No more new smart motorways

Deadly smart motorways axed by Rishi Sunak
PM confirms 14 planned smart routes scrapped in victory for families of victims after Telegraph campaign

By
Tony Diver,
SUNDAY POLITICAL EDITOR ;
Jack Simpson,
TRANSPORT CORRESPONDENT and
Susie Coen
15 April 2023 • 5:00pm
Smart motorways
Smart motorways will no longer be built in the UK after Rishi Sunak admitted that the public has lost confidence in them.

Fourteen planned smart motorways have been axed after years of campaigning by the families of crash victims and accusations that ministers have “blood on their hands” for a “deadly” 18-year experiment on Britain’s highways.

Roads that have already been completed will be allowed to remain but subjected to a safety refit to increase the number of emergency stopping places.

Plans to convert stretches of the M1, M6 and M25 to smart roads have been shelved, saving taxpayers an estimated £1 billion and reducing the risk of further crashes.

Smart motorways, first introduced in the UK in 2006, replaced the hard shoulder on some roads with an extra lane of traffic in an attempt to reduce congestion.

Drivers who break down are instructed to remain in the road in their stationary vehicle while the lane is closed and speed reduced around them.

The experiment is thought to have contributed to the deaths of more than 50 motorists and has been beset by technological problems meaning that up to 40 per cent of breakdowns are undetected.

Construction of new smart motorways was paused last year in an attempt to collect enough data to prove the roads were safe. But in his campaign to become Conservative Party leader that summer, Mr Sunak pledged to stop them completely.

“All drivers deserve to have confidence in the roads they use to get around the country,” he said on Sunday. “That’s why last year I pledged to stop the building of all new smart motorways, and today I’m making good on that promise.

“Many people across the country rely on driving to get to work, to take their children to school and go about their daily lives, and I want them to be able to do so with full confidence that the roads they drive on are safe.”

Claire Mercer, who started the Smart Motorways Kill campaign group in 2019 after her husband Jason was killed on a section of the M1 with no hard shoulder, said the moratorium was “very good news”.

“The Telegraph has been there from the very beginning, and this huge step is partly down to its fantastic campaigning journalism,” she said.

In an article for The Telegraph, Sir Edmund King, the president of the AA, praised the decision but called for existing smart motorways to be scrapped along with any new projects.

“The scandal has left blood on the hands of those involved,” he said. “This was motorway widening on the cheap, and at least 40 people have paid the ultimate price. This is the scandal of smart motorways.”

Sir Edmund said the slow lanes of existing smart motorways could be converted back into hard shoulders with new markings, giving broken-down drivers a refuge from other traffic and preventing collisions.

Nicholas Lyes, the head of roads policy at the RAC, supported the call for hundreds of miles of remaining smart motorway to be scrapped, adding that Mr Sunak’s decision was “an admission that the Government no longer has faith in these types of roads – a conclusion that most drivers came to a long time ago”.

Meera Naran, whose eight-year-old son Dev was killed on a smart motorway near Birmingham in 2018, said she told Mr Sunak about her son’s death last year. “I spoke from my heart, and I truly believe he saw a mother’s pain in losing her child,” she said. “I knew in my heart that he would make the right decision.”

Relatives of smart motorway victims protest in central London in 2021
Relatives of smart motorway victims protest in central London in 2021 CREDIT: Heathcliff O’Malley for The Telegraph
The Telegraph understands that the construction of two stretches of smart motorway at junctions six to eight of the M56 and 21a to 26 of the M6 will continue because the roads are already three-quarters complete.

Ministers are pressing ahead with a £900 million safety refit to increase the number of emergency stopping places on existing roads by 150.

While early versions of the scheme included “pull-ins” every few hundred metres, many are now more than 1.5 miles apart, giving drivers no choice but to wait in the middle of the road to be towed.

Mark Harper, the Transport Secretary, said the rising cost of new roads was among the reasons ministers decided to cancel them.

“We want the public to know that this Government is listening to their concerns,” he said. “Today’s announcement means no new smart motorways will be built, recognising the lack of public confidence felt by drivers and the cost pressures due to inflation.”

The roads scrapped by Mr Sunak include four planned “all lane running” smart motorways, which have no hard shoulder, and seven stretches of road that were planned to have a “dynamic hard shoulder” that could also function as a lane of traffic. Three further pipeline sections on the M1 and M6 have also been mothballed.

Smart motorways were conceived as a low-cost way to expand the capacity of major roads at peak times by abolishing the hard shoulder and adding an extra lane of traffic.

The “smart” design meant any of the lanes could be closed if a car broke down, allowing traffic to flow around them at a lower speed.

It was thought the scheme would raise the average speed of traffic, and it was trialled on a heavily-congested stretch of the M42 in Birmingham at peak times.

The roads were endorsed by the austerity-era coalition government with Phillip Hammond, a future chancellor, rolling them out to other motorways in 2010 at a cost of £2 billion.

But the experiment has long been opposed by MPs and road safety campaigners, including both the RAC and AA.

Despite claims from ministers that the roads’ technology made them safe for drivers, a Telegraph analysis in 2019 found that four motorists had been killed on the same stretch of road in just 10 months.

Ms Mercer, who went on to become one of the most vocal campaigners against smart motorways, said she would sue Highways England for corporate manslaughter and declared that the project had “failed and should now be scrapped”.

In November 2021, the Commons transport committee warned that the planned rollout of smart motorways across the UK was “premature” and called for a moratorium.

But it was not until January last year that the rollout was halted by Grant Shapps, then the transport secretary, to allow officials to collect more safety data and determine whether the rollout should continue.

A plan was introduced to increase the safety of the roads with a radar-based “Stopped Vehicle Detection” technology, but The Telegraph later revealed that the scanners missed up to 40 per cent of stopped vehicles and that 80 per cent of alerts passed back to the control room were false alarms.

The Government said it would continue to offer motorists using existing stretches of smart motorway advice in an attempt to reduce accidents. But ministers are expected to face calls to reverse the rollout entirely and build new lanes on existing roads rather than converting existing hard shoulders.

On Sunday, a Downing Street source indicated that there were no plans to scrap all remaining smart motorways and that the proposed upgrades would improve their safety.

Shame, I like them compared with heavy traffic and an unused hard shoulder.

I’m going to start a campaign to get hard shoulders installed on all dual carriageway national speed limit stretches of road but apparently they’re not as dangerous.

You know the mile upon mile of unmonitored roads without gantries or refuges?

Nobody says they’re dangerous though… hey ho.

Might as well put this here than start something new.

Wtf do car drivers pull out from the hard shoulder to lane one at walking pace? I saw one today on the M25, and it’s not the first time.

stu675:

Wtf do car drivers pull out from the hard shoulder to lane one at walking pace? I saw one today on the M25, and it’s not the first time.

Lack of education and foresight.

toonsy:

stu675:

Lack of education and foresight.

And spacial awareness… not forgetting the ‘couldn’t give a bugger attitude.’

davidicke.com/tag/smart-motorways/

toonsy:
I’m going to start a campaign to get hard shoulders installed on all dual carriageway national speed limit stretches of road but apparently they’re not as dangerous.

Yep exactly, for those who refuse to use lane 1 ‘because it’s too dangerous’ :unamused: , and f/up the whole system .

Smart motorways.were/are a good idea if used properly as designed to do!! :bulb:
But what was not taken into account were the array of knobs, clowns, and balloons who either can’t or won’t use them properly…and not just car drivers either !. :unamused:

I quite like hard shoulder running. I came onto the M1 at J13 s/b the other day and as I came down the slip I noticed the matrix showing a 60mph limit but also that the hard shoulder was in use as a running lane. I ran down the h/s like a member of the Politburo as about the only vehicle on it while the rest of them bunched and repeatedly braked in lanes two, three and four. It was satisfying.

robroy:

toonsy:

Yep exactly, for those who refuse to use lane 1 ‘because it’s too dangerous’ :unamused: , and f/up the whole system .

Smart motorways.were/are a good idea if used properly as designed to do!! :bulb:
But what was not taken into account were the array of knobs, clowns, and balloons who either can’t or won’t use them properly…and not just car drivers either !. :unamused:

I lay some blame at the feet of education too mate. I mean its only recently learners have been allowed on motorways which is a start, but there’s very little public awareness made about them when there’s loads that could be done which to most of us here point out the obvious but to the more casual user could be useful.

For instance how many gantries do we go past that are blank? Or say x minutes to junction x? Now the latter one is handy to a point, but would they be more useful saying something like ‘next SOS in 1/2 mile’ or ‘in emergency use refuge’ or similar? Yes I get the information is there already, if you know where to look (on the marker bollards) and which signs to look for (the ones specifically about refuges) but having it in bright lettering might help.

I agree there’s nothing wrong with smart motorways apart from the people using them understanding what they are. That bint who is running the campaign against them needs to have a word with herself. It’s tragic her husband died but I’ll post an excerpt from the BBC article about it all today found here: bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s … e-60590112

"Mr Mercer, from Rotherham, died alongside Alexandru Murgeanu, when they were hit by a lorry near Sheffield.

They had stopped on the inside lane of a section of smart motorway to exchange details after a minor collision."

I’m sorry but… really? And can anyone tell me how that exact same thing would miraculously not happen on say the A43 past Silverstone? P.S I only mentioned that as I’ve just gone along it and seen a car obliterated on the embankment so it’s topical to me.

Yep,.when you read the details you kinda lose a bit of sympathy.
The guy paid the ultimate price for it, but standing on a live lane exchanging details ffs ? :unamused:
Can you actually blame that on the type of road?
Anytime my daughter is about to go away and use a smart motorway I’ve made sure she knows what to do if she breaks down with 2 kids in there.
(She had sussed it out for herself she told me btw )

And of course the government have jumped straight square behind it apparently because of safety primarily but I also reckon there’s a few billion reasons that are actually way ahead of the safety call and its just a convenient excuse to appear to “do the right thing” while investing less in the infrastructure of the country. Again.

So these motorway upgrades go the same way as all thise extra hospitals, the extra housing, the full extent of HS2, the northern rail project etc etc. Remember this is while we have the highest tax burden in a generation :unamused:

I personally think it’s bad driving that’s the problem not bad motorways. That and fact media seemed to over exaggerate the incidents

Some words I did speak on the subject of #SmartMotorways recently > TikTok - Make Your Day

Heatd an interview with some body on BBC news early this morning.
And basically the reason behind it is to save £billions.
Using safety as a cover story to be seen to listing to the public.
And if the country wasn’t in recession. Add into to the mix that HS2 has gone billions over budget
Thed be built.
Altough they haven’t actually stopped them theve just suspended building anymore
.obv in years to come there restart

edd1974:
Heard an interview with some body on BBC news early this morning.
And basically the reason behind it is to save £billions.
Using safety as a cover story to be seen to listing to the public.

Are you actually telling us the Govt are not being entirely straight with us,.have an hidden agenda,.but have managed to put a positive spin on it ? :open_mouth:
Who would have thought that eh?
I’m sure it has NEVER happened before.

You can never trust any of the ####s as I have always said. :imp:

switchlogic:
Some words I did speak on the subject of #SmartMotorways recently > TikTok - Make Your Day

Watched it Luke…
What are your opinions on trucks broke down on the hard shoulder in terms of what the driver does…not necessarily a smart M/way btw.

In a car, I get it,… get tf as far away and as fast as you can,…
But me personally in a truck, I have always took waiting for, say tyre assistance, as an opportunity to have a lay down on the bunk or a sit in the passenger side playing on my phone or to relax with a coffee or something .
I’ve seen artic drivers stood on the bank in the ■■■■■■■ rain and I think …Why?

Also getting pulled by the Old Bill and being asked to sit in the back of a patrol car.
I ain’t been pulled for a while now (oo er Mrs :laughing: ) but if I was I would be (extremely politely) telling them I would not feel comfortable being sat in the back if their car with all the vulnerability that would bring, and suggest coming off at next slip road, it would maybe ■■■■ them off slightly, but a much better option than dying .

switchlogic:
I personally think it’s bad driving that’s the problem not bad motorways. That and fact media seemed to over exaggerate the incidents

In one sense that is a self evident truth: if there were only good drivers we would never have any accidents.
However we don`t have only good drivers, as we all know.

Well designed roads take account of that. Badly designed roads dont. Badly designed roads dont cause accidents, but well designed ones can mitigate the bad drivers we will always have.

Yes, you`re right that it is bad driving that causes accidents, and that must be addressed, but poor road design is something else we can improve.

I don’t think it is poor road design

robroy:

switchlogic:

Watched it Luke…
What are your opinions on trucks broke down on the hard shoulder in terms of what the driver does…not necessarily a smart M/way btw.

In a car, I get it,… get tf as far away and as fast as you can,…
But me personally in a truck, I have always took waiting for, say tyre assistance, as an opportunity to have a lay down on the bunk or a sit in the passenger side playing on my phone or to relax with a coffee or something .
I’ve seen artic drivers stood on the bank in the ■■■■■■■ rain and I think …Why?

Also getting pulled by the Old Bill and being asked to sit in the back of a patrol car.
I ain’t been pulled for a while now (oo er Mrs :laughing: ) but if I was I would be (extremely politely) telling them I would not feel comfortable being sat in the back if their car with all the vulnerability that would bring, and suggest coming off at next slip road, it would maybe ■■■■ them off slightly, but a much better option than dying .

Rare to see police pulling people on to the hard shoulder these days. But frankly I’d get out of any vehicle. Rain or shine

It isn`t IMHO a binary good/poor design choice.

A road with a hard-shoulder will always be safer than one without.
It will never be 100% safe, but will be safer than not having one.

The original “smart m-ways” as trialed and approved had frequent refuges and proper surveillance.
What was later approved and rolled was built below that standard. No surprise that politicians went for the cheaper* option.

Bad driving can be managed by better surveillance and better warnings. Flash lights at those who don`t look at of the windscreen! Closer refuges mean less chance of vehicles in live lanes.
That is good design. It will never totally make up for bad drivers, but make crashes a little less likely.

*A definite false economy as evidenced by the M27: that was widened, then even before it was opened, was upgraded again with with more infrastructure and more refuges. Much cheaper and quicker to have done it correctly from the start.