High earners child benefit tax trap

Those of you who earn over 50k and claim child benefit,you are supposed to tell the tax office by filling in a tax return.And they will take sone of that child benefit back.You arent going to tell them?
They are going to start chasing people over this.
If you put the extra money in the pension,you avoid the issue.Now,I know I keep going on about the pensions but the fact is,over my working life,I have sometimes worked long hours and paid higher rate tax and would have put this money in the pension if I had known.
Trolls,please ignore my post,not intrested what you have to say

Sploom:
Those of you who earn over 50k and claim child benefit,you are supposed to tell the tax office by filling in a tax return.And they will take sone of that child benefit back.You arent going to tell them?
If you put the extra money in the pension,you avoid the issue.Now,I know I keep going on about the pensions but the fact is,over my working life,I have sometimes worked long hours and paid higher rate tax and would have put this money in the pension if I had known.

Its not a new thing. HMRC have been chasing people for the HICBC since 2013.

It’s catching more and more people out this HICBC but if you have 2 earners in same household earning 49500k each ( total household of 99k) they don’t have to pay it. Wtf.

As you stated pension is your friend :smiley:

Sploom:

Well in my opinion…
Ah right, ok. :laughing:

Sploom:

I think if you’ve a SIPP pension and go into the higher income tax bracket you can claim extra 20% rebate from HMRC via self assessment or your Accountant.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Yes,thats right,you can.If it wasnt for that,I just wouldnt bother trying to earn over 50k.Because they take half of it off in tax and NI and then remove the child benefit into the bargain.

Robroy,feel free to comment if you want to…

I think it’s fair that anyone earning over £50k a year shoulders a higher tax burden. It may seem unpalatable but surely it’s right that those with the most should contribute the most.

Of course in the real world gazillionaires probably pay proportionally less than a truck driver on £52k but that’s an argument for a different place.

Personally I’d be ecstatic to be paying £2k a week in tax.

I dont think its fair.We pay taxes for nhs,defence,police and so on.If I work a rest day,Im still using the same services as the guy on a 4 day week.You dont go in a shop and get charged more because you work more overtime.Yes they cant touch the glibal elites who maybe only pay 2%,so the ones who work hard like surgeons,people in top jobs and truckers who work a lot of hours and end up in the top tax,they cant move like the global elites so they are the easy targets.I think they should let doctors keep more of the money they worked hard for instead of taxing them to the hilt,then when they cant find our own,poaching them from 3rd wolrd countries

I dont think its fair.We pay taxes for nhs,defence,police and so on.If I work a rest day,Im still using the same services as the guy on a 4 day week.You dont go in a shop and get charged more because you work more overtime.Yes they cant touch the glibal elites who maybe only pay 2%,so the ones who work hard like surgeons,people in top jobs and truckers who work a lot of hours and end up in the top tax,they cant move like the global elites so they are the easy targets.I think they should let doctors keep more of the money they worked hard for instead of taxing them to the hilt,then when they cant find our own,poaching them from 3rd wolrd countries

Sploom:

Actually if you work an extra day your statistically more likely to be involved in an accident and require the emergency services, so that really does not carry any weight for your argument. The more people earn the more tax they should pay simply. Sadly those mega earners are the ones who avid tax most of the time and don’t pay their fair way to live lavish lifestyles.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Sploom:

So you’re suggesting everyone living in the UK gets a , say, £12,000 annual tax bill regardless of their income? So they have to pay that regardless and any extra income they earn is their own?
Great idea, you should propose that! [emoji849]

Yes I’ve been clobbered by it this time. I won’t be next year - I shall make sure of it. I’ve upped my pension now (well, I upped it last year when I thought I might be over but was too late) and I’ve dropped my hours down. I’ll drop them down more after our pay rise kicks in too because I’m in danger of paying it all back.

I get the bit about those saying those who have the most should pay the most etc etc, but lets be right, those goalposts haven’t moved and it’s been an arbitrary 50k limit since 2013. It’s not gone up. That’s why normal people are now getting clobbered. I’m lucky in the sense that I don’t need it, so all I do with mine is put it in an account for the boy - it’s for him, not me, so seems only fair.

I’ve yet to do my tax return. I’m all signed up and have the info ready to go, it’s just a motivation thing. But according to calculations I’ll be paying back about £300. Now to earn £300 after tax and NI at 42% I’d have to earn £450 extra which is half a weeks work just to stand still. Post pay rise, where I’d need to pay it all back most likely, I’d need to earn £1800ish, or work for a week and a bit to stand still.

Why bother? Better to not do the work in the first place until the thresholds move. Welcome to tory Britain where millionaires get tax breaks and working people get the highest tax burden in a generation… Fantastic for productivity too clearly having a member of the employed workforce doing less just so as to avoid getting taxed. Aspiration nation and that :unamused:

I got a bit confused with the figures you mentined.What I do is divide the extra by 1.25%,then put that amount in a sipp,the tax reief is added automatically,then claim the rest back through the tax return,so if I earned 55k and lets say the higher rate kicked in at 50k.This would mean 5k/1.25=4k.Put 4k in the sipp,get the tax reief of 1k,(*1.25),then claim the other 1k back through the tax return,but if you use a sipp,best to wait till March before you put anything in it because if you found yourself out of work for any reason,once youve put the money in ,not being able to take it out again,you could end up putting too much in.This is what I did last year and havent paid any higher rate tax at all

Sploom:
Yes,thats right,you can.If it wasnt for that,I just wouldnt bother trying to earn over 50k.Because they take half of it off in tax and NI and then remove the child benefit into the bargain.

Ah the good old mindset of the poor…“Don’t earn too much or you lose your benefits/you pay more tax”.

No they don’t. First of all NI drops to 2%. Secondly if you pay it into your pension you get 100% tax relief so actually pay no tax on it at all.

Stu675
It wouldnt get very far,I realise but it would be fair,but I think,ideally,there should be some distinction made between money thats worked for any money that just flows in without you having to do anything although it would be difficult.But as for child benefit,I would end that because if you have children,its ultimatley your job to work and pay for them and if you cant,you shouldnt have them in the first place.Its not your neighbours responsibility,I dont think.

Conor:

Sploom:

Ah the good old mindset of the poor…“Don’t earn too much or you lose your benefits/you pay more tax”.

No they don’t. First of all NI drops to 2%. Secondly if you pay it into your pension you get 100% tax relief so actually pay no tax on it at all.

Yes,as I said,I wouldnt do the overtime if it wasnt for the pension tax relief,didnt realise about the NIrate dropping though

Sploom:
Stu675
It wouldnt get very far,I realise but it would be fair,but I think,ideally,there should be some distinction made between money thats worked for any money that just flows in without you having to do anything although it would be difficult.But as for child benefit,I would end that because if you have children,its ultimatley your job to work and pay for them and if you cant,you shouldnt have them in the first place.Its not your neighbours responsibility,I dont think.

But your neighbours have a combined household income of 99k and don’t have to pay back there child benefit. Go figure.

And to add insult if over 50k you can’t claim married tax allowance aswell :open_mouth:

I didnt know about the married allowance rule.It seems you run into all sorts of problems once you earn over 50k

Sploom:
Yes,as I said,I wouldnt do the overtime if it wasnt for the pension tax relief,

So you’d deliberately keep yourself poorer than you’d need to be just so you didn’t have to pay an extra 10p per £1 in stoppages?

Sploom:
I didnt know about the married allowance rule.It seems you run into all sorts of problems once you earn over 50k

It’s even worse when you earn over 100k. You start losing your personal allowance, effective tax rate of 60% the poor souls.

Conor:

Sploom:

Some how that government will tax the money don’t be naive.