there thinking that was the road he needed to get over the clyde and into the city centre when in fact ir was nelson street further down he should have used

Negan:
Its been around 10 years since I worked for First so not sure about now but back then there were no bus routes in cook street. After half a dozen drivers running out of service used cook street and hit the bridge with double deckers they banned all drivers from using the street at all even in single deckers.

My guess is hes fairly new and went left there thinking that was the road he needed to get over the clyde and into the city centre when in fact ir was nelson street further down he should have used

Spare a thought for our Eastern European colleagues who have to understand our roads in English, a foreign language to them, in Imperial, a previously unknown measurement system to them, and of course “strict instructions written down” that they might get three lines into, and fudge over the rest, and just sign that they’ve “read and understood it”…

C’mon man - a lot of US would be doing that too, right?

How do you think you’d fare - attempting to say, do a run with a pickup in Warsaw, and then going on to deliver it to say, Moscow using a Bulgarian Tom-Tom?

I remember the Glasgow Guides case. The driver was given the work at the last minute. He said he had no idea how to get to the destination. Brown Owl goes no problem, just follow me. The rest is history.

Winseer:

switchlogic:

Winseer:

If you knew that breaking the law in an expensive and public-disrupting manner - was going to lead to you being named and shamed at the time - then people would check, double check, and triple check they are not even risking hitting a low bridge…

I would argue that it isn’t the highest trailers that hit the most bridges, but rather the medium-sized curtainsiders that can vary from 13’ right up to 15’11"…

Interesting to learn it’s the risk of naming and shaming that stops you doing things and not, like , you know, doing the right thing. On my big incident with the ditch it wasn’t that people kept shouting my name as they drove me and my lorry in a ditch that made me more careful, it was not wanting to put my lorry in a ditch again.

switchlogic:

Winseer:

switchlogic:

Winseer:

Interesting to learn it’s the risk of naming and shaming that stops you doing things and not, like , you know, doing the right thing. On my big incident with the ditch it wasn’t that people kept shouting my name as they drove me and my lorry in a ditch that made me more careful, it was not wanting to put my lorry in a ditch again.

Have you not got it yet? Basically Winseer thinks it was either a Muslim or an Eastern European and would just like to validate his racial bias by knowing a name. That’s it. Nothing more, nothing less.

It makes no odds to me if I know a name of someone who ripped the roof off a bus 300 miles away. The facts are that it happened, people are injured, and locally people will know who it was.