Ways to warm up food without microwave?

Has anyone figured out a way to do it? I want to switch from eating cold sandwiches to bringing my own pre-cooked food in a box but since I’m not a tramper our trucks don’t have any microwaves or high power outlets to plug say a portable hot plate into. Any easy plug-and-use solutions that don’t require re-wiring the entire electrical system?

There are…

Age old stories of drivers wrapping spuds in silver foil and leaving it on the exhaust manifold. I can see the logic in that.

But, no doubt there’s some law from Brussels saying you can’t do that any more, if not Brussels, an insurance company.

You have two dilemmas, will I get sued if keep my food hot using this method or, will it quite simply, fall off onto the M4?

Some people on here have posted about the heated lunch box type things you can get, 12 or 24v and under 10a. I think they need a good while to get stuff hot so need to remember when to switch it on.

I think this is the type :

amazon.co.uk/Electric-Lunch … L4H7L?th=1

I would carry a gas stove but firm don’t allow it.

Will the company fit an Anderson connector to the batteries for you?
If not, awkward and untidy, but, you could get some long heavy leads (jump leads) with clamps on to lead from battery box to inverter, and use a mains microwave.
A bit easier to arrange if you keep same unit, bolt one lead to earth so you only need the live one going to the battery.
It is bstill do-able, but not as good as a properly wired in set-up.

njl:
Some people on here have posted about the heated lunch box type things you can get, 12 or 24v and under 10a. I think they need a good while to get stuff hot so need to remember when to switch it on.

This. Worth their weight in gold those things

switchlogic:

njl:

This. Worth their weight in gold those things

That. I have one, it’s brilliant. Will take about an hour and half to properly warm up food. I usually stop two hours or so before I get to where I tip in the afternoon, so I plug it in then, and my food is perfect when I have booked in and settle down.

njl:

Yeah, I might give this one a try though I’m a bit sceptical about how much engineering, quality of materials and quality craftsmanship can be gained for £30 incl. shipping. Definitely won’t be leaving it on unattended :wink:

ETS:

njl:

Yeah, I might give this one a try though I’m a bit sceptical about how much engineering, quality of materials and quality craftsmanship can be gained for £30 incl. shipping. Definitely won’t be leaving it on unattended :wink:

You’re buying a plastic box that gets warm not a space shuttle

I actually used my heated lunchbox for the first time yesterday, and I was very impressed by how well it worked

Magnifying glass and sunlight? And patience.

njl:

I have one similar, they take a couple of hours to get the food piping hot…

I normally have it going from when I leave the depot around 7am and its hot by around 9/10am…

It will over cook the food if you leave it too long though!!!

Old Skool- 2 boy scouts and some woodchips :open_mouth:

Get an electric lunchbox. For money can’t go wrong.
I used one for 3 years. Still have it but don’t need it anymore

Only problem I ever had was the bulb on the on off switch stopped working. Was a pain but what I did was just leave it turned on and unplug after use.
And they work on 12/24 v one I had could even plug into a plug socket at home.

Buy load time foil trays for about £1 from b m etc and can fill them with stew curry that’s home made and freeze them make sure defrosted before using them and the tin foil trays fit nicely in the cooker saves cleaning the metal box

The tinfoil trays help conduct the heat better

peirre:
The tinfoil trays help conduct the heat better

And Winseer will use any spares to make a hat :laughing:

toonsy:

but will it work if the only sunlight available is that reflected by the moon?

ETS:
Has anyone figured out a way to do it? I want to switch from eating cold sandwiches to bringing my own pre-cooked food in a box but since I’m not a tramper our trucks don’t have any microwaves or high power outlets to plug say a portable hot plate into. Any easy plug-and-use solutions that don’t require re-wiring the entire electrical system?

Invest in a food flask, I’ve got a 500ml Thermos one which is enough to take a tin of soup and it’ll keep something like soup hot for 8hrs or more. It’ll also keep stuff cold in summer. You can also get heated lunch boxes that run off a cig lighter socket.

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DGPPY20

toonsy:

LOL. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

In the UK? You’d need more than patience, you’d need a miracle.

njl:

Girlfriend got me one a few years ago.
Bloody brilliant!

I have used the amazon ■■■■■■■ 5 days a week for the last 8 months or so, curry, chilli, fish pie, cottage/shepherds pie, spag bol, carbonara, sausage casserole and mash, pre cooked new potatoes, peas, carrots, sweetcorn etc. Even lasagne (although as it only heats through you dont get the crispy on top like the oven) Basically anything pre cooked you would zap in the microwave can go in.

I work afternoon shift for a supermarket so breaktime is usually about 7, so normal tea time and was fed up forking out a fortune on rubbish like mc burger chicken. Get to store, plug it into the 12v socket while I get tipped and an hour later, hot food when I pull out for my break.

Only thing I had wrong was my fault, I accidently plugged it into the 24v socket (some say 12/24v but I am sceptical) Unscrewed the end of the plug and put a new fuse in and worked fine again. Probably half a dozen of the lads on my shift use one with no issues.